Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twitter "debate" on Islam
Twitter "debate" on Islam
So I thought I'd let you all know that I'm having some kind of long-winded debate with a guy on Twitter about whether Islam should be banned because it espouses ideas that go against human rights.

Naturally, I am against the motion. If you want to follow it or see what has been said:

His twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/CrispySea
My twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/ah8r
RE: Twitter "debate" on Islam
Banning Islam attacks the symptoms and not the disease, the disease being the human propensity to oppress each other using whatever dogma is available.

Side note, the character limitations set by Twitter do not seem to be conducive to an in-depth debate.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 1, 2012 at 8:24 am)Faith No More Wrote: Side note, the character limitations set by Twitter do not seem to be conducive to an in-depth debate.

QFT.

I didn't intend it to be a debate. I just saw him tweet about an article on whether Islam was illegal due to it going against the Declaration of Human Rights, and I told him that even if it were illegal, it shouldn't be. He disagreed, hence the debate.
Well you already know I agree with your stance on this. I was very surprised to find that people here like Rhythm were in support of banning religion altogether when it came up a while back.

The guy you're arguing with is doing that most typical thing; changing the subject. You're doing well to keep him on track.
(June 1, 2012 at 8:38 am)Tiberius Wrote: I didn't intend it to be a debate. I just saw him tweet about an article on whether Islam was illegal due to it going against the Declaration of Human Rights, and I told him that even if it were illegal, it shouldn't be. He disagreed, hence the debate.

Even if some aspects of Islam were against human rights then those aspects can be changed, the mormons changed their stance on multiple wives and coloured people after all.

Quote:The public practice of polygamy by the church was terminated in 1890 by the Manifesto issued by church President Willford Woodruff in which he publicly declared “that my advice to the Latter-day Saints is to refrain from contracting any marriages forbidden by the law of the land."[2] Today, all of the 14 million members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons) are strictly monogamist, and members who are known to practice polygamy are excommunicated.

Quote:From 1849 to 1978, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) had a policy against ordaining black men to the priesthood, and forbidding black men and women from taking part in ceremonies in LDS temples. Associated with this policy were various statements by church leaders tying the policy to their view of scripture, and opining that black men and women had inherited the curse of Ham. In 1978, President Spencer W. Kimball, the leader of the LDS church, declared in a statement known as "Official Declaration—2" that the ban had been lifted.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 1, 2012 at 6:26 am)Tiberius Wrote: So I thought I'd let you all know that I'm having some kind of long-winded debate with a guy on Twitter about whether Islam should be banned because it espouses ideas that go against human rights.

Naturally, I am against the motion. If you want to follow it or see what has been said:

Since religious freedom is among those rights, I would think he's at a disadvantage.
(June 1, 2012 at 6:26 am)Tiberius Wrote: So I thought I'd let you all know that I'm having some kind of long-winded debate with a guy on Twitter about whether Islam should be banned because it espouses ideas that go against human rights.

Banned where?
By whom? By whose authoritiy?
Frankly, I don't know how praying in a mosque(or home) supposedly infringes someone elses rights.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
It doesn't, which is the crux of my argument.
Thanks for fighting the good fight buddy!

You're alreadyed noted the limitations of twitter as a debating platform, but I'd be really eager to expand upon what you already have brought up... the notion of a particular stand of Islamism being responsible for most of the intolerance and terrorism being espoused by Muslims today.

As to Iran, people forget the people of that nation are a lot more free than in many, if not most, other Middle Eastern states. The whole reason why Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Ahmadinejad are constantly playing the death to America card is because public opinion MATTERS in that country, and the majority of people in the Middle East really do despise the West. Anyone with a casual knowledge of the history of the reigon for the last hundred years or so will know why. Other Arab "stong men" like to limit their polemics against the west for reasons of realpolitic, and only drum it up when they need to shore up popular support.
"It is not as a child that I believe and confess Jesus Christ. My hosanna is born of a furnace of doubt." ~ Fyodor Dostoyevsky
I'd be really eager to expand upon what you already have brought up... the notion of a particular stand of fundamentalism being responsible for most of the intolerance and terrorism being espoused by theists today.
Trying to update my sig ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious debate via Meme Foxaèr 324 54282 November 12, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3394 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Debate: God Exists Azu 339 56199 March 31, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Should we be following scholars debate. Mystic 14 3251 March 23, 2016 at 1:04 am
Last Post: The Atheist
  Debate between me, myself and I! Mystic 22 5328 January 4, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Guy on twitter sent me this link, HA! Brian37 12 2657 February 8, 2015 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Any Theists on AF, I Challenge You to a Debate on the Existence of God RonaldReagansGhost666 253 47393 January 31, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: helyott
Lightbulb OPEN DEBATE: Religion effects on health Aractus 37 7096 December 6, 2014 at 1:32 am
Last Post: pigsworld
  Formal debate challenge Lemonvariable72 39 7599 August 6, 2014 at 7:23 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  How to Debate a Muslim? Gooders1002 23 5989 May 19, 2014 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical