Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
your opinion on joe paterno
your opinion on joe paterno
people around here in pennsylvania (and i imagine others close by who care) have been complaining about penn state's decision to put a statue of joe "joepa" paterno on the campus outside of thier stadium. the story about jerry sandusky (charged with raping 10 boys, now convicted) goes thru joepa, some think he knew about the crimes that sandusky was blamed for and covered it up.

my question is, do you think he should be held as a damn-near deity, immortalized with a statue, on that campus if he knew of such issues but seemingly swept them under the rug? penn state folks have a very wierd obsession with that guy. he's done a lot of good for young kids and the entire area, but does that override the apparent ignoring of these rape "charges" ( since then there weren't any convictions yet at the time)?

one overview of the story ...
http://www.freep.com/article/20120624/NE...Penn-State
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
RE: your opinion on joe paterno
His death is the best thing that could have happened for his reputation. If he were alive through Sandusky's trial, his reputation would have suffered greatly. At least now his name will not be tied so tightly to Sandusky's crimes as it would have been.

I don't personally think that Paterno did enough, but there are others with more guilt than him. Paterno did what he was suppoed to do... but he certainly could have done a lot more.
good point. if he had lived thru this, he surely would've been tarnished even more than he is now. i also agree that he may have done what he was supposed to, but that dude was above the law in some respects, i think he chose not to get too involved. i suspect it was because of maintaining the rep of the school. administrators and all on the same ticket. "let's see if we can fix this before everyone hears about it."

i hate to think for him, but this is one of those deals that interests me, no matter how much it's talked about. people who commit crimes on humanity are far more foul, imo, than one-time criminals, who may be able to show remorse - jerry showed none.

weirdly enough, jerry sandusky's father art sandusky owned a midget league sports facility in the town i grew up in, where everyone i know and myself included, played. we all knew of jerry back when he was in his 20s and lived at the facility in an apartment. that place was for 7 to 12yo kids (boys and girls) and he was a weird guy but no one thot of him as a perv. i guess that's where he got his start. :-|
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
You can't go by me. I have a problem with honoring sports figures at all.

It isn't as if they actually did something productive, you know.
(June 24, 2012 at 11:52 am)Minimalist Wrote: You can't go by me. I have a problem with honoring sports figures at all.

Far better to honor the least sports "hero" than to revere any of saints, mystics, prophets, and self styled offsprings of infantile fantasy gods.
(June 24, 2012 at 11:52 am)Minimalist Wrote: You can't go by me. I have a problem with honoring sports figures at all.

i hear ya man. don't agree at all on that one, but understand. Smile
Sometimes people should just dissapear no questions asked, evil is a necessity sometime.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
I think Paterno took the path of least resistance, and it cost him. Do I think he was privy to the evil that Sandusky was perpetrating? I don't. Do I think he should have done a double or triple take when alarm bells rang? I do.
Trying to update my sig ...
Quote:I don't personally think that Paterno did enough, but there are others with more guilt than him

As an Aussie,I have no idea of whom you speak,or of the actual crimes so have no axe to grind. However, your argument is based on a a logical fallacy (tu quoque) and is irrelevant when considering the crimes of any any individual.

He does not get a pass due to status or because there are bigger arseholes around.
That's how I feel about the fucking pope!

(June 24, 2012 at 3:15 pm)jackman Wrote:

i hear ya man. don't agree at all on that one, but understand. Smile

"Bread and circuses" has been a staple of the ruling classes for a long time. These days, the upper 1% simply wants to provide the circuses.
Miami just won the basketball title. Their fans chant "We're #1" while their governor fucks them at every opportunity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Asking your opinion Foxaèr 11 540 November 23, 2020 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Covers that are (in your opinion) better than the origionals Theswordismyleopard 15 731 August 30, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Covers that are (in your opinion) better than the origionals Theswordismyleopard 0 183 August 29, 2020 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Theswordismyleopard
  An Opinion Grows In Brooklyn OP ED Brian37 0 259 August 30, 2019 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Is being a theist immoral in your opinion? Catholic_Lady 53 5203 January 8, 2018 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The "strike" and my personal opinion Foxaèr 36 5172 April 16, 2015 at 2:27 am
Last Post: DeadChannel
  You are not entitled to your opinion. Kayenneh 27 4851 March 14, 2014 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: shep
Heart Found a website that checks the opinion of the internet Atheistm vs Religion Big Blue Sky 4 1969 June 16, 2013 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Ask me my opinion on anything. Edwardo Piet 41 13096 January 7, 2013 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Opinion vs Belief VoiceOfReason 16 4960 June 15, 2010 at 8:10 am
Last Post: Pippy