Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we be following scholars debate.
Should we be following scholars debate.
For those who are interested, I am having a discussion on whether or not scholars should be followed in the sense that one is picked and then followed with regards to everything he teaches about Islamic law.

Here is the thread:
http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/2350...nd-reason/
RE: Should we be following scholars debate.
If you're picking people to tell you what the fairies want, I doubt it matters who you pick.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
MK, it sounds as if you're setting yourself up for some sort of religious dictatorship, which will likely - oh, wait. You're a Muslim. Never mind, you already know.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 19, 2016 at 9:33 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: For those who are interested, I am having a discussion on whether or not scholars should be followed in the sense that one is picked and then followed with regards to everything he teaches about Islamic law.

Here is the thread:

You are asking the wrong people. I would say none of the scholars say anything that approaches reality and should be ignored. But hey, your'e not gonna do that so knock yourself out

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(March 19, 2016 at 9:33 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: For those who are interested, I am having a discussion on whether or not scholars should be followed in the sense that one is picked and then followed with regards to everything he teaches about Islamic law.

Here is the thread:

Seriously? I mean, really seriously?

I guess, you have noticed at some point that this is an atheist board and theologians of any kind don't pass as scholars amongst us. Also, many of us aren't in the habit of following anyone.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Scholars exist to impart knowledge, not to be followed. If they want to be followed they become something other than scholars.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 20, 2016 at 10:23 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Scholars exist to impart knowledge, not to be followed. If they want to be followed they become something other than scholars.

What are religious scholars anyway? In the best of circumstances they're philosophers. In the worst scenario, they're fanatics.
(March 20, 2016 at 12:47 pm)abaris Wrote:
(March 20, 2016 at 10:23 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Scholars exist to impart knowledge, not to be followed. If they want to be followed they become something other than scholars.

What are religious scholars anyway? In the best of circumstances they're philosophers. In the worst scenario, they're fanatics.

I believe that there can be religious scholars with knowledge but without belief that the fantasy is real. Scholars of greek, egyptian, roman, .............

There may be some that study the modern religions without the belief but I agree that more fall into the categories of the deluded. The amount of good or evil they give to the world needs to be addressed on a case by case basis. Most of the christians I know create more good than evil.
(March 20, 2016 at 12:58 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I believe that there can be religious scholars with knowledge but without belief that the fantasy is real. Scholars of greek, egyptian, roman, .............

They would be historians, archeologists or political scientists, not religious scholars. Under religious scholars I understand theologians.
(March 20, 2016 at 1:09 pm)abaris Wrote:
(March 20, 2016 at 12:58 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I believe that there can be religious scholars with knowledge but without belief that the fantasy is real. Scholars of greek, egyptian, roman, .............

They would be historians, archeologists or political scientists, not religious scholars. Under religious scholars I understand theologians.

Were not the greek, egyptian and roman mythology considered a religion of the time? Are not religious historians, religious archeologists or religious political scientists, if they impart knowledge, also religious historian scholars, religious archeologis scholars, religious political science scholars?

Maybe for you and I, "A rose by any other name................."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious debate via Meme Foxaèr 324 54252 November 12, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3392 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Debate: God Exists Azu 339 56055 March 31, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Debate between me, myself and I! Mystic 22 5313 January 4, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Following the Good Book Mermaid 22 5445 October 28, 2015 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Athene
  possible origins of islam (higher criticism scholars/ history nuts welcome) Psychonaut 18 5477 August 6, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Any Theists on AF, I Challenge You to a Debate on the Existence of God RonaldReagansGhost666 253 47377 January 31, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: helyott
Lightbulb OPEN DEBATE: Religion effects on health Aractus 37 7092 December 6, 2014 at 1:32 am
Last Post: pigsworld
  Debunking atheists on christians not following the law of moses Rokchan 42 10466 October 29, 2014 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Formal debate challenge Lemonvariable72 39 7585 August 6, 2014 at 7:23 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72