Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
View: Atheists should stop joking about Satan
View: Atheists should stop joking about Satan
Let me start by stating this is purely opinion, not a demand.

Atheists need to stop responding to obvious Fundamentalist Statements with jokes about worshiping Satan etc.

The issue I have with it is that statements like this, while clearly a joke, have a detrimental effect on Atheism as a whole.
Now, Atheism isn't really a movement, its a description of a state of belief, but to me, that does not absolve you of obligations to those that share your philosophical stance.

The point being, is that while you are mocking someones belief by parodying their views in opposite, is fine when dealing with a rational person.
However, when it comes to the fundamentalist christian or muslim, we are dealing with someone who takes their belief beyond seriously. It is sacrosanct to them, they are used to;
  • Taking the written word literally
  • May not be able to differentiate between satire and statement
  • Overreact to mockery
  • Quote Mine to prove all atheists are devil worshipers and spread further lies.
Now, you may ask why should you care what they think?

Fundamentalism tends to run in close knit communities rather than a prevailing individual response to a philosophical question, and within these communities there are bound to be those who are "closet atheist" and too scared to "reveal" their thoughts on the matter, especially where there is a prevailing view that all Atheists know about God, but deny him to worship Satan. While we know this is absurd, it most certainly isn't to the worst of the Fundamentalists and only support their world view, and propagate the hatred atheists are facing in many countries, which may not be so bad if there was less stigma and more education about atheism actually means, instead of the lies of the local religious leader.

I do think we have a responsibility to ensure that we promote education about the issue instead of supporting stereotypes. If only to ensure that there is less ammunition to use against those who wish to air their own free thoughts in stricter communities.

While it is an extreme example, but a moderate Muslim joking about bombs does immeasurable harm to Muslims around the globe by propagating a false stereotype that may be misinterpreted by those unable to differentiate between a joke and a statement of fact.

I don't demand anything of anyone, nor could I. Perhaps this is a non-issue, and may well be, but I feel distinctly uncomfortable when a raging fundamentalist is faced with several "devil worship" replies to a particularly stupid statement.
Sure, we don't like been told we're going to hell, but we know the sad rationale behind it, and it only harms our own stereotype of the fundamentalist, and you just know they will go running back to their community to tell them of the evildoers, while those whom have rationalized and reasoned a lack of belief have to keep their mouth shut, perhaps for the rest of their life.

Thoughts?
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
RE: View: Atheists should stop joking about Satan
I share your view in the most part but I don't think anyone is obligated to do anything.
I have a better idea.

Tell fundamentalists to get a fucking sense of humor.

End of story.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(March 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm)Insanity x Wrote: I share your view in the most part but I don't think anyone is obligated to do anything.

I know, just stating my opinion on it. It makes me very uncomfortable. Anyone is free to say what they like, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have consequences when it starts to go beyond the occasional joke, but an entire page of Satan worshipping nonsense.

(March 9, 2012 at 12:06 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I have a better idea.

Tell fundamentalists to get a fucking sense of humor.

End of story.

Oh, I agree completely, but its not likely to happen soon.

Considering also, that a curious fundamentalist making a google search brings up the phrases and jokes out of context., and it won't look like a joke.

A mother whose son rejects the fundamentalist point of view is going to go batshit that their son needs saved from their rejection of God. Adding to the stereotype that we don't reject God, but instead worship Satan is far more harmful.
Like I said, isolated incidents mean nothing, but I note that it seems to become more prevalent as an attitude, at which point it does foster a dangerous image of atheism, and indirectly affecting those who are surrounded by those who believe in this image.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Wait...wait wait wait a minute. You mean to tell me after all these years that us atheists *don't* worship Satan?!? For fucks sake people, why am I always the last person to know these things?

Do you reckon someone on Craigslist will buy my sacrificial altar (rarely used)?
(March 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Wait...wait wait wait a minute. You mean to tell me after all these years that us atheists *don't* worship Satan?!? For fucks sake people, why am I always the last person to know these things?

Do you reckon someone on Craigslist will buy my sacrificial altar (rarely used)?

Your well behind. We are just angry at God now.
Quote:It is sacrosanct to them, they are used to;

Exactly.

Tell them to Blow Jesus Out There Ass and let THEM wonder why ole jebus doesn't strike the blasphemer dead.

Perhaps, eventually, after a long time it will seep into that shit-encrusted organ they call a brain that their god never does much of anything.
Not likely to happen, maybe, but an excellent point for humanity - not just theists, or even fundamentalists.

People who take themselves too seriously are the major cause of problems on this earth, in my opinion.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(March 9, 2012 at 12:39 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Perhaps, eventually, after a long time it will seep into that shit-encrusted organ they call a brain that their god never does much of anything.

Maybe after a long time. But in the short term, we are viewed as satan worshippers.

Maybe I was overly affected by the court case of the torture and killing Kristy Bamu in 2010 by the batshit crazy fundamentalist who thought he was a demon possessed witch (4 days of torture, maiming, and eventually murder).
While not directly related to most fundamentalism, I sometimes worry that with fundamentalists getting more and more batshit crazy by the second, promoting this view as a joke, will get taken seriously, and people who are brave enough to declare they no longer believe could be seriously harmed in the name of our "little joke".
Potentially I worry too much.

― Tim Minchin, Storm
I don't take jokes about Satan (or religion) too seriously. Most of the time I laugh at them. Sometimes I think to myself, "Hey, I shouldn't be laughing. They're just making fun of my religion." But still, I can't help it. Otherwise, I don't think I would have been able to stay in this forum. On the other hand, of course, yes, there are other theists who may get fired up if you joke about Satan or something about their religion. So, the point is that not all theists are the same in every single aspect.

Edit: However, I think that most Christians and Muslims do get offended by jokes which have a religious connotation behind them (unfortunately).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35417 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 568 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 14907 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Best argument for Atheism in my view Kimoev 29 3948 September 5, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Vince
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4629 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  If your child cries it means Satan is in him Ruckus123 8 1918 May 5, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  If you could replace god with satan, would you? Foxaèr 37 6530 April 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2206 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92810 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5447 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus