Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another example of the religious war on science
Thumbs Down 
Another example of the religious war on science
Christina Dias, a computer science teacher at a catholic school, was fired when the staff discovered that she was receiving IVF treatment in order to have a child. She was called to the Bishop's office, and had to hear this allegedly celibate man who doesn't know the first thing about having or wanting a family, shout at her and call her a sinner. He told her she was a "grave and immoral sinner" who would go to hell for wanting to have a child when God didn't want her to have one. She was fired even though her position at the school has nothing to do with religion and does not require her to teach religious doctrine.

Apparently the Catholic church believes IVF is murder because some embryos may be destroyed in the process. We are talking about a bunch of cells here, not even a fetus. A bunch of cells that would never develop into anything unless they are implanted into a woman. Thankfully Mrs. Dias has a mind of her own, continued the treatment, and now has an evil child due to the product of sin (according to church beliefs.) Now she is suing the church and has been given the go ahead for her lawsuit to proceed to federal court.

Why does the catholic church hate science? Why is it evil for an infertile woman to not accept that this is "what God wants" and trust science to give her a chance at having a family? This is the same church that goes around Africa telling people that condoms cause AIDS. The Catholic church has a long history of hating science, and now they want to intrude into your ability to make medical decisions on your own. Should the church be able to get away with controlling people's personal decisions when it comes to medical treatment? Do you think the church is justified in firing this woman and telling her that her desire to want a family are the acts of a dirty sinner who is going to hell?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...g-IVF.html
RE: Another example of the religious war on science
(April 25, 2012 at 2:35 pm)Miami_Marlins_fan Wrote: Why does the catholic church hate science?

Is this a rethorical question?

The better (or at least more accurate ) question is "why does the catholic church hate women?"

Answer....goes back to that stupid fucking bible of theirs.
Quote:They at first tried to fire her simply for being pregnant and single, but realized they would be violating federal and state anti-discrimination laws.

So instead they decided the single mother violated Roman Catholic Church doctrine by using artificial insemination - which is considered a 'gravely immoral act' by the Catholic church.

Deadpan Seriously?

The thing that gets me the most is that this is the same church that protects child molesters, and protects their jobs so they can abuse more kids. Yet if a woman wants to have IVF to have a family, she is branded an evil sinner and fired from her job. Anyone notice the double standard?
I wasn't aware that they had any standards, let alone two wholly independent sets of them.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The people who have dedicated their lives to the church are quite upset that science has contradicted their beliefs, and it is obvious that like someone who refuses to be wrong even in the face of evidence, they just use their power childishly to lash out at those that they can. There are also many who just don't understand(or have not taken the time to understand) science and rely on old traditions to explain their world view. Which doesn't make it right, it's still such a cop out.
So, my child is an abomination in the eyes of the Catholic church? Good. Fuck them and their stupid fucking cult.

ETA: I'm just glad they can't go around burning abominations at the stake anymore.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

WHAT STATE is this victim of theocracy & theocrats occuring in?

Jail the Nazi Pimp Pope Joe Ratzinger alias Benedick.... he's killed 6 million women a year denying them life saving abortions & deadly disease preventing condoms & covered the pedophile felony rape of thousands of children for decades....
this teacher should win a million dollar judgement against this "employer" who employed a teacher of math or science or language that has NOTHING TO DO WITH HER OVARIES OR UTERUS OR EGGS OR SPOUSES SPERM...

BUT THE ATTACK ON SANDRA FLUKE IS WORSE.... she testifies truthfully about how Georgetown Law School caused her friend to become sterile, unable to have children for the rest of her life....

how ovarian cysts are treated with the same pills women take for having sex without condoms

....how religion has caused the pain of vulvadynia to go untreated...

how the Vatican has no business forcing their insane faith articles into any insurance policy or any doctors office http://www.hireLarryFireBobby.com 843-926-1570 @VoteLarryDis114 oust theocrat Speaker Harrell who killed 9 fire fighters with his scab laws denying them UNION SAFETY EQUIPMENT & UNION CONTRACT SAFETY WORK RULES... @AtheistVet @GREENS926_1750 stop the WAR ON WOMEN BY RETHUGLICANS & religious right Republocrats wearing blue hatsTiger
(April 25, 2012 at 2:35 pm)Miami_Marlins_fan Wrote: Christina Dias, a computer science teacher at a catholic school, was fired when the staff discovered that she was receiving IVF treatment in order to have a child. She was called to the Bishop's office, and had to hear this allegedly celibate man who doesn't know the first thing about having or wanting a family, shout at her and call her a sinner. He told her she was a "grave and immoral sinner" who would go to hell for wanting to have a child when God didn't want her to have one. She was fired even though her position at the school has nothing to do with religion and does not require her to teach religious doctrine.

Apparently the Catholic church believes IVF is murder because some embryos may be destroyed in the process. We are talking about a bunch of cells here, not even a fetus. A bunch of cells that would never develop into anything unless they are implanted into a woman. Thankfully Mrs. Dias has a mind of her own, continued the treatment, and now has an evil child due to the product of sin (according to church beliefs.) Now she is suing the church and has been given the go ahead for her lawsuit to proceed to federal court.

Why does the catholic church hate science? Why is it evil for an infertile woman to not accept that this is "what God wants" and trust science to give her a chance at having a family? This is the same church that goes around Africa telling people that condoms cause AIDS. The Catholic church has a long history of hating science, and now they want to intrude into your ability to make medical decisions on your own. Should the church be able to get away with controlling people's personal decisions when it comes to medical treatment? Do you think the church is justified in firing this woman and telling her that her desire to want a family are the acts of a dirty sinner who is going to hell?

(April 25, 2012 at 2:35 pm)Miami_Marlins_fan Wrote: Why does the catholic church hate science?

Because if they promoted logic and common sense, they wouldn't have any followers to promote anything to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The War of 1812! chimp3 70 8047 May 12, 2018 at 2:12 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  NDE of future war of demons masquerading as aliens scoobysnack 73 25947 June 12, 2017 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Is it really a war? BrokenQuill92 15 4737 July 18, 2015 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Are all forms of religious faith indicative of insanity? (My counter example.) Whateverist 25 3916 May 10, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Yahweh Volcano Fire God of War: Updated TheJackel 17 11679 February 21, 2015 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  World war 3 lifesagift 94 22150 September 22, 2014 at 8:21 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32896 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Religious Fundamentalism 'May Be Categorised As Mental Illness & Cured By Science' downbeatplumb 1 1478 June 1, 2013 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Christianity and Islam, religions of peace or war. JohnDG 16 10622 September 16, 2012 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: System of Solace
  Yahweh: The worshiping of a Volcano / fire GOD of War. TheJackel 52 31861 April 14, 2012 at 1:48 am
Last Post: TheJackel