Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Researchers Find More Evidence That Dolphins Use Names
Researchers Find More Evidence That Dolphins Use Names
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/0...-whistles/
Quote:For decades, scientists have been fascinated by dolphins’ so-called signature whistles: distinctive vocal patterns learned early and used throughout life. The purpose of these whistles is a matter of debate, but new research shows that dolphins respond selectively to recorded versions of their personal signatures, much as a person might react to someone calling their name.
[...]
Gero is especially interested in the different ways that dolphins responded to hearing their signature called. Sometimes they simply repeated their signature — a bit, perhaps, like hearing your name called and shouting back, “Yes, I’m here!” Some dolphins, however, followed their signatures with a long string of other whistles.

“It opens the door to syntax, to how and when it’s ‘appropriate’ to address one another,” said Gero, who wonders if the different response types might be related to social roles or status. Referring to each other by name suggests that dolphins may recall past experiences with other individual dolphins, Gero said.
RE: Researchers Find More Evidence That Dolphins Use Names
Quote:In some cases, he gave the animals LSD, and in an especially notorious experiment, his assistant Margaret Howe moved in with a randy dolphin named Peter in a specially constructed flooded house for two and half months, trying to teach it spoken English. Attracting more attention than their findings were Howe's notes about Peter's alleged, disruptive erections and apparent sexual dissatisfaction with her — she apparently would massage the dolphin until he reached orgasm.
bmine....hehehehehehe

http://www.livescience.com/37232-could-h...other.html
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I wonder if dolphin's expression for human has any other meaning in dolphinese.

(July 23, 2013 at 10:04 am)Rhythm Wrote:
Quote:In some cases, he gave the animals LSD, and in an especially notorious experiment, his assistant Margaret Howe moved in with a randy dolphin named Peter in a specially constructed flooded house for two and half months, trying to teach it spoken English. Attracting more attention than their findings were Howe's notes about Peter's alleged, disruptive erections and apparent sexual dissatisfaction with her — she apparently would massage the dolphin until he reached orgasm.
bmine....hehehehehehe

I wonder if dolphin's expression for "human" has any other layers of meanings in dolphinese.
It's not dolphinese Chuck, it's dolphish.
How about Lingua Delphina?
Yes, but do they conjugate their verbs properly? That's what really matters in language.

Also, free LSD and handjobs? I have to figure out where to buy a dolphin costume, cuz that thing's living the dream!
Fascinating.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYSFz5-NKg5YVQrD3Ui3n...x0nX4NH4pA]
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evidence to Convict? RoadRunner79 262 63898 August 15, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  What moral justification besides bodily autonomy do you use to support the position t DogmaticDownSouth 29 6426 July 5, 2017 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Researchers may have solved origin-of-life conundrum TubbyTubby 6 2348 March 19, 2015 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Is‏ ‏there 50 evidence of evolution?‎ king krish 74 11670 January 14, 2015 at 1:50 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Researchers debunk myth of 'right-brain' and 'left-brain' personality traits CleanShavenJesus 11 5791 August 18, 2013 at 7:12 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Precision in Nature: Evidence of God or Accidents? Alter2Ego 20 8223 August 13, 2013 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Something completely different
  Evidence of life on Europa and Enceladus? popeyespappy 7 3124 July 8, 2013 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Best Evidence For Evolution RonaldReagansGhost666 35 15483 February 12, 2013 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Zone
  Bloody men, and dolphins jonb 4 2049 October 15, 2012 at 7:56 am
Last Post: jonb
  Apes Make and Use Tools Minimalist 30 12384 September 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: JohnDG