Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lance Armstrong stripped of Tour de France titles and banned.
Lance Armstrong stripped of Tour de France titles and banned.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19369375
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersp...arges.html

Despite Armstrong passing hundreds of drug tests in his cycling career, the United States Anti-Doping Agency have decided to strip him of all his Tour de France titles, with seemingly no evidence to back up their claims of doping.

This is a clear cut case of guilty until proven innocent. Armstrong didn't want to fight court battles, especially when the evidence is all on his side. This is a ridiculous ruling. I for one will always hold him as a champion, winner of every single title they try to strip him of.
RE: Lance Armstrong stripped of Tour de France titles and banned.
Quote:"Following the dismissal of Mr. Armstrong’s lawsuit on Monday, August 20, 2012, by the federal court in Austin, Texas, Mr. Armstrong had until midnight on Thursday, August 23, to contest the evidence against him in a full evidentiary hearing with neutral arbitrators as provided by U.S. law.

"However, when given the opportunity to challenge the evidence against him, and with full knowledge of the consequences, Mr. Armstrong chose not to contest the fact that he engaged in doping violations from at least August 1, 1998 and participated in a conspiracy to cover up his actions.

"As a result of Mr. Armstrong’s decision, USADA is required under the applicable rules, including the World Anti-Doping Code under which he is accountable, to disqualify his competitive results and suspend him from all future competition."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/armst...25z;_ylv=3
Your link doesn't work.

He chose not to contest the charges because he's been fighting this for years apparently, and got tired of it all. His official statement is here: http://lancearmstrong.com/news-events/la...st-23-2012
these charges only came up this year.

the rumours have been about for years, mostly coming from former team mates.

a lot of people within cycling reckon it's the teams getting the doctors to drug the cyclists without their knowledge.
Regardless, he's surely innocent until proven guilty?
I agree 100%, but his behaviour is suspicious and he was told this would happen if he didnt fight the charges. he isn't fighting the charges, so it happened.

Quote:Mr Armstrong had until midnight on Thursday, August 23, to contest the evidence against him in a full evidentiary hearing with neutral arbitrators as provided by US law. However, when given the opportunity to challenge the evidence against him, and with full knowledge of the consequences, Mr Armstrong chose not to contest the fact that he engaged in doping violations from at least August 1, 1998, and participated in a conspiracy to cover up his actions.

evidence against him, then he pulls out. i don't get it.

He says there is no evidence, so why pull out? surely if there is no evidence it would be open shut.

I'm gutted.
Well I was watching BBC earlier and they made it sound as though he isn't contesting the charges because the evidence against him is so strong. Like 5th says, very suspicious that he wouldn't challenge it, if you were truly innocent you'd fight it all the way, especially if it's your whole fucking life's work on the line.

They also said a lot of his team mates and fellow cyclists would potentially testify against him.

So to me it sounds like he doesn't stand a chance and has been found out as a drugs cheat.

Very strange indeed.
All I've heard is that the "evidence" is witness testimony. Armstrong claims that the witnesses were coerced into testifying by corrupt officials. It may sound like a long shot or a conspiracy, but the real question should be, how has he passed every single drug test if he'd been doping? Physical evidence > witness testimony almost every single time, and all the physical evidence seems to support Armstrong.
Just spoke to my father in law(big cycling fan), he heard on the radio that apparently 10 ex teammates were willing to testify against him.

Most likely passed by using masking agents, they're getting on top of that now, Frank Schleck got banned from this years TDF because he tested positive for a masking agent.
So why the hell doesn't he fight it then Tibs?

Him saying he's 'tired of it' is pretty fucking lame let's be honest. I'd fight in every court in the land to prove my innocence if my whole career, character and reputation were on the line. Hell this will ruin his reputation for all of time, I wouldn't stop fighting, just because it's getting tiresome.

Smacks of him being guilty in all fairness.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coffee has been banned...... Foxaèr 28 2691 May 28, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Which Banned AF Member Are You? Edwardo Piet 54 7543 May 1, 2018 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  When can I get banned? Foxaèr 27 2473 September 9, 2016 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Misread Thread Titles ignoramus 7 659 July 8, 2016 at 7:24 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Celebration Of The Banned Useless Failed Poe Thread Edwardo Piet 2 718 October 4, 2015 at 10:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If paper money was banned & silver & gold came back, what would happen? H2O 50 8728 March 7, 2015 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: H2O
  After the France incident : a Muslim -me- just thinking.. WinterHold 35 5663 January 15, 2015 at 9:45 am
Last Post: Chas
  Banned from Christian forums jashbagashley2 12 2519 September 30, 2014 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Why has Japan been banned from Antarctic Whaling? Aractus 9 2419 April 10, 2014 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Overblown job titles Tea Earl Grey Hot 14 1962 January 6, 2014 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet