Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:13 pm

Poll: What Would Happen if Christianity Went on Strike?
This poll is closed.
Christianity would Survive, through Gods intervention
11.11%
2 11.11%
Christianity would Die, but remains true, as God would not intervene
0%
0 0%
Christianity would Die as it is probably false
55.56%
10 55.56%
Other
33.33%
6 33.33%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Would Happen if Christianity Went on Strike?
What Would Happen if Christianity Went on Strike?
I came across this thought experiment in a blog I read, but the argument goes thusly;

What would happen if Christianity went on Strike...
That means, no proselytizing, no praying, no evangelizing, no talking about Jesus, no apologetics.

What would happen to Christianity if this were to happen.

Would the Christian God intervene, or would he allow mankind to go to hell, one and all.

By removing the human element of propagation of the faith, the only avenue for the survival of Christianity, would be through independent revelation from God/Jesus/Spirit.

The hypothesis, is that Christianity would die out, disappear completely without humans spreading it like a disease.

The question is; If you have faith that your religion is true, why do apologetics, and proselytizers work so hard to defend it. God requires defending only means that there is no faith that God would do ANYTHING to defend himself.

What if Christians didn't share their faith with anyone else? Grant this and then ask yourself if there is anything about the Christian religion that would survive into the future.

Personally, I think this is a fair assessment, any faith, without an actual deity behind it, is doomed to die out, without the proselytizing of its believers.
It would perhaps be replaced by something else.

Basically;
1. If Christianity is true then the Christian faith will probably not die out if Christians stop proselytizing.
2. The Christian faith will probably die out if Christians stop proselytizing.
3. Therefore Christianity is probably false.

Now, the obvious answer is, why do we assume it would die out, which is exactly the question I pose to the Christian. If it is probably not true, what would survive if believers kept their faith entirely to themselves.

If Premise 3 is non-sequitor, then do you accept that God has no interest in whether Christianity survives or not, instead leaving it entirely up to mankind to choose what to do, and if so, quite willing to send each and every one of us to hell (in some denominations).

EDIT: Note on poll, given that it is an Atheist Forum, the results are almost certainly biased, but I'm more interested in what Christians think their God would do
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
RE: What Would Happen if Christianity Went on Strike?
It would go the way of every other religion that men have invented.

Into oblivion.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
It would end up a "quaint theology indicative of a primitive peoples" like every other man made ideology.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
You forgot the 'WTF?" option there NMF. Sorry. Big Grin
(May 14, 2012 at 9:11 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: I came across this thought experiment in a blog I read, but the argument goes thusly;

What would happen if Christianity went on Strike...
That means, no proselytizing, no praying, no evangelizing, no talking about Jesus, no apologetics.

What would happen to Christianity if this were to happen.

Would the Christian God intervene, or would he allow mankind to go to hell, one and all.

By removing the human element of propagation of the faith, the only avenue for the survival of Christianity, would be through independent revelation from God/Jesus/Spirit.

The hypothesis, is that Christianity would die out, disappear completely without humans spreading it like a disease.

The question is; If you have faith that your religion is true, why do apologetics, and proselytizers work so hard to defend it. God requires defending only means that there is no faith that God would do ANYTHING to defend himself.

What if Christians didn't share their faith with anyone else? Grant this and then ask yourself if there is anything about the Christian religion that would survive into the future.

Personally, I think this is a fair assessment, any faith, without an actual deity behind it, is doomed to die out, without the proselytizing of its believers.
It would perhaps be replaced by something else.

Basically;
1. If Christianity is true then the Christian faith will probably not die out if Christians stop proselytizing.
2. The Christian faith will probably die out if Christians stop proselytizing.
3. Therefore Christianity is probably false.

Now, the obvious answer is, why do we assume it would die out, which is exactly the question I pose to the Christian. If it is probably not true, what would survive if believers kept their faith entirely to themselves.

If Premise 3 is non-sequitor, then do you accept that God has no interest in whether Christianity survives or not, instead leaving it entirely up to mankind to choose what to do, and if so, quite willing to send each and every one of us to hell (in some denominations).

EDIT: Note on poll, given that it is an Atheist Forum, the results are almost certainly biased, but I'm more interested in what Christians think their God would do

Interesting experiment. Here are my views.

Firstly, strike here is somewhat vague. Even if the Christians stop proselytizing, would they stop practicing as well. It is possible for Christianity to survive through sheer reproductive potential - assuming that children who grow up with parents practicing Christian traditions and around Christian literature would automatically become Christians, even if they are not actively indoctrinated.

Another possibility is, suppose the complete practice of the religion comes to a halt. Suppose everyone starts thinking of Christianity the way they think of Greek Mythology and start teaching their children the same way - alternatively reading to them the "Once upon a time..." stories or the Bible (especially when they want the kids to fall asleep fast). Even so, the records Christianity would survive. And given the very character of human beings, it is probable - nay, expected - that someone down the future would start believing the crap again and start proselytizing. Christians right now would view that expected event as god's intervention, even though it would just be a matter of statistics.
Quote:What would happen if Christianity went on Strike...

I, personally, would find them less despicable.
I think it would survive as long as the bible survives and there are people around to read it. The bible is the best selling book of all time after all.
(May 14, 2012 at 12:06 pm)SophiaGrace Wrote: I think it would survive as long as the bible survives and there are people around to read it. The bible is the best selling book of all time after all.

No, stupid books though by idiots to be holy have survived long after the last idiot who thought it holy died out.

(May 14, 2012 at 9:11 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote:

Jesus told you what would happen read scriptures and you will find answers.
Luke 19:38 ... "Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the LORD;
Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!"
39 And some of the Pharisees in the multitude said to Him, "Teacher, rebuke Your disciples."
40 And He answered and said, "I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out!"
God will never let the Gospel of Christ go silent, period.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(May 14, 2012 at 6:24 pm)Godschild Wrote: Jesus told you what would happen read scriptures and you will find answers.
Luke 19:38 ... "Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the LORD;
Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!"
39 And some of the Pharisees in the multitude said to Him, "Teacher, rebuke Your disciples."
40 And He answered and said, "I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out!"
God will never let the Gospel of Christ go silent, period.

So, your answer to "what would happen" is "it would not happen"? Intellectual dishonesty ftw.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is going to happen when Jesus returns? Fake Messiah 21 2275 March 19, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1655 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Dinesh D'Souza went to jail?! Jehanne 12 1881 June 3, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Catholicism would actually be the most likely controlled Christianity Rolandson 10 1964 January 1, 2017 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Redoubtable
  Virgin Births happen all the time?! Jehanne 11 2720 December 20, 2016 at 5:32 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ? Emzap 62 11122 November 4, 2016 at 2:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  I went to church today Longhorn 30 6453 August 24, 2016 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6773 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What It Would Take: Or Bullocks To Christianity! Manalive 10 2737 August 21, 2015 at 4:07 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Bad/Good Things That Happen Without the Aid of a Deity Nope 30 9731 June 11, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd