Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Origin of DNA
Origin of DNA
How did DNA come to be? as a Creatist linked me to this video Below and I am not educated enough to completely refute it.

the bullshit starts about 50 mins in.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Origin of DNA
Im not going to watch it, but I can guarentee there is an argument from ignorance.
Well can anybody explain how DNA came to be or have we not found out how yet.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
It seems to me that, considering that all living things (so far as I know) have DNA, it happened simultaneously with the appearance of life.
(May 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: Well can anybody explain how DNA came to be or have we not found out how yet.

We have promising lines to explore, but we can't replicate the entire process yet.
Science does not yet know.

And religious fuckheads will never know.
(May 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: It seems to me that, considering that all living things (so far as I know) have DNA, it happened simultaneously with the appearance of life.

No, some promising current theories suggests life predates DNA, and was instrumental in synthesizing the first DNA.

(May 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(May 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: It seems to me that, considering that all living things (so far as I know) have DNA, it happened simultaneously with the appearance of life.

No, some promising current theories suggests life predates DNA, and was instrumental in synthesizing the first DNA.

Additionally there are theories that predict RNA, TNA or PNA preceded DNA.
Awesome! I stand corrected... And should read up more on this subject. It's a fascinating one.
Just thought this might be very fitting here although it was generally ignored.

From http://www.bioedonline.org/news/news.cfm?art=5277

Quote:An elegant experiment has quashed a major objection to the theory that life on Earth originated with molecules of RNA.

John Sutherland and his colleagues from the University of Manchester, UK, created a ribonucleotide, a building block of RNA, from simple chemicals under conditions that might have existed on the early Earth.

The feat, never performed before, bolsters the 'RNA world' hypothesis, which suggests that life began when RNA, a polymer related to DNA that can duplicate itself and catalyse reactions, emerged from a prebiotic soup of chemicals.

"This is extremely strong evidence for the RNA world. We don't know if these chemical steps reflect what actually happened, but before this work there were large doubts that it could happen at all," says Donna Blackmond, a chemist at Imperial College London.

Molecular choreography

An RNA polymer is a string of ribonucleotides, each made up of three distinct parts: a ribose sugar, a phosphate group and a base — either cytosine or uracil, known as pyrimidines, or the purines guanine or adenine. Imagining how such a polymer might have formed spontaneously, chemists had thought the subunits would probably assemble themselves first, then join to form a ribonucleotide. But even in the controlled atmosphere of a laboratory, efforts to connect ribose and base together have met with frustrating failure.

The Manchester researchers have now managed to synthesise both pyrimidine ribonucleotides. Their remedy is to avoid producing separate ribose-sugar and base subunits. Instead, Sutherland's team makes a molecule whose scaffolding contains a bond that will turn out to be the key ribose-base connection. Further atoms are then added around this skeleton, which unfurls to create the ribonucleotide.

The final connection is to add a phosphate group. But that phosphate, although only a reactant in the final stages of the sequence, influences the entire synthesis, Sutherland's team showed. By buffering acidity and acting as a catalyst, it guides small organic molecules into making the right connections.

"We had a suspicion there was something good out there, but it took us 12 years to find it," Sutherland says. "What we have ended up with is molecular choreography, where the molecules are unwitting choreographers." Next, he says, he expects to make purine ribonucleotides using a similar approach.

The start of something special?

Although Sutherland has shown that it is possible to build one part of RNA from small molecules, objectors to the RNA-world theory say the RNA molecule as a whole is too complex to be created using early-Earth geochemistry. "The flaw with this kind of research is not in the chemistry. The flaw is in the logic — that this experimental control by researchers in a modern laboratory could have been available on the early Earth," says Robert Shapiro, a chemist at New York University.

Sutherland points out that the sequence of steps he uses is consistent with early-Earth scenarios — those involving methods such as heating molecules in water, evaporating them and irradiating them with ultraviolet light. And breaking RNA's synthesis down into small, laboratory-controlled steps is merely a pragmatic starting point, he says, adding that his team also has results showing that they can string nucleotides together, once they have formed. "My ultimate goal is to get a living system (RNA) emerging from a one-pot experiment. We can pull this off. We just need to know what the constraints on the conditions are first."

Shapiro sides with supporters of another theory of life's origins – that because RNA is too complex to emerge from small molecules, simpler metabolic processes, which eventually catalysed the formation of RNA and DNA, were the first stirrings of life on Earth.

"They're perfectly entitled to disagree with us. But having got experimental results, we are on the high ground," says Sutherland.

"Ultimately, the challenge of prebiotic chemistry is that there is no way of validating historical hypotheses, however convincing an individual experiment," points out Steven Benner, who studies origin-of-life chemistry at the Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution, a non-profit research centre in Gainesville, Florida.

Sutherland, though, hopes that ingenious organic chemistry might provide an RNA synthesis so convincing that it effectively serves as proof. "We might come up with something so coincidental that one would have to believe it," he says. "That is the goal of my career."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cloning is safer - the perils of sexual DNA combination? Duty 21 1612 October 14, 2021 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Where in our dna are instincts coded? ignoramus 8 1068 December 8, 2018 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Carthaginian DNA - Not So Much Of A Surprise. Minimalist 0 1284 May 26, 2016 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Minimalist
Question Where is the evolution tree for DNA? JamesT 4 987 April 28, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Researchers may have solved origin-of-life conundrum TubbyTubby 6 2344 March 19, 2015 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  DNA replication vid. MAN I LOVE THIS VIDEO! Brian37 7 1896 March 4, 2015 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Woman cured of disease by DNA mutation downbeatplumb 9 2134 February 9, 2015 at 3:43 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  Cave art discovery in Indonesia force rethink of origin of art. Anomalocaris 20 4573 October 11, 2014 at 12:24 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  People more likely to choose a spouse with similar DNA MountainsWinAgain 3 1034 May 28, 2014 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Origin of life[metabolism] Marsellus Wallace 0 811 March 14, 2014 at 5:38 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace