Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Hellfire A Bible Teaching?
Is Hellfire A Bible Teaching?
ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

The teaching of hellfire is commonplace in Christendom and non-Christian religions. This teaching defames the Creator and portrays him as a sadist who tortures people in flames of fire for all eternity—as punishment for wrongdoing committed during the relatively brief human lifespan. The hellfire dogma was brought into Christianity by the Roman Catholics who copied it from pagan religions. (Pagans are those who do not worship the God of the Judeo-Christian Bible.)

The Bible makes it clear as to how God views the ritual burning of people. Jehovah ended up rejecting the ancient Israelites after they got involved with pagan worship, which included burning their children to death.

"And they [the Israelites/sons of Judah] have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, a thing that I had not commanded and that HAD NOT COME UP INTO MY HEART." (Jeremiah 7:31)

"{58} And they kept offending him with their high places, and with their graven images they kept inciting him to jealousy. {59} God heard and got to be furious, and he condemned Israel very much. {60} And he finally forsook the tabernacle of Shiloh, the tent in which he resided among earthling men."
(Psalms 78:58-60)

The scriptures indicate that hell is nothing more than mankind’s common grave. Proof of this is provided by a verse of scripture in the Bible, which no hellfire-believing Christian can explain away. I’m referring to the scripture that says Jesus Christ--the epitome of a perfect, sinless, and obedient man--died and went to hell.

"{21} In fact, to this course you were called, because even Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely. {22} He committed no sin, nor was deception found in his mouth." (1 Peter 2:21-22)

"He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that HIS SOUL WAS NOT LEFT IN HELL, neither his flesh did see corruption."
(Acts 2:31--King James Version)

NOTE #1: The Bible uses the word "fire" symbolically to indicate cleansing OR permanent death OR permanent destruction. In the few times when the Bible used the word "fire" literally, it was with reference to events such as the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah--at which point, the individuals did not suffer eternal torment, they died immediately.

NOTE #2: the words "Hell" and "Hades" and "Sheol" and "Pit" are synonyms that mean THE GRAVE (of mankind).

NOTE #3: In the Bible, the expression "the lake of fire" and the word "Gehenna" are figurative or symbolic language that refer to permanent death or permanent destruction.

NOTE #4: "High Places" as used in the scriptures that I quote in this thread refer to the worship of the false gods.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:
According to Jeremiah 7:31, did Jehovah command the ancient Israelites to burn anyone in the fire?

2. According to Jeremiah 7:31, did the burning of people come to God's heart?

3. According to Jeremiah 7:31 and Psalms 78:58-59, did the ancient Israelites offend God by getting involved with false worship in their "high places", which included burning people to death?

4. According to those who teach hellfire torment, hell is a place for people who are wicked and sinful. If Hellfire is for wicked people, why did Jesus spend three days in hell--considering that it says at 1 Peter 2:22 that he did not commit any sin?

5. Jesus obeyed Jehovah and died a slow and torturous death for mankind. Hadn't he suffered enough? He'd suffered terribly--because of being obedient to his Heavenly Father. So why was he being punished again with burning hellfire? What's the logic for punishing him all over again?

6. Recall that after Jesus' resurrection, he appeared and spoke to several of his faithful apostles on different occasions before he returned to heaven. Why is it that Jesus made no mention to any of his apostles--after his resurrection--that he went to hell where he burned for three days?

7. When people are being tortured in hellfire, wouldn't they have to KNOW or be conscious/aware of the fact that they are being burned? I mean to say, what's the point of punishing people in hell if they aren't even aware?

8. Those who believe in eternal torment say that the person's soul is being burned forever. What is the soul? Is it something separate from the person's body? Are animals souls also or is this only for humans?

RE: Is Hellfire A Bible Teaching?
Thanks, I feel much better now :S
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I don't believe in Hellfire preaching (especially without spreading a message of love) as being Biblical. I don't really think converting to a religion just because you fear Hell as real faith. There was a great Suffi philosopher that said if the only reason he worshiped God was to void Hell, that he should in fact be sent to Hell.

Now I do like preaching love, but there are many Christians that believe that preaching love without preaching the consequences as not being Biblical.

So the best is to incorporate love and fear in that case such in this example.

Quote: 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Ah, yet another interpretation of the bible. What makes you think yours is more valid?

Also, this quote quite clearly says hellfire:

But I say unto you, that whosoever is angry with his brother without cause shall be in danger of judgement: and whosoever say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Matthew 5:22
Stay tuned for more cuckoo craziness with Alter2Ego's rigged babble studies!
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Hey, at least she's not telling everyone who doesn't agree with her that they're hellbound.
@ Alter2Ego, if there is no hell then were is the punishment, where is the justice God promises.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Yeah, all those douchebags who cut me off in traffic deserve JUSTICE!. There has to be a hell. Just has to...I need there to be a hell, please let there be a hell...Confusedobs:...I really really need to believe there's a hell...I've been wronged...

Jerkoff
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Hey, at least she's not telling everyone who doesn't agree with her that they're hellbound.

But there is always another christian ready to step in to rectify the perception of any redeeming qualities in the true faith.

(May 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm)Godschild Wrote: @ Alter2Ego, if there is no hell then were is the punishment, where is the justice God promises.

ROFLOLROFLOL

(May 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Yeah, all those douchebags who cut me off in traffic deserve JUSTICE!. There has to be a hell. Just has to...I need there to be a hell, please let there be a hell...Confusedobs:...I really really need to believe there's a hell...I've been wronged...

Jerkoff

Don't worry you little self to death over this, hell is coming if you do not change.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44046 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Theists teaching children Foxaèr 20 2415 March 14, 2016 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  what are they teaching in seminaries these days? drfuzzy 14 4088 August 28, 2015 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7433 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Where Did The Trinity Teaching Come From? Alter2Ego 13 4568 March 17, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Should God the Father adore man for teaching him better morals and ethics than what he has taught man? Greatest I am 21 9455 March 13, 2013 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Where Did the Trinity Teaching Come From? Alter2Ego 80 33824 June 6, 2012 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: parabola