Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where do we go when we die and are you afraid?
RE: Where do we go when we die and are you afraid?
(July 22, 2020 at 9:46 am)Shazzalovesnovels Wrote: No, I haven't read the whole Bible (I'm only up to Leviticus to be honest).

So I haven't read enough to pick or choose. But I'll do what feel is right in my heart. I've noticed that most ethical standards we live by originate from the Bible. So how can people denounce it anyway when they're living by it (indirectly, but still living by it).

Can I ask, do you (as an atheist) believe that you chose to be an atheist so you could sin without a guilty conscience?

PS: Got a lot of time on my hands : )

Of course, it’s easy for us with our 21st Century, materialistic minds to dismiss the Bible as a load of rubbish. But in the actual analysis, that is exactly what the Bible turns out to be---a load of rubbish! It is a book of nonsensical, fantastic stories about talking animals, talking bushes, mythical creatures, people rising from the dead, magic and pseudo-history. It is the creation of ignorant, fallible men, reflecting the prejudices, superstitions, bad theology and fears of the times in which it was written. It promotes slavery, ethnic cleansing, race prejudice, wars of conquest, the subjugation of women, child abuse and genital mutilation. It promotes the worship and celebration of a god who is little more than an egotistical, homicidal, fear-mongering tyrant. It is a book which any reasonable, intellectually honest, and intelligent person should heartily dismiss as bad fiction.

Read the Book of Job with an open mind. Even as a kid, I found it to reveal a God who was far beneath what I reasonably considered to be a moral being. I consider that conclusion to be valid to this day.

Study other religions and cultures with an open mind. You will discover that most ethical standards that we live by are the product of human interaction and invention, not the Bible.

Sin is nothing more than a priestly construct designed to control people through fear and guilt.

I did not choose to be an atheist. My beliefs are involuntary, based upon an honest examination of the evidence, regardless of what that examination might reveal. One has nothing to fear and everything to gain from an honest search for the truth. For me, that search is still ongoing, because there is always the possibility that I might be wrong. As Robert G. Ingersoll once stated:

“Reason, observation and experience──the Holy Trinity of science──have taught us that happiness is the only good; that the time to be happy is now, and the way to be happy is to make others so. This is enough for us. In this belief we are content to live and die. If by any possibility the existence of a power superior to, and independent of Nature shall be demonstrated, there will be time enough to kneel. Until then, let us stand erect.”

Read Thomas Jefferson's letter to his nephew Peter Carr on the subject of religion. His advice is just a valid now as it was back then:

"Religion. Your reason is now mature enough to examine this object. In the first place, divest yourself of all bias in favor of novelty and singularity of opinion. Indulge them in any other subject than that of religion. It is too important, and the consequences of error may be too serious. On the other hand, shake off all fears and servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." (Introduction)
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where do we go when we die and are you afraid? - by Gwaithmir - July 22, 2020 at 10:21 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are some theists afraid of atheists? Der/die AtheistIn 146 48631 June 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4478 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Wish this nutjob would hurry up and die. Spooky 30 5968 August 11, 2015 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Why are Atheists afraid to insult Islam and Jews? superAtheistnut 107 16495 April 22, 2015 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Ultimate purpose without religion... "If I Die on Mars" Mudhammam 0 972 February 12, 2015 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Well what happens after we die? JohnNelson98 54 9201 August 16, 2014 at 7:28 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  You wake up in the hereafter after you die. Mudhammam 29 7317 May 25, 2014 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  What Do You Believe Will Happen To You Once You Die? Revelation777 154 20241 May 10, 2014 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: Elskidor
  Christians Hope I Die Tomorrow LivingNumbers6.626 12 3854 April 29, 2014 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  The internet: A place Religion comes to die Gooders1002 15 5947 April 3, 2012 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist