Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Council of Jerusalem 50 C.E.; did this really happen?
The Council of Jerusalem 50 C.E.; did this really happen?
Does anyone know if the council of Jerusalem (or Apostolic Conference) of 50 C.E. really happened or is it just more Bible bullshit? Here's the Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Jerusalem
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: The Council of Jerusalem 50 C.E.; did this really happen?
it's bullshit..... thank you for asking
Much like jesus himself this seems to exist only within their holy horseshit.

The procurator of Judaea at the time was Ventidius Cumanus who Josephus indicates was involved in almost constant trouble in the region with the Jews.

Yet, when Josephus later gives a discussion of the factions on the eve of the Great Revolt he mentions Saduccees, Pharisees, and Essenes but nary a xtian to be found.

It seems more like a xtian wet dream than anything else.
(July 18, 2012 at 9:39 pm)Ziploc Surprise Wrote: Does anyone know if the council of Jerusalem (or Apostolic Conference) of 50 C.E. really happened or is it just more Bible bullshit? Here's the Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Jerusalem

Paul (and the Apstoles that followed Him) made the desisions this supposed consule made. (As recorded by Acts and several of his books)Which according to some interpertations of the bible seem to Underminded some of the thoughts and teachings of Peter and those who followed him. (who was head of this fore named council according to the powers that be in the cathloic church.)

No matter who you view as being head up this counsule (or even if you believe this council was even formally named and gathered.) The Gentiles were free from Practicing Judisim in order to become Christians. (Like the primary members of the 1st century Church had formly been. Practicing OT Jews, but because they worship Chirst lost their Jew status.)
And how many "gentiles" do you suppose were in mid-first century Jerusalem as the whole country was working itself up to jewish self-immolation in the Great Revolt?
(July 18, 2012 at 11:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: And how many "gentiles" do you suppose were in mid-first century Jerusalem as the whole country was working itself up to jewish self-immolation in the Great Revolt?

Don't know for sure, but outside of Roman officals and soliders probably a few hundred merchants, slaves and travlers. But we do know that the effects of the desisions Paul made weren't for those directly in Jerusalem. This freedom was taught primarily to the Gentiles outside of Judea. Rome, Corinth, Ephesus, etc...
Quote:But we do know that the effects of the desisions Paul made weren't for those directly in Jerusalem.

Which still fails to answer the question of why Judaeans would give a rat's ass, either way?

Oddly, the Ebionites.... a supposedly heretical group of xtians who clung to mosaic law were first mentioned by Justin Martyr in the mid-2d century and later by Irenaeas at the end of the 2d century.

What has any of that got to do with Jews in the middle of the first? If this was such a problem it certainly argues against the authority of these so-called church fathers being able to get people to listen to them?

What excuse will you care to make up for this?

Oh, and one other minor point...... that same "Justin Martyr?" The one who wrote so much? He never mentions anyone named "Paul."

Isn't that odd?
(July 19, 2012 at 2:12 am)Minimalist Wrote: But we do know that the effects of the desisions Paul made weren't for those directly in Jerusalem.
So? He spent very little time in Jersalem

Quote:Which still fails to answer the question of why Judaeans would give a rat's ass, either way?
Jews wouldn't would they, as they still observed the OT laws.
But all Gentiles who were looking to make the Change to Christianity would especially if Messanic Jews were telling them to first get circumsized first.

Quote:Oddly, the Ebionites.... a supposedly heretical group of xtians who clung to mosaic law were first mentioned by Justin Martyr in the mid-2d century and later by Irenaeas at the end of the 2d century.
So?

Quote:What has any of that got to do with Jews in the middle of the first?
You tell me.

Quote: If this was such a problem it certainly argues against the authority of these so-called church fathers being able to get people to listen to them?
The second century Church suffered from problems like no other church did before or after. For none of the orginal Apstoles were left alive and there wasn't a compliation of all of the apstoles teachings to guide them. Which as the problem progressed and spread promted the powers that be to complie the written words of the apstoles before they were all destroyed or lost. Hence the bible.

Quote:What excuse will you care to make up for this?
They did not have any direction from the Apstoles Verbally written or otherwise.

Quote:Oh, and one other minor point...... that same "Justin Martyr?" The one who wrote so much? He never mentions anyone named "Paul."
Actually He did when He rewrote or reinterperted 1 Cor 15:50. Plus on further review he kinda denies the deity of Christ which excludes him from being a practicing christian anyway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Martyr

Quote:Isn't that odd?
Not really given his recorded wiki agenda.
I've been keeping up with the replies. They have been interesting. Thinking

Thanks for participating.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

Quote:So? He spent very little time in Jersalem

Fails to explain why the ones who were allegedly there would give a rat's ass.

Quote:But all Gentiles who were looking to make the Change to Christianity would especially if Messanic Jews were telling them to first get circumsized first.

But in 50 AD you have yet to show that such a clamor existed. As has been noted, ad nauseam, not a single Greco-Roman or Jewish writer living at the time has anything to say about your godboy and his magic tricks. In fact, when xtians DO reach the point of being noticed, middle second century AD, we DO see those writers ( Celsus, Lucian) start to comment on them.

Quote: So

So centuries later the problem allegedly addressed at this supposed "Council" was still growing.

Quote:You tell me.

I am telling you. The whole story and this phony church history which was later concocted is bullshit.

Quote:The second century Church suffered from problems like no other church did before or after. For none of the orginal Apstoles were left alive and there wasn't a compliation of all of the apstoles teachings to guide them. Which as the problem progressed and spread promted the powers that be to complie the written words of the apstoles before they were all destroyed or lost. Hence the bible.

Wrong. Marcion issued a canon in the mid 2d century which contained one gospel - probably Luke although it had not been named at that point - and 10 of "Paul's" so-called epistles although later church thugs destroyed Marcion's bible so we don't know what any of these documents may have said. Variants of this shit were floating around, though.

Quote:They did not have any direction from the Apstoles Verbally written or otherwise.

Actually, the doctrine of Apostolic Authority came to be defined by the church late in the 2d century....hence Irenaeas attaching the names which your so-called gospels go by today.

Quote:Actually He did when He rewrote or reinterperted 1 Cor 15:50.

Actually, all that shows is that Justin never heard of "Paul" (probably because he had not been invented yet). It is you jesus freaks who pretend that "Paul" was this most important character. Yet, Justin never heard of him. I'll bet Justin never heard of the Council of Jerusalem, either.

Quote:Plus on further review he kinda denies the deity of Christ which excludes him from being a practicing christian anyway.

As xtianity evolved into the church-based 'department of motor vehicles'-style bureaucratic pile of shit that it remains any number of its early writers were declared heretics - the great Origen who lived a century after Justin was also tossed out on his less-than-holy ass by later church leaders who found his doctrines no longer consistent with what they wanted to push on the public as "true." But in the middle 2d century, Justin was a real celebrity and his First Apology was addressed to the Emperor Antoninus Pius himself. You should read Ehrman's Lost Christianities and learn some stuff about how your bullshit evolved ( oops, there's that word again!).

You have drunk so deeply of the jesus Kool-Aid that you will never find anything "odd" about the crock of shit story you have been sold.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is going to happen when Jesus returns? Fake Messiah 21 2286 March 19, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Did Moses really write the first few books of the bible? T.J. 30 2153 November 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 4077 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1666 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  12 Unbelievably Bad Marketers in Jerusalem Firefighter01 65 8556 February 1, 2017 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Firefighter01
  Virgin Births happen all the time?! Jehanne 11 2728 December 20, 2016 at 5:32 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ? Emzap 62 11249 November 4, 2016 at 2:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Bad/Good Things That Happen Without the Aid of a Deity Nope 30 9742 June 11, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  If the Exodus didn't happen, the Jews wouldn't put themselves under the Mosaic law Dolorian 57 13276 November 5, 2014 at 7:23 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Did this really happened? Zidneya 5 1988 June 8, 2014 at 8:18 am
Last Post: vorlon13