Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good and Evil and control
Good and Evil and control
I have two Questions:
Is there really such a thing as Good and evil or are they perspectives?
and
Is there a thing as complete control?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Good and Evil and control
Do you have any examples of good or evil that are not subjective value judgements (good and evil exist at least as concepts that human beings use to describe actions or events value in relation to themselves, so the two choices presented don't represent the total field of available choices with regards to good and evil, they can be both real, and perspectives)? Just how exacting is your definition of complete (would a child have complete control over a toy, for example)?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
point 1: Group A kills people of group B for the 'greater good',
point 2: Government controlling is citizens for one or religion having complete control, or something like that
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Which one of those is good, and which one is evil?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Way to ask questions so incredibly vague we can't answer them in an relevant way without writing a whole essay.

On second thought . . . do your own homework.
[Image: sig3-2.jpg]
(February 9, 2012 at 11:18 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: point 1: Group A kills people of group B for the 'greater good',

I did that once.
Cunt
Then I took an arr....nvm.
Re: Good and Evil and control
Telling someone with real problems that, instead of finding real world solutions to their problems, they need to beg some imaginary god for mercy or,they will spend eternity in torment. THAT is evil. It is done to control the weak. Getting the hell away from them is good./rant.
This actually came up in an essay I wrote at University for one of my Philosophy classes about Nietzsche's view of consciousness. I argued that consciousness is subjective in that we all experience different life events that build our own unique consciousness. I believe the real question you want to ask is this: Is there always one right and one wrong, and if so how do we determine which is which? The majority will say, "Yes, there is always one right and one wrong." However, if you remove the collective morality from the equation you are left with very different results.
Which is exactly what you would expect of a concept arising entirely out of our collective opinions of "morality".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ugliness as a Tool of Social Control Leonardo17 20 1666 April 1, 2023 at 5:33 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Are cats evil beasts that should be killed to save mice? FlatAssembler 34 2390 November 28, 2022 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fireball
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3614 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 68474 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window. Mystic 473 50986 November 12, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Reasoning showing homosexuality is evil. Mystic 315 46667 October 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reasoning showing that heterosexuality is evil I_am_not_mafia 21 4619 October 23, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Wink Emoticons are Intrinsically Good and Evil Fireball 4 1090 October 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Is knowledge the root of all evil? Won2blv 22 5842 February 18, 2017 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Origin of evil Harris 186 22914 September 12, 2016 at 5:37 am
Last Post: Harris