Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 3:09 am

Poll: Ban Religion - are you for or against it and why?
This poll is closed.
I support it
19.05%
16 19.05%
I oppose it
80.95%
68 80.95%
Total 84 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ban Religion - are you for or against it and why?
RE: Ban Religion - are you for or against it and why?
(October 15, 2011 at 1:34 pm)Rhythm Wrote: They are both based on a perceived ethnic or cosmic superiority of a specific peoples over the "other".

They are both grounded in ignorance of the natural world.

They both leverage cultural norms to perpetuate their dirty little practices.

They are both used to oppress whatever people have been designated as "other".

They are both supported by pisspoor justification that amounts to little more than fear-mongering.

They are both used as a justification for crimes against humanity.

They both deserve to be dustbinned.

Does it meet my criteria? If it does, then it should be banned.

I'm not arguing that we should ban some as yet unidentified and unrealized religion, I'm talking about the ones that exist.

You do realize that Billgoatism will never gain traction, largely because it's missing those elements yes? There has to be a carrot to gain, or a hot poker to avoid, when dealing with the divine. It's not by chance or providence that the religions that we have are in the state they are in. They are reflections of our own minds. Either that's okay with us, or it isn't. To me, it isn't. I don't have any confidence that we could educate our way out of this mess because it isn't education that it relies on. The religions we currently have are all psychological predators. They play us against ourselves and each other. They've been refined for thousands of years to be more effective at exactly that. The harmless granny who doesn't believe in any of the nasty shit, who drops her coin into the collection plate, pays for the church that the racial holy war douche attends (or is the minister of). I can't help but see this as unmitigated evil. I'm not even a big good/evil guy, so this one is pretty much out of the ballpark for me.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ban Religion - are you for or against it and why? - by The Grand Nudger - October 16, 2011 at 8:57 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 dollar stands firmly against 1 hryvnia. Why? Interaktive 6 425 June 23, 2021 at 5:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  transgender military ban to go into effect Fake Messiah 20 2594 January 25, 2019 at 12:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Palestinian rock throwing, but isnt that against their religion? Kimbi 1 527 September 4, 2018 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why oh why are people on the righ so against LGBT folk? NuclearEnergy 10 2025 July 26, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why is the Democratic Party against the only person who could save them? Mystical 63 16317 June 3, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  This Is What You're Up Against With Drumpfucks Minimalist 20 2614 March 18, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Trump's ban on Muslims WinterHold 51 6628 March 6, 2017 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Pence Defends Trump’s Criticism of Judge Who Blocked Travel Ban Foxaèr 3 851 February 5, 2017 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Do you know why wars happens and why middle east is robbed? Safirno 12 2170 July 9, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Remember Progressives.... This Is What You Are Defending Against Minimalist 19 2719 May 27, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus