Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abrahamic Relgions Ulterior Motives
Abrahamic Relgions Ulterior Motives
I've read the first religion was in Sumeria and was paganism. It would seem natural, as an early civilization with no knowledge of science, that they would see nature as a god. No rain that day, we must've pissed off the rain gods. But when Abraham came along claiming their is only one true god, everyone thought he was crazy. Now, I'm assuming this god is not real. What would Abraham's motive be for creating this crazy religion where you must cut off the foreskin of your penis?
RE: Abrahamic Relgions Ulterior Motives
Quote:But when Abraham came along claiming their is only one true god, everyone thought he was crazy.

The first thing you have to do is lose the idea that "Abraham" is any more real than the rest of the bullshit.
I have no reason to deny that Abraham existed. If I claimed that, I would be a hypocrite. I believe in reason. Just because I despise the Christian religion, I won't blindly refute it.
(June 25, 2012 at 12:38 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:But when Abraham came along claiming their is only one true god, everyone thought he was crazy.

The first thing you have to do is lose the idea that "Abraham" is any more real than the rest of the bullshit.

So where did this "Abraham" actually come from Min?? Sounds a bit like the "King David" "King Solomon" and "Jesus" tales?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(June 25, 2012 at 12:46 am)ElijahDrew Wrote: I have no reason to deny that Abraham existed. If I claimed that, I would be a hypocrite. I believe in reason. Just because I despise the Christian religion, I won't blindly refute it.

When you're ready to be serious, perhaps you had better start with the Jews.

http://www.freethoughtfirefighters.org/B..._facts.htm

Quote:Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses.
The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never
occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho.
And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into
a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose
reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a
fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions - the product of findings by
archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25
years - have gained wide acceptance among non- Orthodox rabbis. But
there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss
them with the laity - until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the
1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a
new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60
years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an
interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from
archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient
cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of
the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a
view of the Bible as a human rather than divine document.
(June 25, 2012 at 12:04 am)ElijahDrew Wrote: I've read the first religion was in Sumeria and was paganism. It would seem natural, as an early civilization with no knowledge of science, that they would see nature as a god. No rain that day, we must've pissed off the rain gods. But when Abraham came along claiming their is only one true god, everyone thought he was crazy. Now, I'm assuming this god is not real. What would Abraham's motive be for creating this crazy religion where you must cut off the foreskin of your penis?

How is it that such backwards people would even think of a being superior to them, I mean really, that actually would go against human nature, man wants to believe he is superior.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(June 25, 2012 at 3:20 am)Godschild Wrote: I've read the first religion was in Sumeria and was paganism. It would seem natural, as an early civilization with no knowledge of science, that they would see nature as a god. No rain that day, we must've pissed off the rain gods. But when Abraham came along claiming their is only one true god, everyone thought he was crazy. Now, I'm assuming this god is not real. What would Abraham's motive be for creating this crazy religion where you must cut off the foreskin of your penis?
Abaraham is no more real than, the easter bunny
(June 25, 2012 at 12:04 am)ElijahDrew Wrote: How is it that such backwards people would even think of a being superior to them, I mean really, that actually would go against human nature, man wants to believe he is superior.
Is that why every single tribe and/or civilization has created some form of a god to worship? ........because it goes against human nature?
Quote:How is it that such backwards people would even think of a being superior to them

Why don't you stop to consider how YOU invented YOURS and perhaps you will see it?

Or at least stop asking stupid questions.
Thank you, Minimalist. I was hoping to find why the Abrahamic regions were created. Naturally, I went all the way back to the supposed man who spoke to God. What I was trying to get at was: what motive would someone have to hold this belief system over others heads? Power? Corruption? ect...
I'm not history savvy, but suspected it was to further the Jewish peoples place in ancient society.
Why is any religion created?

As Stephen Roberts noted:

Quote:“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

The angry desert god religions are famous for pulling the yahweh/jesus/allah (take your choice but only pick one) are REAL but all other gods ever invented by men are FALSE! There is no more evidence for any of them than there is for Osiris, Thor or Quetzlcoatl etc but all it takes is a special kind of tribal mentality ( we're right - everyone else is wrong ) and there you go.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Abrahamic God technically an incel? Woah0 2 522 August 29, 2022 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Abrahamic roots of racism, which one is worst Sammin 2 1169 October 6, 2018 at 10:09 am
Last Post: brewer
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10907 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  How do religious folks reconcile violent concepts in "peaceful" Abrahamic religions? AceBoogie 57 10874 April 28, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Disproving Abrahamic religions Ronsy21 5 1660 February 1, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  A thread that smashes ALL abrahamic religions Rokkein 15 4808 November 27, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: washed
  Abrahamic god of death and destruction Chad32 27 4904 September 11, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Future Of World Relgions report (PEW Research) ReptilianPeon 35 6305 April 14, 2015 at 8:03 am
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  Abrahamic Religions and their Holy Books xpastor 20 7230 October 27, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: JuliaL
  Where can I get an unbiased view on the bible, Jesus and Abrahamic Religions? Forsaken 11 11542 August 26, 2012 at 5:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda