Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Universe is indifferent.
The Universe is indifferent.
The universe is indifferent to you. Life is indifferent to you.

This is something I find myself saying more and more often. It seems cold, but I find it something of a comfort. There might not be anything looking out for me, but there is no one purposefully making my life hell. Oddly, I find the phrase freeing. I can do what I want, be what I want.

Do any more of you take something like this as a comfort? Or maybe it scares you? I intend this to be a discussion of personal thoughts on the subject, so let loose.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
RE: The Universe is indifferent.
Those may be indifferent to me, but I am not indifferent to them Big Grin

To me, it doesn't scare me or confort, that's how things are.
Knowing universe is indifferent to us gives us confidence we can understand it and manipulate it for our own benefit.
The universe might just not care since we're being good and staying put. We start moving and BAM. the universe blows us up. It has no patience for our bullshit. None at all, man. Big Grin
This is stupid
(June 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm)Annik Wrote: Do any more of you take something like this as a comfort? Or maybe it scares you? I intend this to be a discussion of personal thoughts on the subject, so let loose.

I do. It's that sense of comfort where there is no god to worry about. No hell to go to. No heaven for those religious fucktards who do nothing but pest others who dare think different.
The fact that I'm free to live my life without fear of punishment when it ends. The cosmos won't change for anyone and so it can't be ruined by us. It's free in the sense we can explore it if we wish. We can become more if so desired.

The only draw back is that so many pathetic people would rather be on their knees and pray to their imaginary friend for another life and surrender any potential they have for this life.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I don't take it as any kind of comfort, I just see it in a sort of "it is what it is" kind of light.
I feel a song coming on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk?rel=0
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I don't know if comforting is the right word but I also don't think it just is what it is. Since accepting the reality of an impartial universe I don't have to spend time wondering the significance of random events, beating myself up for missing some cosmic warning sign or worry that my thoughts or words will "jinx" me and cause bad things to happen. Reality doesn't seem cold to me at all, only freeing.
univrese is good everything is perfect you know what you want so why you tell you dont know itell you a site [link removed]
Umm... hi?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1300 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11401 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  What God is to the Universe is what your mind is to your body fdesilva 172 18977 August 23, 2016 at 7:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2062 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Do you think the universe is real? Excited Penguin 40 5644 December 15, 2015 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Sappho
  A Conscious Universe FallentoReason 327 43877 February 14, 2015 at 12:56 am
Last Post: Pizza
  Does the universe care? Logisch 24 4469 July 2, 2014 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Living Universe, Buddhism, Etc. Etc. hppavilion 5 1821 June 4, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: naimless
  The Meaning of the Universe - Maybe Beta Ray Bill 19 6469 June 4, 2014 at 5:20 am
Last Post: pocaracas
Lightbulb In the universe there is no meaning nor is it meaningless FractalEternalWheel 5 2749 January 18, 2014 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Faith No More