Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 5:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There were lots of heroes 11 years ago today, but this one man deserves some recognition for his actions.
There were lots of heroes 11 years ago today, but this one man deserves some recognition for his actions.
Rick Rescorla, director of security at Morgan Stanley:

Rescorla, with his old American friend from Rhodesia, Dan Hill, reasoned that the World Trade Center was still a target for terrorists and that the next attack could be a plane crashing into one of the towers. He recommended to his superiors at Morgan Stanley that the company leave Manhattan. Office space and labor costs were lower in New Jersey, and the firm's employees and equipment would be safer in a proposed four-story building. However, this recommendation was not followed as the company's lease at the World Trade Center did not terminate until 2006. At Rescorla's insistence, all employees, including senior executives, then practiced emergency evacuations every three months.

At 8:46 a.m., American Airlines Flight 11 struck World Trade Center Tower 1. Rescorla, following his evacuation plans, ignored building officials' advice to stay put and began the orderly evacuation of Morgan Stanley's 2,700 employees on twenty floors of World Trade Center Tower 2, and 1,000 employees in WTC 5. Rescorla reminded everyone to "...be proud to be an American ...everyone will be talking about you tomorrow", and sang God Bless America and other military songs over his bullhorn to help evacuees stay calm as they left the building.

Rescorla had most of Morgan Stanley’s 2,700 employees as well as people working on other floors of WTC 2 safely out of the buildings by the time United Airlines Flight 175 hit WTC 2 at 9:03 a.m. After leading many of his fellow employees to safety, Rescorla returned to the building to rescue others still inside. When one of his colleagues told him he too had to evacuate the World Trade Center, Rescorla replied, "As soon as I make sure everyone else is out".

According to Stephan Newhouse, chairman of Morgan Stanley International, Rescorla was seen as high as the 72nd floor evacuating people, clearing the floors and working his way down. He was last seen heading up the stairs of the tenth floor of the collapsing WTC 2. His remains were not recovered. As a result of Rescorla's actions, all but 13 of Morgan Stanley's 2,700 WTC employees survived.
RE: There were lots of heroes 11 years ago today, but this one man deserves some recognition for his actions.
Who were the idiotic building officials that cost people their lives anyway? This unlucky man was one of those told to go back to his office.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEwY8uZ4BAI

Thinking about it, wasn't it those same imbeciles who set up antennae farms on top of the doomed towers that prevented the NYPD from using the Helipads?
RE: There were lots of heroes 11 years ago today, but this one man deserves some recognition for his actions.
Wow. I had never heard of him. What an amazing person.
(September 11, 2012 at 3:37 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Who were the idiotic building officials that cost people their lives anyway? This unlucky man was one of those told to go back to his office.
Not so idiotic. When Tower 1 was hit, the people in Tower 2 were told to remain in their offices. After all, at the time people thought it was a tragic accident and didn't expect either the second plane, or for the first tower to collapse. Evacuating both towers would be a mess of confusion, especially with possible falling debris.
Evacuating the towers was a mess of confusion. Of course, I wouldn't have told people where to go or what to do. If you feel unsafe and want to leave a building, go. No one should be able to tell you to compromise your sense of safety.
I saw this on Reddit earlier this morning. Brave guy who obviously cared a lot about his company and staff.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
What pissed me off was those rescued by the incredibly brave actions of Firefightrers, police, medics and heros like this man were seen 'thanking god'. God was nowhere to be fucking seen.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bacha Bazi: how poor Afghani boys were raped. WinterHold 76 5852 December 29, 2022 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The prospect of starting a family in today's economic system Macoleco 23 2397 October 3, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Republican Representative compares his party's fight to Imperial Japanese Soldiers Rev. Rye 2 287 November 24, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Three months ago I would have been dead ... Gawdzilla Sama 21 1234 October 30, 2020 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I voted today. Brian37 17 1031 October 25, 2020 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  80 years.. WinterHold 45 1578 August 23, 2020 at 6:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Compare Joe Biden In 2012 To Him Today: Signs of Dementia Are Clear ReptilianPeon 11 1968 April 12, 2020 at 6:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  trump the republican asks communist china to investigate his potential election rival Anomalocaris 10 1094 October 4, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I know I'm in the minority with this one-but this is a slippery slope in my opinion A Godzilla fan 19 1253 September 30, 2019 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Anyone going to watch Mueller today? Brian37 33 5301 July 26, 2019 at 8:24 am
Last Post: Amarok