Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:08 am

Poll: What is the main religion (or lack of) in 100 years?
This poll is closed.
Christianity
9.09%
1 9.09%
Islam
0%
0 0%
Atheism
72.73%
8 72.73%
We won't make it that long
18.18%
2 18.18%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will be that main way of religion in 100 years?
What will be that main way of religion in 100 years?
what do you think will be the main religion/ lack of in 100 year? Christaniy, Islam, Athiestism or we wont make it that long?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: What will be that main way of religion in 100 years?
I am jealous of the future every day that I don't get to be in it and I'm stuck in the tail-end of the dark ages of religious oppression.

I think Atheism will dominate if we're talking 100 years.

Atheism vs. Some Kind of Deist bullshit will probably be the main battle.
Within the next 100 years, nearly every living thing on this planet will be dead.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
(February 7, 2012 at 12:12 am)JohnDG Wrote: Within the next 100 years, nearly every living thing on this planet will be dead.

Unrealistic, because even if we blew ourselves up, life would continue to survive without humans in it....
Well Lets hope in 100 years, Atheism will be the vast majority and the dominant view.
(February 6, 2012 at 9:28 pm)Hitchslap Wrote: I am jealous of the future every day that I don't get to be in it and I'm stuck in the tail-end of the dark ages of religious oppression.

I know exactly what you mean.
(February 6, 2012 at 9:28 pm)Hitchslap Wrote: I think Atheism will dominate if we're talking 100 years.

Dream on! The enlightenment started 400 years ago, and atheists are still a small minority!
Perhaps in a 1,000 years. Never in a 100.

But why would you even want to 'dominate' in the first place? That's an imperialistic, even a fascist attitude! Why would you want to be more or better than other people (except in sports or arts)? You even use a religious verb to describe that situation: to 'dominate' = to be the Lord...

So if you consider yourself an atheist you will need to rethink this whole 'domination' thing, Slappy!
(February 7, 2012 at 2:09 am)Rokcet Scientist Wrote: Dream on! The enlightenment started 400 years ago, and atheists are still a small minority!

Atheism didn't have the amount of influence, not even close. Science, technology or evidence is fairly recent to aid the corner of Atheism, that's why it took that long. It wont take nearly as long to spread from this point forward. A lot of people will be moved out of their fringe faith, and there's a lot of fringe-believers out there.

And of course a believer of supernatural crap is going to say Atheism is going to take a long time, you're as scared of it as Bill O'Reilly is when he says Atheism is dying. HAHAHA not even close. And it's not a small minority, you've been fed false polls that ask misleading questions about religion. You could probably get the average number of Atheists in America alone to about 15% but that doesnt include agnostics and spiritualists, they would just put them under the religious category. And in Europe its over 50% and up to 85% in a few countries. Youre the one dreaming if you think Religion has a place in the new world Science and reason are putting together...without religion's help may I remind you, and they also hinder the Science/Technology. Do you have any idea where we would be without religion? Traveling space regularly would be a reality without the scientific oppression religion caused.

(February 7, 2012 at 2:09 am)Rokcet Scientist Wrote: But why would you even want to 'dominate' in the first place? That's an imperialistic, even a fascist attitude! Why would you want to be more or better than other people (except in sports or arts)? You even use a religious verb to describe that situation: to 'dominate' = to be the Lord...

So if you consider yourself an atheist you will need to rethink this whole 'domination' thing, Slappy!

Do you wonder why I have as many Reputation points as you with about 3/4 less posts? Wink Just playing. But, Domination was a figure of speech. Domination in the colloquial sense would also imply that I would want Stalinism to come back with the Communist party back in power based on Socaial Darwinism. You're just as dead wrong about this as you are about religion.
(February 7, 2012 at 2:09 am)Rokcet Scientist Wrote:
(February 6, 2012 at 9:28 pm)Hitchslap Wrote: I think Atheism will dominate if we're talking 100 years.

Dream on! The enlightenment started 400 years ago, and atheists are still a small minority!

But why would you even want to 'dominate' in the first place? That's an imperialistic, even a fascist attitude! Why would you want to be more or better than other people (except in sports or arts)? You even use a religious verb to describe that situation: to 'dominate' = to be the Lord...

it's probably not a linear thing. 100 years ago functional atheists were probably a small minority amongst what were the developed countries in the world back then. Today they are at least a very large minority amongst all developed countries except for US. Today perhaps 11 out of 100 people in the world live in developed countries. In 100 years, it will be at least 3-4 out of every 10.

But in absolute numbers, there will probably still be more Christians and Muslims, mainly in the world's less developed places.

I will be long dead in 100 years, so could not care less what religion will dominate,if any,nor if the human race has gone extinct by that time.

The dominant religion as never made an iota of difference to the behaviour of our species.We will always be the same aggressive, greedy,and stupidly self destructive animals we have always been.
(February 7, 2012 at 2:22 am)Hitchslap Wrote:
(February 7, 2012 at 2:09 am)Rokcet Scientist Wrote: Dream on! The enlightenment started 400 years ago, and atheists are still a small minority!

Atheism didn't have the amount of influence, not even close. Science, technology or evidence is fairly recent to aid the corner of Atheism, that's why it took that long.

BS! It is empirical science (scientific insight) that started atheism/humanism. 400/500 years ago. With Erasmus, Galileï, Kepler, Copernicus, Huygens, Newton, c.s. It wasn't 'fairly recent' at all!
Atheism has had half a millennium already to germinate and grow! It hasn't gotten far yet.

Quote:It wont take nearly as long to spread from this point forward.

You don't know that, so that is pure wishful thinking, a.k.a. projection, a.k.a. auto-suggestion, a.k.a. self-hypnosis... Big Grin
If the past half millennium is any indication atheism isn't going anywhere soon!

Quote:A lot of people will be moved out of their fringe faith, and there's a lot of fringe-believers out there.

Projection.

Quote:And of course a believer of supernatural crap is going to say Atheism is going to take a long time

If you think I am "a believer of supernatural crap" you need to brush up on your comprehensive reading skills.

Quote:you're as scared of it as Bill O'Reilly is when he says Atheism is dying. HAHAHA not even close.

Double projection.
You seem to mix up all this stuff into a very messy fantasy.

Quote:And it's not a small minority, you've been fed false polls that ask misleading questions about religion. You could probably get the average number of Atheists in America alone to about 15% and in Europe its over 50%.

References please? Links? Please illustrate your claims. Without it it's just more unfounded projection, wishful thinking.

Quote:Youre the one dreaming if you think Religion has a place in the new world Science and reason are putting together...without religion's help, but also its hinderance on that Science.

Huh?
Can you rephrase that gibberish please?

(February 7, 2012 at 2:09 am)Rokcet Scientist Wrote: But why would you even want to 'dominate' in the first place? That's an imperialistic, even a fascist attitude! Why would you want to be more or better than other people (except in sports or arts)? You even use a religious verb to describe that situation: to 'dominate' = to be the Lord...

Quote:Do you wonder why I have as many Reputation points as you with about 5/6 less posts?

No. I couldn't care less about 'reputation points'.
But they are very important to you, apparently. Big Grin

Quote:Wink Condescension is fun huh?...

That's very relative: if the condescended is too thick to get it the condescender is just jerking himself off. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2722 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  If someone says science can't explain everything what's the best way to repond? ReptilianPeon 94 13272 December 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  17 y/o YouTuber faces years in jail for insulting Islam and Christianity wolf39us 38 7934 June 2, 2016 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Theist trope: "Is life just a game?", what's the best way to rerpond? ReptilianPeon 8 3126 May 20, 2016 at 4:06 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10747 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  If someone says to me "consciousness, therefore god", what's the best way to respond? ReptilianPeon 56 7809 March 9, 2016 at 7:02 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4911 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Justifying the way things are. Combanitorics 11 3591 October 31, 2015 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19845 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  First Temple to Norse Gods in 1,000 years to be built in Iceland Schwa 10 2723 February 4, 2015 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Alex K