Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do invented saints tell us about Christianity?
RE: What do invented saints tell us about Christianity?
To say that something plato thought was the "majority view" makes about as much sense as saying that since francis crick doesn't have an issue with biology, that's the majority view of christendom.

Most of christendom (and everyone else) then, like most of christendom today, continued to believe in the traditional..and very wrong..things in their magic books. Those things were the cultural inheritance of pagan influences in proto christianity (a category that plato and his thoughts also belonged to), which surrounded them on all sides, as well as coming from within. Even within the very, very limited field of proto christian academia, we have no end of examples of the shamans in charge of important groups arguing for, and yes..being argued against, on the subject of a flat earth.

There is seemingly no end to the excuses you will make for other peoples superstitions, and their history.

Continuing further, for the non apologists - the earliest positions on a spherical earth weren't actually all that enlightened or based on clear thinking either. Many were derived arbitrarily from some other set of myths or ideals, and even the people who held them had trouble understanding how it was that the earth could be round - how there could be people opposite and under, or why the water "above" didn't drain away and "down" to that other side, or completely away.

They resorted, in nearly every case, to god-magic as an explanation for all of this. It's understandable, given their place in time and lack of fundamental knowledge required to comprehend those ideas we find so simple and self evident today that we teach them to five year olds. As sagan put it, the simplest idea, like the concept of the number one, has an elaborate logical underpinning. They simply did not possess those intermediate steps between what could be seen, and the counter-intuitive reality it described. Most got it right by accident, which isn't exactly getting it right at all.

If we wanmt to point to someone who made the case well, it would be Eratosthenes, not Plato. He had heard of a place where a stick cast no shadow at specific times. Having a good idea of the distance between alexandria and that well based on others work in the field over centuries...he then commissioned an expedition to see if that was just a rumor, and, when it wasn't, they literally walked out the distance just to check it. Using that distance and the difference between the shadows angles, he was able to make a very accurate calculation as to the circumference of the earth, and he concluded that those effects simply would not be possible if the earth were any other shape.

He was also a xenophobic bigot who thought that superior greek blood should be kept pure from that of the barbaric unter-mensch. That last bit is fun, since...as a highly valued historical figure, he often gets credited for holding the opposite position simply because he had an argument with how aristotle formulated that same position. Modernizing his position to fit what we would expect of a vry smrt prsn. Exactly the same thing we do when we hear that some fucking nutter believed that the earth was round, as if it must be based on their greater intelligence and the value of their positions, or the community to which they belonged. Plato, for example, offered no justification. He just mentioned that some people believed that it was, ipse dixit, and this was likely not based on anything other than homers flat disc...with the added concepts of the stars in their dome above, the underworlds dome below....and how "perfect" such a form would be. A common mythological cosmology for the region.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do invented saints tell us about Christianity? - by The Grand Nudger - November 16, 2019 at 9:32 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saints writings on Jews Fake Messiah 14 2480 December 21, 2019 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Saints With The Best Stories BrianSoddingBoru4 18 1807 November 15, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How much of my personal experience should I tell the world? Der/die AtheistIn 10 1414 January 18, 2019 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Tell Me Again How Your Bullshit Is Spreading in Africa, Xtians! Minimalist 9 1374 July 21, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Should I tell my parents I faked being christian? Der/die AtheistIn 26 5689 January 15, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Tell All Book Says Pat Robertson Full of Shit Minimalist 12 3552 September 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Atheist73
  Tell Me Again How Great Fucking Xtians Are Minimalist 44 13377 June 26, 2017 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Hi, I would like to tell you about Jesus Christ, the only way to God JacquelineDeane55 78 21075 June 10, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4156 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Did Jesus Christ ever tell a joke ? The Wise Joker 12 2714 January 31, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0