Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berkeley's Idealism
Berkeley's Idealism
Is anyone aware of a compelling refutation of Berkeley’s form of Idealism in which God serves as the universal perceiver that sustains reality by observation of all phenomena?
RE: Berkeley's Idealism
Yes, I here by refute it.

What can be asserted without evidence can be just as compellingly refuted with another assertion to the contrary.
(March 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Is anyone aware of a compelling refutation of Berkeley’s form of Idealism in which God serves as the universal perceiver that sustains reality by observation of all phenomena?

And he manages to figure that a single male God is responsible?

How did he come to that conclusion?
(March 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm)Chuck Wrote: Yes, I here by refute it.

What can be asserted without evidence can be just as compellingly refuted with another assertion to the contrary.

So a Berkeley Idealist is every bit as reasonable in their assertion as your refutation to the contrary?
(March 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Is anyone aware of a compelling refutation of Berkeley’s form of Idealism in which God serves as the universal perceiver that sustains reality by observation of all phenomena?

Or its the matrix, or the dream of a hyper intelligent shade of the colour blue or........... one of a million other just as likely things

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

If by "every bit as reasonable" you mean "no evidence is required", then yes.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 14, 2012 at 3:25 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(March 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm)Chuck Wrote: Yes, I here by refute it.

So a Berkeley Idealist is every bit as reasonable in their assertion as your refutation to the contrary?

No. You see, the assertion is without proof or evidence, and without even theroetically falsifiable prediction. So it occupies the absolute lowest level in the pit of worthlessness. It is even more worthless than an assertion that is plainly wrong but which is specific enough for the observer to determine how wrong and why wrong. So the assertion is useless even for the meagerest purpose of learning from its own error.

The dismissal of it, on the other hand, is not without evidence. It is based on the evidence that the assertion lacks any sort of evidence that warrants a response other than dismissal.

The refutation lies in the argument itself. If observation or perception is required to sustain reality, then who observes/perceives god in order to sustain him?
(March 14, 2012 at 4:14 pm)Chuck Wrote: The dismissal of it [idealism]...is not without evidence. It is based on the evidence that the assertion lacks any sort of evidence that warrants a response other than dismissal.

The problem is a bit more subtle than your answer suggests. Berkeley’s Idealism claims that all knowledge reduces to perceived phenomena. You cannot deny that perception happens. But you can reasonably deny that a physical reality (or deity for that "matter") is necessary to support perception. Berkeley’s Idealism says, “Prove that physical matter exists,” and “Give me evidence of any reality other than perceived phenomena.” According to your criteria, physical reductionism is equally worthy of dismissal.
(March 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: The problem is a bit more subtle than your answer suggests. Berkeley’s Idealism claims that all knowledge reduces to perceived phenomena. You cannot deny that perception happens.

I don't deny it. Denial would be an assertion requiring evidence, or at least a unique falsifiable prediction, to be worth making.

(March 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: But you can reasonably deny that a physical reality (or deity for that "matter") is necessary to support perception.

Based on what? The only evidence - perception, argues otherwise. Assertion to the contrary of evidence, and also devoid of falsifiable predictions, hasn't any claim to being "reasonable". No worthwhile reasoning either lead to it, or can flow from it.

(March 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Berkeley’s Idealism says, “Prove that physical matter exists,” and “Give me evidence of any reality other than perceived phenomena.”

To the maximum degree of evidence allowable within perception, no evidence for its non-existence is found.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Berkeley's argument for the existence of God FlatAssembler 130 13267 April 1, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Short essay on dualism, idealism, & materialism as concerns Q: What is a table? Mudhammam 28 4628 February 27, 2017 at 3:02 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Physical idealism bennyboy 92 10657 May 20, 2016 at 4:53 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  Idealism explained in 90 seconds Captain Scarlet 8 2572 October 22, 2015 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Idealism is more Rational than Materialism Rational AKD 158 45118 February 12, 2015 at 4:51 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Contra Metaphysical Idealism MindForgedManacle 71 14485 April 21, 2014 at 8:26 am
Last Post: archangle
  The Lesser of Three Evils - Intuition, Induction, and Transcendental Idealism filambee 8 2870 November 21, 2013 at 8:24 am
Last Post: I and I