Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 11:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism?
RE: Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism?
(March 31, 2022 at 8:45 pm)The L Wrote:
"The Grand Nudger Wrote:It's not now nor has it ever been impossible to create a religion of x - x defined as any collection of things religiously apprehended that any given person could find absolutely no quarrel with.  

AKA, good fundamentals.

The problem is what it would mean to religiously apprehend things. That isn’t going to be rational. And if it is merely being used as a synonym for passionate or emotional then you are redefining what is normally meant by a religion. Religiosity and religiousness are not necessarily the same thing. And we are normally referring to the former. Anything can be done ‘religiously’ or zealously or passionately. And if you are just saying that a collection of beliefs believed in passionately can be good then I have no quarrel with that but that is not what is normally meant by religion. Important not to equivocate.

If you feel as though a thing is sacred, anything, that's religious apprehension.   There's nothing more to it.  A-religious and irreligious people report the experience at about the same rate as overtly religious people, amusingly enough. People also refer to it as the sense of the numinous. You'll probably be passionate about whatever it is if you have a thing like that (I'm speaking in the general here, not personally of you), sure.  It would actually be weirder if people weren't emotional and passionate about something that meant that much to them.  

For religion, though - a unified system of beliefs and practices relative to sacred things, things set apart and forbidden, which unite a community into a moral whole.  Religious humanism meets those criteria.  There's really no end to potential religions of x - which, imo, is what makes the poor quality of our familiar religions so alarming. We might, for example, note that a person who goes to some natural park might and have a profound experience, and on the basis of that profound experience they may devote significant time or even their entire lives to the preservation of that place where they had that experience, they may develop a world view premised on it, and on their efforts to protect it..and they may find other people with similar experiences and similar efforts and this becomes their community. That community might go out into the world and preserve more, and recruit. This might escape our detection as a religion if it;s just the one guy, or one small mostly seasonal mountain town of volunteers - but if it isn't a religion from the moment just two of these folks meet each other it's on it's way to either becoming a religion or failing to be what it could have been for some unforeseen reason. Maybe the place gets blown up for a mine - and the community dissipates. It's happened over and over again. The desecration of a sacred site being a catalyst for the dissolution of a religious community.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism? - by The Grand Nudger - March 31, 2022 at 11:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Satan better than God? Disagreeable 37 2774 January 31, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is religion simply more about control than a god? GODZILLA 24 2937 January 8, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Drich
  I am a better person than God! chimp3 56 10410 May 24, 2018 at 1:07 am
Last Post: chimp3
  I am better than God! chimp3 24 4720 September 26, 2016 at 8:53 am
Last Post: brewer
  Creationists are better than inconsistent Christians orangedude 14 1936 April 27, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10984 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4974 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Study: Terrorists are motivated by Politics more than Religion Heat 23 4562 December 19, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: abaris
  Christian Fundamentalism vis a vis Muslim Fundamentalism Rhondazvous 12 2284 November 1, 2015 at 9:33 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19938 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon