Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 10:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny?
RE: Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny?
(July 29, 2021 at 12:28 pm)Huggy Bear Wrote:
(July 28, 2021 at 7:32 pm)Paleophyte Wrote: Every 50 years?!? That's impressively bad. Pretty much a death sentence given the life expectancy back then.
Deuteronomy 34:7
"And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated."

Didn't know you were relying on a book of mythology for your demographic data. Even then, 5/12ths of your life, IF you live to be as old as Moses? You get a lighter sentence for murder in the first now days.

Quote:
(July 28, 2021 at 7:32 pm)Paleophyte Wrote: Now let's look at those ifs, ands, or buts that you claim aren't there. Just a little further down the page we find:

" And if thy brother that dwelleth by thee be waxen poor, and be sold unto thee; thou shalt not compel him to serve as a bondservant: But as an hired servant, and as a sojourner, he shall be with thee, and shall serve thee unto the year of jubile. And then shall he depart from thee, both he and his children with him, and shall return unto his own family, and unto the possession of his fathers shall he return. For they are my servants, which I brought forth out of the land of Egypt: they shall not be sold as bondmen. Thou shalt not rule over him with rigour; but shalt fear thy God."
Leviticus 25: 39-43

Translation: Thou shalt not have Israelite slaves. Israelites in your service must be released on the year of Jubile

"Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour."

Translation: You can have heathens as slaves, bought and sold as possessions, and you may keep them forever regardless of how many Jubilees they might live through.

So yeah, slaves according to god's on laws personally handed to Moses on Mount Sinai. No Ifs, Ands, or Buts.
Live I said earlier, POSSESSION does not mean PROPERTY.

If you let me borrow your PROPERTY, then I take your PROPERTY in my POSSESSION, therefore POSSESSION does not imply OWNERSHIP.

Hilarious watching you split hairs. What do you call a possession that you can buy, sell and inherit? Property.

Quote:'for ever' (two separate words) and 'forever' (one word) have two completely different definitions...

Really? What's the definition of "for ever"? Because in no definition I've ever heard does "ever" equal "fifty years".

Quote:Hebrew servants went free after 7 years, non-Hebrew went free after 50 (if your agreed to term of service lasted that long).

Forever dude. Or until death do them part.

Quote:
(July 28, 2021 at 7:32 pm)Paleophyte Wrote: Because or prodigious brains recall the tale of how the Israelites were slaves in Egypt without the actual word "slave" ever being used in the narrative. Or are you suggesting that Pharaoh employed indentured servants?
*emphasis mine*
The word "servant" isn't used in the narrative either so what's your point? MY point was you can't replace the word servant with slave as if they are the same thing.

That you can talk about slaves quite effectively without ever using the word and that the Bible does exactly that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny? - by Paleophyte - July 29, 2021 at 8:01 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3707 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1859 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Was Christianity started to control the masses and dictate poltical agendas GODZILLA 126 22433 April 17, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is Christianity and Islam so widely practiced? NuclearEnergy 12 2518 November 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Dawkins and Christianity rjh4 is back 56 19337 August 22, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9418 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  17 y/o YouTuber faces years in jail for insulting Islam and Christianity wolf39us 38 8019 June 2, 2016 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Aractus
  What is with refusing to admit slavery is wrong? ReptilianPeon 99 23195 August 25, 2015 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Divinity
  God in Christianity and Islam parakletos 24 6705 November 12, 2014 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: parakletos
  New age religions that threatens Atheists and Christianity repentsinners 5 1918 November 24, 2013 at 11:47 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen