Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do Christians sound stupid?
Why do Christians sound stupid?
I used to wonder why Christians sound so incredibly stupid. And the worst part about it is we usually think we're smart but when you read the arguments or open statements of Christians online, you're sure to blush with shame that anyone with a human brain can come up with balderdash that Christians habitually utter.

Statistically, we Christians are stupider than atheists. I remember seeing the video of Dawkins interviewing Ian McEwan (who happens to be one of my favourite novelists) and they both agreed all their friends didn't believe in a supernatural God even though some might be Christians. I remember feeling relieved because at least I'm a Christian who doesn't believe in any supernatural garbage so if I were older, they might count me as a friend.

93% of top scientists in the US (members of the Academy of Science or something like that - the equivalent of the Royal Society) are atheists. The figure is even higher in Britain and the rest of Europe.

But I don't think the Christians who go online are all that stupid. I'm sure they are the better ones and the real duffers don't go online at all.

So why do Christians sound stupid? Why do they have to resort to being evasive to the point that they appear deceptive and dishonest?

My theory is this - the average Christian has his intelligence compromised because he is trying so hard to defend the indefensible that he has to resort to evasiveness, dishonesty and stupid arguments. I mean how can a person with an IQ of no less than 50 possibly justify the existence of this hocus-pocus bogeyman in the sky? It's so stupid only children below 8 can possibly believe in it.

And to make things worse for the Christian, he stupidly pegs his faith on a stupid collection of ancient books that contains outrageous errors, falsehood, untruths, lies and all kinds of ridiculous violence. A book that makes God out to be a repulsive, filthy, racist, genocidal, infanticidal, sexist bastard. A book that easily puts God into the most notorious section of Madam Tussaud's House of Horror.

Now, if that's not enough, for all the horrid reputation this God shit has. he is in fact so ridiculously impotent that a child of two could pee on his face and he could do nothing about it. The poor Christian tries so hard to defend this ogre of the Bible but at the same time, when atheists kick God in his non-existent rump, the poor Christian sees how ineffectual God is. He can't even strike back.

So we have an ancient book that claims all kinds of horror committed by this ogre when in fact it's as stupidly harmless as a pussy cat.

If that's not enough to make the poor Christian mad, it at least knocks off 50 points off the Christian's already low IQ and so what we see in forums are the usual twerps running around with their twittish arguments.

I've seen many atheists saying they don't even know where to begin. The Christian's arguments are so incredibly stupid, you've got to remove layers and layers of idiocy before you can even begin to reply. How can anyone talk to a jabbering idiot?

Although the urge to ridicule and laugh at Christian idiocy is strong, I believe we should treat them with kindness. Nobody wants to be stupid but who can help himself if he is stupid? Religion can be a mental illness - think of Muslim suicide bombers. No sane person can tell me with a straight face that Islam is not a severe form of mental illness for these suicide bombers. The same with my religion, Christianity. Even clever people choose insanity just to justify this monstrosity called God. A good example is that very unwise Kurt Wise. Of course he's as insane as the maddest madman, McMad.

How we treat these Christians (and they are my brothers and sisters in Christ) is a reflection of how we treat people in lunatic homes. There is only one cure for them - they've got to understand that God is just a metaphor. Like in the miracle plays in the Middle Ages in England, characters were named after attributes such as Honesty, Friendship, etc. John Bunyan's novel follows the same format. God is an attribute and you can call it "goodness" which is the same thing. Once a religious person gets this part straightened out, he's cured of his insanity,

And you won't see any more insanity, evasiveness and stupidity from believers.
RE: Why do Christians sound stupid?
Was this an "ad hominem" to each and every christian at the same time?
(September 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Was this an "ad hominem" to each and every christian at the same time?

No, I'm trying to justify the Christian's actions. If we don't recognise the reasons why a person behaves in a certain way, we may misunderstand him and misunderstanding is the root of all wars and bad blood.

Let's just say I'm a peacemaker. I see the fault in my fellow Christians and I say it openly. I think they can recognise this in themselves too but the biggest obstacle is they may not want to admit it.
Quote:I used to wonder why Christians sound so incredibly stupid

The Christians who insist on infesting Atheist forums tend to be atypical,giving the impression the average Christian is as dumb as bagful of hammers. This impressions is incorrect.

A lot of Christians come across as really stupid because their beliefs are based on authority, (dogma)rather than proof. For such people, the cerebral cortex is a vestigial organ.

They are NOT clinically stupid,merely willfully pig ignorant. The reason it is so hard to tell the difference between them and the clinically stupid is that for all practical purposes,there isn't one.

Grene, with a high-functioning cerebral cortex,you are also a typical. I think you sometimes seem a bit confused/conflicted, but never stupid.
(September 7, 2012 at 7:48 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:I used to wonder why Christians sound so incredibly stupid

The Christians who insist on infesting Atheist forums tend to be atypical,giving the impression the average Christian is as dumb as bagful of hammers. This impressions is incorrect.

A lot of Christians come across as really stupid because their beliefs are based on authority, (dogma)rather than proof. For such people, the cerebral cortex is a vestigial organ.

They are NOT clinically stupid,merely willfully pig ignorant. The reason it is so hard to tell the difference between them and the clinically stupid is that for all practical purposes,there isn't one.

Grene, with a high-functioning cerebral cortex,you are also a typical. I think you sometimes seem a bit confused/conflicted, but never stupid.

Thanks for your kind remarks. The reason why I don't sound stupid is because I don't believe in a supernatural being. I believe the moment you believe in such a being and worse, if you try to justify it or much much worse (as some self-righteous Christians do) you insist those who don't believe are stupid or perverse, the reasoning part of the brain begins to atrophy like what happened to this poor man whose brain cells have atrophied for 50 years (or so he says):

(September 7, 2012 at 7:15 pm)greneknight Wrote: Statistically, we Christians are stupider than atheists. I remember seeing the video of Dawkins interviewing Ian McEwan (who happens to be one of my favourite novelists) and they both agreed all their friends didn't believe in a supernatural God even though some might be Christians. I remember feeling relieved because at least I'm a Christian who doesn't believe in any supernatural garbage so if I were older, they might count me as a friend.

So, you believe in christ but not in god?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
From personal experience, I have found the Christians, Jews, and Moslems to be much more intelligent than the self-proclaimed Atheists I have met (if you compare them to simply those who simply do not believe, I would say they are both equally as intelligent). But I met most of those religious folk at top-rated universities so that might just be the exception (never met a believer that denied evolution at least as far as I am aware)....I don't hang around Fundamentalists and may have only met a few in my life.

From what I have seen from the Atheists is they are quite stubborn to reason or logic. They basically repeat the same few fallacies they read off some blog, which do not hold up to academic scrutiny at the middle school level. As a Christian, I actually want them to be confrontational in this manner because they are shooting themselves in the foot. But these Atheists are just the opposite side of Christian Fundamentalism....neither group is indicative of the overall population, but both are seen as the stereotype.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
You complaining about other people's lack of ability to use reason and logic, Polaris, is a bit like Rush Limbaugh complaining about Americans being too fat.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
It's hard to construct this without falling into the very trap I'm attempting to describe, but in my experience atheists and similar non-believers have a tendency not to make sweeping generalisations. Quite what that may say about intelligence I have no idea and less desire to speculate.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 7, 2012 at 8:57 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(September 7, 2012 at 7:15 pm)greneknight Wrote: Statistically, we Christians are stupider than atheists. I remember seeing the video of Dawkins interviewing Ian McEwan (who happens to be one of my favourite novelists) and they both agreed all their friends didn't believe in a supernatural God even though some might be Christians. I remember feeling relieved because at least I'm a Christian who doesn't believe in any supernatural garbage so if I were older, they might count me as a friend.

So, you believe in christ but not in god?

That depends on what you mean by "belief" in God and "belief" in Christ. I believe in goodness and truth and justice. Therefore I believe in God (a metaphor for goodness, truth and justice). I believe in the teachings of Christ as laid down by the church - do good to others, love others, etc. I don't believe in the teachings of Jesus originally, the pre-Pauline teachings which were probably just a fanatical version of Zionism. Jesus was probably an apocalyptic zealot whose sole mission was to get rid of the Romans from the land of the Jews. Of course I don't accept the teachings of the real historical Jesus (assuming he existed). But what we today take to be the teachings of Jesus ie what the church has done to it seems wholesome enough and I don't mind adopting it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things atheists say: Goatherders Data 45 1810 September 18, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13185 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2210 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7836 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Damned STUPID Priest yesterday . . . drfuzzy 102 7284 December 6, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17593 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4788 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3940 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15048 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What xtian hymns sound like to an atheist drfuzzy 30 7914 September 22, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Succubus