Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OPEN DEBATE: Religion effects on health
Lightbulb 
OPEN DEBATE: Religion effects on health
I get sick to death of hearing the same rubbish spewed by other atheists here that "religion is evil". Perhaps they know something I don't, so it's time for something I like to call EVIDENCE. If you have opposing evidence then post it.

Religion is a determinant of health.

I shall quote a government publication:
  • "The freedom to practise one’s religion is a fundamental human right identified in key human rights instruments to which Australia is signatory. Freedom of religious belief is also protected in Victoria’s Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities."

"The results of the literature review show that the impacts of religious belief on mental health are generally positive, with the strongest association being the link between religious belief and decreased depression, as well as reduced anxiety and suicide risk, and to a lesser extent, reduced psychotic disorders. The association found in most studies was a modest one. Religious belief was also found to be important in helping people to recover from traumatic events.

"There was an increased risk of negative mental health effects on two of the measures above: religious orientation and religious coping style. Those at higher risk of negative outcomes were those who were attracted to religion for reasons other than the creed (referred to above as extrinsic
    religious orientation) and people who used negative religious coping strategies (also described above).

"Religious belief was also found to be associated with a reduced likelihood of engaging in risk behaviours such as alcohol and drug abuse and cigarette smoking.

"There were fewer studies investigating the link between religious belief and poor physical health. The available studies suggest only tentative evidence of a reduced risk. However, people engaging in some aspect of religious belief and practice were found to live longer.

"Reductions in the risk of suicide and certain risky behaviours were especially large for young people, a stage of the life cycle when the risk of these problems is especially high."
As I mentioned in another thread recently: religious attendance is identified as a determinant of health, well-being and happiness, and the information above of course confirms this.

So to the rest of the atheists on this forum: we may be right, but we're going to live shorter lives, suffer more mental illnesses and be more unhappy.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: OPEN DEBATE: Religion effects on health
Many evil people are very healthy.

My take, the nicest christian you've ever met is still a scapegoater. That meets the bar for "evil" - in my opinion...in ways that many things others describe as "evil" simply don't. I'd be careful to call religion a determinant, especially when correlation is an option. Also wondering how that study controlled for the adverse effects upon the faithless' mental and physical health that are part and parcel of interaction with the faithful..including condescending and dismissive family members..or the odd beheading.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Most religious people are not "evil" Rhythm, although while you're here why don't you make yourself useful and move this thread for me into the main religion forum for me, I posted in the Christian sub-forum by mistake.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
The mental anguish that religion causes due to unnecessary guilt is profound. This is especially true if someone is living a lifestyle that is sinful such as be a homosexual.
Hey, you asked.... Lemme hop to it massa, and facilitate your despotic thread.

Wink Shades
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Prayer can be a powerful placebo. But you probably can't believe for the sake of getting a good medical outcome. You probably need more commitment than that to reap the full placebo effect.
Also, I've had a quote pertaining to Lance Armstrong in my sig the entire time I think that I've been on here, because I think he is one of the most evil persons currently living. I absolutely despise him and others like him who destroy the lives and careers of others for their own gain. He's also an atheist.

Quote: Perhaps they know something I don't,

Yes.

[Image: september-9-11-attacks-anniversary-groun...00x450.jpg]

We do.
Let me offer a possible reason why:

It may not be due to religious beliefs leading to better mental health, but rather that most atheists do not learn to properly cope with whatever crises they may be suffering from due to their lack of faith. So the solution isn't, IMO, "more religion" but rather "address the issue of how atheists think and feel about life and such".

I'll go read the study now to see if this is addressed ...
(November 29, 2014 at 9:09 pm)Aractus Wrote: So to the rest of the atheists on this forum: we may be right, but we're going to live shorter lives, suffer more mental illnesses and be more unhappy.

Well being an atheist is an awfully big net. I'm not convinced that every relevant factor is adequately addressed by identifying our lack of belief in a higher power. In fact, some of us may retain something of the sort without appealing to anything god-like.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Health class christian teacher..... brewer 7 744 March 26, 2021 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: no one
  Religious debate via Meme Foxaèr 324 54232 November 12, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Religion and health - not exactly what we've been told.... Angrboda 4 725 July 22, 2018 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3365 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Debate: God Exists Azu 339 55259 March 31, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10699 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Should we be following scholars debate. Mystic 14 3238 March 23, 2016 at 1:04 am
Last Post: The Atheist
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4893 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Debate between me, myself and I! Mystic 22 5298 January 4, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
Video The "Harmful Effects" Of Masturbation Mental Outlaw 49 9273 November 12, 2015 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Iroscato