Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Becoming an Atheist
Becoming an Atheist
Okay hello everybody. First off I want to apologize for the wall of text I'am about to post but I really need some help.

After 21 years of being brain washed that religion is real and its the only way I want out.

I'v always knew deep down that it wasn't real and even with the facts in my face I kept my religion some what close to me, I suppeses at best you could call me a "sinner" even though I'am a good person and like to help people and so on, I'am appatrly going to hell for drinking smoking and going to night clubs that doesn't affect anyone in anyway apart from my self.

So the main problem I'am having at the moment is, I'am sort of an Atheist on the fence after all theses years of religion I guess I'am just having trouble getting in my thick skull that all religion is BS, and often doing small silent prayers in my head even though I Know its not real It's more of a habit for me that I really want to get over and the more I think of it the more I'am getting a headache I'v only slept 2.5hours today because I just can't sleep thinking about it.

So my question and I'd like your honest option weather its nice or not.
I'am missing something here ? Do I maybe still believe deep down in religion and I'am forcing my self in to becoming an Atheist or did it happen to any others here and it will just pass with time ? You know I don't really know how to explain it but I guess that's it.

(I'v already denounced all religion and dissed the very god I believe in or use to believe in lol, but it still feels like I'am missing something here)

If you read all the way here thank you it means a lot to me to get other people's option.

tl:dr Need help with becoming and Atheist.
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it
is called insanity. When many people suffer
from a delusion it is called religion.”
RE: Becoming an Atheism
This sounds a lot like what I went through (and still, to an extent go through).

I don't think you still believe in your religion. What I do think is that the brainwashing left some wounds that have yet to completely heal. I came to be an atheist truly at around 13/14. I'm 20 now and the brainwashing still freaks me out sometimes...not unlike a Nam flashback, if you could find a way to equate the two. The last time it really got me was about 3 years ago. I got myself really drunk and started crying because I was worried I'd go to hell for the way I was living my life. Of course, that was the alcohol talking, but if you're one of those people who had it crammed down their throats, the fear is a very real thing. It's like the bogeyman, I suppose. You know it's not real but it still scares you.

I think what you need to do is spend time reflecting. Pay less attention to the absence of a god in your life and look into other, truer things. I read a lot of popular science articles, and look at a lot of astronomy and wildlife photos. I find that this engages me in the wonder that is reality. It'll take time, but after a while when you realize how much more sense it makes you'll stop worrying about going to hell or the need to say small silent prayers.
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]
@KnockEmOuttt Thanks for the insightful post, back when I was a still a kid going to school religion was a forced lesson we had to study so I guess that didn't help Confused

Anyway the more I think about it the more I see just how stupid I was (or maybe still I'am Tongue) believing in god out of fear rather than love, It's abit ironic really.
(July 14, 2012 at 4:09 am)Vorith Wrote: @KnockEmOuttt Thanks for the insightful post, back when I was a still a kid going to school religion was a forced lesson we had to study so I guess that didn't help Confused

Anyway the more I think about it the more I see just how stupid I was (or maybe still I'am Tongue) believing in god out of fear rather than love, It's abit ironic really.

You're very welcome.
You're only stupid if you choose to reject all reasonable evidence to the contrary, which you obviously didn't. You can't really help what you're born into. You're getting out of that place now, which is great, but like anything it's a transition and it won't necessarily be easy. Don't doubt yourself, you're headed in the direction of enlightenment.
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]
RE: Becoming an Atheist
While I think it will take some time to get out of the bad habit of "prayer" it's not bothering me any more because I know I don't mean it. Its just a bad habit and that's it, and like alot of things I just need some time to heal and be pure again not some brainwashed ****. It's done me a ton of good to get the honest option of an Atheist.

I could go on ranting all day but =P
Glad to hear. And welcome to the board, by the way. You should formally introduce yourself to the board in the introductions section.
You call that a wall of text!

Anyhoo welcome to our humble abode.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Welcome Vorith. Sounds like you are past the point of no return - congratulations. I have no similar experience to lend me wisdom about what you are going through, having always been an atheist and living in a secular country, but hope you work your way past it to the happy uplands of truth and rationality. (this is beginning to sound like a speech)

Regards

Grimesy
Quote:I'v always knew deep down that it wasn't real and even with the facts in my face I kept my religion some what close to me, I suppeses at best you could call me a "sinner" even though I'am a good person and like to help people and so on, I'am appatrly going to hell for drinking smoking and going to night clubs that doesn't affect anyone in anyway apart from my self.

Maybe the religion you have rejected is a legalistic one (fundamentalist versions of Christianity) that cares more about these things than helping the poor. The "we are all sinners" comment makes more sense considered against our relative apathy with regards to the absurd numbers of starving and suffering people around the world and that we have the resources to cure and feed them and we don't.

And if you are praying it seems to me that it is at least possible that deep down you believe that someone hears your prayers.

(July 14, 2012 at 7:44 am)pgrimes15 Wrote: Welcome Vorith. Sounds like you are past the point of no return - congratulations.

I used to be an atheist. I would disagree.
(July 14, 2012 at 10:34 am)Jeffonthenet Wrote: I used to be an atheist. I would disagree.

Yeah, we were all babies once, so everyone was an atheist at some point. Tongue
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4629 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Iceland is becoming atheist. Jehanne 13 2704 February 8, 2018 at 12:08 am
Last Post: haig
  does the "Israel becoming a nation again prophecy" have any value snerie 48 13311 April 1, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Amarok
  I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice? IanHulett 22 5634 October 17, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Is Atheism becoming a religion? liberalNutjob 0 1330 March 8, 2015 at 12:54 am
Last Post: liberalNutjob
  Becoming an angry atheist Natachan 98 19180 December 17, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Is Sam Harris becoming a pariah for the anti-religious cause? Mudhammam 90 14803 August 9, 2014 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  How to prevent your child from becoming an atheist. Creed of Heresy 13 5113 September 21, 2013 at 8:34 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Religions I might try before becoming a full Atheist... dudeofawesome 28 6765 February 12, 2013 at 2:07 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Becoming atheist Dumac Dwarfking 12 6331 September 11, 2012 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Faith No More