Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Power of Now
The Power of Now
is a book by Eckhart Tolle.

Has anyone ever read it before? He's supposedly a spiritual leader of some sort after selling 3 million copies. I'm open to the idea of spiritualism but the way he introduces it makes it seem like 'it is, because I said it is'. He only has anecdotal evidence for such stuff.

Either way, I thought it might be a good book to read for the philosophy of it all. Thoughts anyone?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: The Power of Now
Quote:Spiritualism is a belief system or religion, postulating the belief that spirits of the dead residing in the spirit world have both the ability and the inclination to communicate with the living.

If this is the definition of spiritualism, I call bullshit. Good book to read? Nah, I say something else in the department of fiction would be better and more entertaining.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

So you've read it?

Well the thing is that the guy self-proclaims his book as being 'spiritual' but when I read the first 4 pages at the store, it didn't sound anything like the description you've given.

He starts off by explaining his past frustration in life. After a few suicidal thoughts every now and again, he started thinking 'I just can't live with myself anymore'. Then, in a nutshell, he realised there's more to him i.e. two of him. The 'I' that couldn't live with 'myself'.

From that starting point, I think he goes on to explain how we can control ourselves and be able to experience some sort of higher consciousness where our bodies aren't so in control of our conscious mind. I think the best way to illustrate what that might look like is e.g. an addiction. The mind wants to stop but the body says otherwise.

Like I said, he self-proclaims this as being spiritual, but I see some interesting philosophy instead, namely, Buddhism and Taoism (judging by other pages I flicked to).
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(September 7, 2012 at 9:25 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: is a book by Eckhart Tolle.

The title is off-putting. There's no such thing as "now".
[Image: ascent_descent422.jpg]
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
(September 8, 2012 at 4:01 am)Red Celt Wrote:
(September 7, 2012 at 9:25 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: is a book by Eckhart Tolle.

The title is off-putting. There's no such thing as "now".

I think he loosely uses the term in relation with the past and future. So in a nutshell he says pondering on the past is useless and worrying about the future isn't much better.
(September 8, 2012 at 4:16 am)FallentoReason Wrote:
(September 8, 2012 at 4:01 am)Red Celt Wrote: The title is off-putting. There's no such thing as "now".

I think he loosely uses the term in relation with the past and future. So in a nutshell he says pondering on the past is useless and worrying about the future isn't much better.

If your ancestors hadn't worried about the future, you wouldn't be here reading these words.

Red Celt's Blog
(September 8, 2012 at 4:18 am)Red Celt Wrote:
(September 8, 2012 at 4:16 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I think he loosely uses the term in relation with the past and future. So in a nutshell he says pondering on the past is useless and worrying about the future isn't much better.

If your ancestors hadn't worried about the future, you wouldn't be here reading these words.

I doubt a less powerful brain would have the capacity to understand such a concept. They would have actually been worried about the 'now' ironically, like don't starve, don't die in a fight...
(September 8, 2012 at 8:32 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I doubt a less powerful brain would have the capacity to understand such a concept. They would have actually been worried about the 'now' ironically, like don't starve, don't die in a fight...

That's still the future, however short term. I repeat; there's no such thing as "now". Only the past and the future.

Red Celt's Blog
(September 8, 2012 at 8:37 am)Red Celt Wrote:
(September 8, 2012 at 8:32 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I doubt a less powerful brain would have the capacity to understand such a concept. They would have actually been worried about the 'now' ironically, like don't starve, don't die in a fight...

That's still the future, however short term. I repeat; there's no such thing as "now". Only the past and the future.

Yeah, I agree with you about there being no 'now', but for practical terms I think you can get by. It's almost like a saying in a way, because no one would say e.g. 'I feel like a pizza in 1x10^-99 seconds'. You just say 'I feel like a pizza right now'.

Wait... there's a thought! Would it ever be right to say 'I will feel like a pizza' when you mean 'now'? That feeling will have to come eventually. It can't linger in the future forever, meaning that eventually it has to happen in the 'now'.
(September 8, 2012 at 9:16 am)FallentoReason Wrote: It's almost like a saying in a way, because no one would say e.g. 'I feel like a pizza in 1x10^-99 seconds'. You just say 'I feel like a pizza right now'.

Well, what you think in the "idea of now" motivates your actions in the immediate future.

e.g.

I feel like a pizza
Walk to kitchen
Open drawer containing odd 'n' ends and takeaway menus
Find one that sells pizza
Walk to phone
Make phonecall
Order pizza
...etc

Short-term future events work a little like short-term memory of past events. You're planning the series of events that will lead to the phone call, starting with your walk to the kitchen. As the events unfold, short-term future events become short-term memory. The transition between those two states are what we think of as "now". Even though it doesn't actually exist.

Red Celt's Blog

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Don't underestimate the power of the dork side Foxaèr 17 777 March 7, 2021 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Power Outages onlinebiker 15 1723 February 11, 2019 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Marozz
  The power of change Foxaèr 11 1557 April 1, 2018 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What if you had the power to reinvent money ErGingerbreadMandude 26 4538 October 8, 2017 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Power Struggle with Roommate; Need Advice InquiringMind 16 2892 April 5, 2017 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  The Power of Introverts Vincenzo Vinny G. 5 1643 December 5, 2012 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  Stihl Power Tools Fan Thread Tino 10 4613 November 4, 2012 at 4:01 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Waiting for the Power to Go Out Tino 45 7482 November 1, 2012 at 6:10 am
Last Post: Tino
Question What is your favorite super power reverendjeremiah 35 10982 May 3, 2011 at 12:12 am
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels
  Ahh, the power of cheese. jonathanwithaj 1 1080 August 19, 2009 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Dotard