Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prayer chains
Prayer chains
A prayer chain (there are other words for this) is when someone sends out a request for prayer. If you've spent any time on Facebook you probably have gotten a request or two. These prayer requests can reach people far removed personally from the person who is in need of the prayer. They can also last for years. For example a grandmother can pray for 20 years for a child to become a Christian.

The thing that has always bothered me about prayer requests is how unfair they are. For sake of argument lets say that prayer is effective, god exists, blah blah blah. If this is true then those with the greatest connections and/or the best technology can get more people to pray for them then someone who doesn't have these resources. So therefore a wealthy (by comparison to most of the world) middle class American who has a bad cold can have more chances of god caring for their needs then a starving aids orphan in Malawi (who probably is also suffering from some easily curable disease caused by poor sanitary conditions). Doesn't this sound a bit unfair?

Over the years I have asked this question to my theist friends and the best answer I got was "well god knows their (the unknown people) needs, he understands and will take care of them." Well if this is true then why pray for anyone? I received no answer to this.

Someone else told me that god weighs the prayers for the unknown people to a greater degree than the prayers of those who can have lots of people pray for them. All I can say about this is that it doesn't seem to be working very well.

Another great answer to this question was "well they are people who pray for these unknown people every day. They fill in the gap (so to speak)." In other words these people pray for the unknown prayer requests. Well, this sounds reasonable until, after some amount of searching, you don't find anyone who does this. Furthermore since the number of unknown prayer requests (there are a lot of orphans out there for example) most probably far exceeds the number of people who supposedly pray for those people shouldn't the church step in? Why don't they have corporate prayer every Sunday for these unknown people? No instead they care about things like building projects and prayers for safety for those traveling (not in dangerous countries, mind you, just those traveling to Dallas on well maintained and policed roads with a McDonald's at every town along the way.)

Someone else said that when you pray in tongues you are also uttering prayers for these people. I don't think I need to answer this one.

If you really want to get twisted off, then take into account that, if you are into prosperity doctrine, you can pay someone to pray for you. Here's an example of how this works (BTW I actually saw this on tv). Pay a certain amount of money (I believe it was $1000 or so) and become a "partner" in a certain ministry that does this thing. After the check clears (my little embellishment here) they will put your name and photo on a bulletin board in a well traveled hallway in their building. Every time one of their staff walks by the board he or she will pray for the people on the wall. All I can say about this is wow! I can outsource my praying! This is cool shit! Of course the orphan in Malawi who can't afford food, proper sanitation, and has no one to care for him or her can't pay for these services. Tough shit for them!

Ok, rant over.

I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: Prayer chains
I cant stand those emails that ask me to pray for people then asks me to send on to ten people or whatever and threatens dire consequences when I dont. These things will bring the internet down by clogging it up!
I've seen some of these mulitple times several years apart!!!
They just go round and round and gullible people forward them, my mum in law is a big culprit in this she falls for all the shit out there.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Quote:The thing that has always bothered me about prayer requests is how unfair they are

What about how fucking worthless they are?
(December 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:The thing that has always bothered me about prayer requests is how unfair they are

What about how fucking worthless they are?
I was still ranting in the hypothetical.

As for worthlessness, if a Christian is praying in the manner subscribed by Jesus (alone and quietly) thats just that less time they have to proclytise. Prayre has its merits.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2682 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 621 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Intercessory prayer is pointless RobbyPants 93 9909 October 27, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Group prayer on Skype on behalf of our Christian members I_am_not_mafia 132 15968 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  God limits himself to working through prayer phoenix31 14 3518 January 28, 2017 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The problem with prayer. Gawdzilla 286 23778 August 31, 2016 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Incognito
Heart The power of prayer JBrentonK 87 14796 October 16, 2015 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Stupid, selfish prayer requests Aroura 13 4290 May 31, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  Fallacies in an "Answered Prayer" explanation? Clueless Morgan 33 7402 April 26, 2015 at 1:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheist surprised when god answered his prayer Foxaèr 74 14598 March 16, 2015 at 11:11 am
Last Post: KevinM1