Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self help for the already enlightened.
Self help for the already enlightened.
I'm new here, really not sure if I'm posting this in the right location, so please advise if I'm in the wrong place Smile

I'm 22, and looking for some assistance in finding a "self-help" *shudder* book on depression/anxiety/insecurity/relationships that make no mention of religion, faith, the spiritual, etc. It's remarkably difficult to find.

I would greatly appreciate your help on this subject.

Kind regards.
Your body is my ball point pen
RE: Self help for the already enlightened.
"Don't Let Emotions Run Your Life".

Can't recall the author offhand.

It may not be what you're looking for - its a dialectical behavior therapy workbook that's been very useful to me dealing with mental health issues.
The only books that I'm aware of on depression are more testimonials of the author's experience than self-help. Since depression seems to be tailored made for a person's situation, it is very difficult to create a comprehensive book on how to beat it that would work for everyone.

If you don't mind a testimonial, I am reading "Darkness Visible" by William Styron right now, and it's quite good.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 29, 2012 at 7:28 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: "Don't Let Emotions Run Your Life".

It may not be what you're looking for - its a dialectical behavior therapy workbook that's been very useful to me dealing with mental health issues.

Thanks. I should add, the best book I'v read of a similar vein to what I'm looking for, is Getting Past Ok; The Self Help book for People Who Don't Need Help by Richard Brodie. It's a combination of testimonial and CBT.
Your body is my ball point pen
(April 29, 2012 at 7:33 pm)superwoman20 Wrote:
(April 29, 2012 at 7:28 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: "Don't Let Emotions Run Your Life".

Thanks. I should add, the best book I'v read of a similar vein to what I'm looking for, is Getting Past Ok; The Self Help book for People Who Don't Need Help by Richard Brodie. It's a combination of testimonial and CBT.

I don't personally find testimonial to be helpful, but that's just me. CBT/DBT have been immensely helpful. I actually haven't run into any higher-power infested books, but I suppose that's a result of staying away from the testimonials.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Skynet is already here. ignoramus 8 760 June 12, 2021 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Already want to change my name again Foxaèr 14 791 July 12, 2020 at 1:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Who was already judged in a court ? viocjit 25 1901 March 17, 2019 at 6:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 750 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I'm already impressed by my new ISP Edwardo Piet 3 517 October 4, 2017 at 2:15 am
  Low self esteem, feelings of worthlessness, and lack of purpose Catholic_Lady 63 8763 August 2, 2017 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Self Wipe Toilet Tissue Aid KUSA 112 32821 May 13, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Self-Identities as a Mermaid Neo-Scholastic 15 1963 January 18, 2017 at 6:14 pm
  The-Boring-Self-Absorbed-Rambely-Bullshit-Thread Edwardo Piet 38 5382 April 19, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Your self in real life vs on AF Catholic_Lady 94 12571 February 5, 2016 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet