Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why It Is More Important To Be Atheist
I have a lot of Christian friends to who I end up explaining my beliefs on why it is more important for me to be Atheist than a believer of a God... thought I'd share:

I believe each person's time on earth is limited and when you die you are worm food and you don't get to see the people you care about any more. So you must really cherish the time spent while you are here, and make it that much better.

People tend to believe that to be atheist means to believe in nothing, as to a person without a purpose or belief or outlook on the world. I think it is an unfortunate stereotype for the "believer" and can be a closed door to a flow of thought that should stay open.

PS: Any atheist should have an open mind as well.
RE: Why It Is More Important To Be Atheist
(May 2, 2012 at 12:41 am)jut Wrote: I have a lot of Christian friends to who I end up explaining my beliefs on why it is more important for me to be Atheist than a believer of a God... thought I'd share:

I believe each person's time on earth is limited and when you die you are worm food and you don't get to see the people you care about any more. So you must really cherish the time spent while you are here, and make it that much better.

People tend to believe that to be atheist means to believe in nothing, as to a person without a purpose or belief or outlook on the world. I think it is an unfortunate stereotype for the "believer" and can be a closed door to a flow of thought that should stay open.

PS: Any atheist should have an open mind as well.
Well said, although I might have tempered the worm food bit a little myself.

"We just push boundaries, we can't help it if people don't like those boundaries being pushed." - Rammstein lead singer Till Lindemann
(May 2, 2012 at 12:41 am)jut Wrote: when you die you are worm food and you don't get to see the people you care about any more.

Thank you. If only theists can realize this is what happens when you die. Kinda makes me sad.. I wish I could visit hell. Sad but it's all lies. LIES!
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
This to me is one of the most offensive things about theism, it makes me feel like shaking them.

This life is all that we have, once it's over that's it - game over.

Does that make me sad or fearful?

No... It inspires me to make the most of our precious time here and enjoy what we have before entropy finally calls time.
I always tell people I have no religious belief system, often they thinking atheism is kin to religious beliefs. Instead, I tell them I lack a belief in any God, afterlife or the supernatural.

To me that is what atheism is all about. I lack belief in the supernatural/divine and work to make the most of my limited time here.
I respect you too much to believe that you could possibly hold those ridiculous beliefs. - Richard Dawkins, 2012
(May 2, 2012 at 12:41 am)jut Wrote: I believe each person's time on earth is limited and when you die you are worm food and you don't get to see the people you care about any more. So you must really cherish the time spent while you are here, and make it that much better.

Exactly. Thank you.
(May 2, 2012 at 12:41 am)jut Wrote: People tend to believe that to be atheist means to believe in nothing, as to a person without a purpose or belief or outlook on the world. I think it is an unfortunate stereotype for the "believer" and can be a closed door to a flow of thought that should stay open.

Yep, an atheist is someone who lacks belief in god(s). Nothing more or less can be inferred from their atheism. However, this:

(May 2, 2012 at 12:41 am)jut Wrote: I believe each person's time on earth is limited and when you die you are worm food and you don't get to see the people you care about any more. So you must really cherish the time spent while you are here, and make it that much better.

Is your personal philosophy. There is no atheist philosophy, and it's not more rational, irrational, nicer, worse, optimistic, pessimistic, etc. It's just one boolean value describing someone's belief state in relation to deities. I'm pretty sure you realise this (I'm not trying to suggest you don't), but I just thought I'd add in my two cents.
Quote:PS: Any atheist should have an open mind as well

There is one and only one 'should' in atheism; A disbelief in god(s). NOTHING ELSE is implied or may be inferred.
(May 4, 2012 at 7:37 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:PS: Any atheist should have an open mind as well

There is one and only one 'should' in atheism; A disbelief in god(s). NOTHING ELSE is implied or may be inferred.

Good point. I think it's worth differentiating between what atheism is (literally as you've said) versus what some of us would like an atheist movement to look like.
Quote:some of us would like an atheist movement to look like.

Perhaps also worth considering some of us believe that by definition there is no such thing as an atheist movement, and will not support any 'movement' or organistation making such a claim.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is life more satisfying as an atheist or religionist? FrustratedFool 96 4004 November 10, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me... Duty 385 32111 June 8, 2020 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Is being an atheist important to you? EgoDeath 63 6800 February 27, 2019 at 7:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8543 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  How important is it to you to convert theists to atheism? Whateverist 50 4873 November 21, 2016 at 1:23 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1781 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religious kids more likely to be cunts than atheist ones Napoléon 12 2775 November 6, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  That's pretty important isn’t it because if awaralarki 8 3196 August 8, 2015 at 8:07 am
Last Post: c172
  More atheist men than women? Catholic_Lady 203 29120 July 9, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why is Atheism more controversial in America than Europe? TheMessiah 19 4324 June 6, 2015 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: JuliaL