Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waiting for the Power to Go Out
Here in the DC 'burbs the winds from Sandy are just starting to kick up and it should just be a short time before we lose power for three days or so. I bought cool LED head lights for everyone in the family, so we can walk around the house looking like coal miners. Extra gas and oil for the chain saw too. Downloaded a few more Kindle books and a shitload of podcasts to combat boredom. Hope everyone stays safe out there in atheist land. You believers out there....watch out for falling crucifixi, waiting to snap off a limb.
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
RE: Waiting for the Power to Go Out
I just moved west from Virginia two weeks ago. Safely out of reach now!

Could not have planned that any better!

You poor suckers on the coast, you all stay safe and busy. I'd pray for you if that was a thing.
Yup, us too. We have flashlights, backup batteries, and the boys have little electric lanterns. Just hoping some of our trees don't come down, we've got 3 that are bigger than our house and could cause significant damage. Undecided Stay safe!
The trees should stay up as long as they aren't sick.

Y'all should really think about investing in generators.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Wow I'm lucky to be on the west coast hope everything goes over smooth for everyone.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
(October 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm)Annik Wrote: The trees should stay up as long as they aren't sick.

Only one of them isn't in good condition. It's nestled in our backyard between our house and two of our neighbor's homes. If it were to fall, well, it wouldn't be good, unless it fell in a very specific way and just took out some fences.
I'd hope it doesn't go down, then. During Wilma a tree took our my grandma's roof. I spent a lot of time helping my dad and his friend repair the damage. I will admit that I had fun at the beginning. My dad let my brother and I demo the ceiling and that was awesome (until fiber glass insulation mixed with sweaty skin, haha).
Ouch! Fiberglass insulation can hurt! I'd just feel bad if it damaged one of our neighbors' homes. Not that I want it to fall on our house either. Hopefully it'll stay up, maybe the houses will protect it from the worst of the wind. *crosses fingers*
I hope none of the trees fall as well. Stay safe.

Are you anywhere very near the coast?
No, so there's a spot of luck. I don't have to worry about storm surges!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Don't underestimate the power of the dork side Foxaèr 17 771 March 7, 2021 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Power Outages onlinebiker 15 1716 February 11, 2019 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Marozz
  The power of change Foxaèr 11 1548 April 1, 2018 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What if you had the power to reinvent money ErGingerbreadMandude 26 4525 October 8, 2017 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Power Struggle with Roommate; Need Advice InquiringMind 16 2892 April 5, 2017 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  The Power of Introverts Vincenzo Vinny G. 5 1642 December 5, 2012 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  Stihl Power Tools Fan Thread Tino 10 4612 November 4, 2012 at 4:01 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  The Power of Now FallentoReason 12 8041 September 8, 2012 at 9:54 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
Question What is your favorite super power reverendjeremiah 35 10957 May 3, 2011 at 12:12 am
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels
  Ahh, the power of cheese. jonathanwithaj 1 1079 August 19, 2009 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Dotard