Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 7 days myth - but why?
The 7 days myth - but why?
Well, we got so used to the 7-day week that it is no longer commonly perceived as a Christian invention. Still, as most inventions it must have had a purpose. But let's focus on the effects first.

After slaving with little sleep for the first five days, the time arrives to "have some fun, do something interesting". But do really do that? We usually fall into a repetitive routine of clubbing, sex and alcohol followed by hangovers and paralysis towards Sunday. We do not have time to think, to be really creative, to start doing something new and enjoyable. Our lives become very repertitive, it is like living the SAME 7 days over and over again...
RE: The 7 days myth - but why?
At my last workplace we had what was called 'ergonomic work hours', which basically meant that we would have e.g. three days of work, one off. This of course meant that you had your days off not only during the weekends, so no clubbing then.
I don't think it matters much though if we have seven days a week, or less or more. People will always fall into certain patterns and it is up to oneself to break the mold, if one wants to. Some are happy living in the hamster wheel, some aren't and will most certainly do something about it.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(August 15, 2012 at 4:00 am)Ciel_Rouge Wrote: Well, we got so used to the 7-day week that it is no longer commonly perceived as a Christian invention. Still, as most inventions it must have had a purpose. But let's focus on the effects first.

After slaving with little sleep for the first five days, the time arrives to "have some fun, do something interesting". But do really do that? We usually fall into a repetitive routine of clubbing, sex and alcohol followed by hangovers and paralysis towards Sunday. We do not have time to think, to be really creative, to start doing something new and enjoyable. Our lives become very repertitive, it is like living the SAME 7 days over and over again...

You seem to be a very sad person, just sayin'.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(August 15, 2012 at 4:00 am)Ciel_Rouge Wrote: Well, we got so used to the 7-day week that it is no longer commonly perceived as a Christian invention. Still, as most inventions it must have had a purpose. But let's focus on the effects first.

I have always done shift work (TV industry) so for ever day I work I have a day off but have to sometimes work weekends and evenings. Free from the shackles of the 7 day week. Go shopping when no-one else is. Go to the cinema on a weekday afternoon. No "Sunday evening" feeling that the working week is just around the corner and next weekend is an eternity away. Brilliant ! also get paid a little more.

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

I'm a freelance writer. I broke out of the '7 day week' grind and took a chance on being self-employed. Sometimes I can't pay the bills and it sucks, but otherwise it is the best decision I have ever made. Today I am going to play some PS3 and write a few articles for my blogs. If I'm feeling really productive, maybe I'll write some of my client articles too. Then again, that plan could change on a whim and I could end up going to the zoo. Who knows.
Clubbing, sex, and alcohol ad infinitum -sign me up (sans clubbing)! I don't see the problem. You telling me you don't have time to think about sex, or get creative in bed. "Fucking work of art" springs to mind (and takes on a much more interesting meaning all of a sudden).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

I can't remember the last time I had a hangover. Nor went clubbing. But then, I'm basically retired. I drink when I want. And my primary activities are book clubs and discussion groups. The 7 day week is not a problem for me.

Though it occurs to me that the problems you discuss, hangovers, dull and repetitious rituals, and so forth, won't be alleviated by changing the number of days in the week. You'll still be expected to work as much, and if the weeks are made longer, your weekend excesses will only be more problematic, and your midweek doldrums intensified. What are you hoping for, 3 days on, 2 days off? Dream on.

(You should read some of the employment rules from the 18th and 19th centuries. You think you've got it rough.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(August 15, 2012 at 6:02 am)Godschild Wrote: You seem to be a very sad person, just sayin'.

Oh, the irony of a southern baptist uttering those words.
(August 15, 2012 at 10:39 am)Napoléon Wrote:
(August 15, 2012 at 6:02 am)Godschild Wrote: You seem to be a very sad person, just sayin'.

Oh, the irony of a southern baptist uttering those words.

Haha, thanks Napoleon, I am glad not to be the only one to see the irony of a Christian saying something like that. To them everyone opposing such inventions like repetitive grind-and-paralysis weeks is a gruesome individual ;-) Quite interestingly, the Christians themselves often appear to be quite gruesome in their fanaticism of self-torture covered up by pretending that their "happy" this way, with this most hilarious and yet somewhat abominal fake smiling and artificial voice tones on their bloody Sundays ;-)

I am not suggesting a different length for the week, just abandoning it altogether. Instead of thinking about the weekend when working and thinking about the dreaded Monday when trying to have some fun, in a week-free world one can work or have fun any time which has already been tested by freelancers. The weekly routine has profound psychological effects and causes people to hate their work and do it worse than they could because all they can focus on is the stupid weekend. Of course this is a somewhat simplified way to put it, but the opposite has obviously been tested by freelancers and the fact is they tend to actually be more productive with their work and less stagnant with their entertainment habits.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Adam & Eve Myth - Origins Gwaithmir 125 13566 July 13, 2019 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  I will be gone for a few days Der/die AtheistIn 2 1165 October 19, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  ...And then there are the days He is silent. Drich 75 16707 May 3, 2017 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  channel 5 the last days of jesus downbeatplumb 5 2234 April 17, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Any one else watch The Last Days of Jesus on PBS ? vorlon13 9 2574 April 16, 2017 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why Lust is bad, not gonna use "sin" reason but logical reason Rispri 27 5536 March 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  CHRISTIANS, you only have 3 days left to get rid of your XMAS TREE! 21stCenturyIconoclast 22 4200 December 24, 2016 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: 21stCenturyIconoclast
  Why do Christians believe in the Resurrection of Jesus but not alien abductions? Jehanne 72 11696 June 27, 2016 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  How will you spend your last four days on earth? Rapture and end days, oh my! Whateverist 40 7238 September 21, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  what are they teaching in seminaries these days? drfuzzy 14 4094 August 28, 2015 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0