Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it moral to kill when a cure options is available?

It is said that God can do whatever he likes. He is after all, God. He created everything and can destroy it at a whim if he chooses to do so. I do not believe this but will grant it as a truth for this O P.

Given that God can kill or cure, and given that we are to emulate, follow and try to be like him; it would seem that we too are to believe that sometimes it is better to kill than cure. I cannot think of any good situation to do this but that is just me. Perhaps you can.

Scriptures show God killing many or having men kill many. Scriptures show God curing on a few occasions but killing seems to be his preferred method.

Life, be it from God or nature, should be venerated. God does not seem to venerate human life even as he claims man to be his most precious and loved creation and even placing us above the angels. This indicates that he should venerate our lives yet it does not seem to.

In our human world, if a doctor who could cure his patient decided to kill him, he would be jailed and considered an evil person. In the believer world, a God who could cure and decides to kill is considered good and praised for his killing. A double standard. I hope that we will all agree that for a human to kill, when a cure option is available, is evil and immoral. If you do not; please do not reply.

Is it moral for God to kill when a cure options is available?

Does your God need to have good morals or does it matter?

Regards
DL
RE: Is it moral to kill when a cure options is available?
Quote:It is said that God can do whatever he likes. He is after all, God.

Actually, no one with more than an ounce of brains says that.
It's immoral to kill if a cure exists, as a general rule. Obviously there can be exceptions, but for the sake of this question, yes, God would be an immoral asshole according to the Bible if he existed at all.
Morality is defined by popular culture. So in truth it all depends on when and where you live. So you tell me. What does your morality tell you to do?
(April 4, 2012 at 1:08 am)Drich Wrote: . What does your morality tell you to do?

Ignore you.
(April 4, 2012 at 1:15 am)Minimalist Wrote:
(April 4, 2012 at 1:08 am)Drich Wrote: . What does your morality tell you to do?

Ignore you.

Because you didn't does that make you an immoral person?Wink
Yes.

Fortunately, I don't give a flying fuck about such things.
(April 3, 2012 at 7:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:It is said that God can do whatever he likes. He is after all, God.

Actually, no one with more than an ounce of brains says that.

I agree. Many believers are like that.

It should be easy to counter then.

Care to have a go?

KIS though.
They have a short attention span as well.

Regards
DL
(April 3, 2012 at 8:18 pm)R-e-n-n-a-t Wrote: It's immoral to kill if a cure exists, as a general rule. Obviously there can be exceptions, but for the sake of this question, yes, God would be an immoral asshole according to the Bible if he existed at all.

Thanks much.
It is surprising how few will give a clear answer.

Regards
DL
(April 4, 2012 at 1:08 am)Drich Wrote: Morality is defined by popular culture. So in truth it all depends on when and where you live. So you tell me. What does your morality tell you to do?

Reciprocity is fair play.

You answer my question and I will answer yours.
You show your morals and I will show you mine.

Further, you will know that some moral concepts are fairly universal.

http://blog.ted.com/2008/09/17/the_real_differ/

Regards
DL
(April 4, 2012 at 1:08 am)Drich Wrote: Morality is defined by popular culture. So in truth it all depends on when and where you live. So you tell me. What does your morality tell you to do?

Morality defined by popular culture??? Then why can a single person such as Castro from Cuba rise up and decide morality for popular culture? He decided who will live and that his people couldn't leave the island. Your view of morality is illogical, but I'm sure you already knew that.
James Holmes acted consistent with what evolution teaches. He evolved from an animal, and when he murdered those people, He acted like one. You can't say he's wrong since evolution made him that way.
Great topic. I like the way you framed the question. My preliminary response, off the top of my head, is as follows: A cure, such as you propose would require God to force them to change their heart against their will. As a general rule, the biblical God, offers people the opportunity to repent prior to smiting them. The prophets lay out the choice before both individuals and entire peoples. In other words, you must first recognize that you are sick and agree to take your medicine. Not always, In some instances the condition of some, like the men of Sodom, is so wicked that they have already abundantly confirmed their choice. God does indeed venerate life, not just the physical but the spiritual as well, the physical being a precursor to a spiritual afterlife. God smites the wicked who have already become spiritually dead, even though they remain physically. Once people have confirmed that they will not repent no matter what and are spiritually dead, God removes the wicked so that they cannot continue harming anyone else. Because only God knows the spiritual condition of people, only God can judge and smite. (BTW I just like using the word 'smite' because I don't get to use it that often.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moral Law LinuxGal 7 546 November 8, 2023 at 8:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 29268 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Reason why aliens coming here will want to kill us Fake Messiah 20 6171 October 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  It Must Just Kill The Jesus Freaks. Minimalist 10 2771 March 31, 2017 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  biblical diabetes cure brewer 30 8304 June 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Thumbs Down Bible says convert or kill the nonbelievers too. Thumbs down for Christianity... IanHulett 68 18319 January 5, 2016 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Drich
  Serious moral question for theist. dyresand 30 7374 September 1, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Why is Faith/Belief a Moral Issue? Rhondazvous 120 25400 August 21, 2015 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Recap - A moral question for theists dyresand 39 7320 July 15, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  A moral and ethical question for theists dyresand 131 17618 July 15, 2015 at 7:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus