Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why aren't you a Christian?
Why aren't you a Christian?
Hey guys, this is a sincere question.

I like to look into concerns that people raise regarding Christianity.

Also, if there were any compelling reasons that prompted you to transition into atheism from Christianity I would be very interested to hear those as well.

Thanks for your time and responses.
RE: Why aren't you a Christian?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7cry-4pyy8
Why aren't you a Muslim?

Big Grin
Because I love the darkness and I am evil, and I am afraid of the light, lest my works be exposed.
(September 20, 2012 at 7:25 pm)Reasonable_Jeff Wrote: Hey guys, this is a sincere question.

I like to look into concerns that people raise regarding Christianity.

Also, if there were any compelling reasons that prompted you to transition into atheism from Christianity I would be very interested to hear those as well.

Thanks for your time and responses.

Yeah, sure, np. I find the very core of christianity to be abjectly horrid and I would not be christian if it were more than a collection of fairy tales. I am not a scapegoater, I do not worship scapegoating gods, and I do not trust or enjoy the company of scapegoating people (or people who think it's just swell).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
My sincere answer to your sincere question is: do I have to be? While of course belief isn't a matter of choice, I nevertheless have the freedom, the latitude if you will, to follow the dictates of my conscience and not be tied down to rigid dogma. I do not give belief lightly; to a faith system I give it not at all, particularly one which necessitates the subjugation of my intellect, my learning and my moral compass.

To give my perspective a bit of context, consider the counter-question "why aren't you a Muslim/Sikh/Hindu/etc?" In fact, while I have your attention, "why aren't you an atheist?"

Edit: I see Rayaan beat me to the counter-question. Note to self - must type faster.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I will answer in all seriousness tomorrow. It's good you are seeking both sides Jeff.
(September 20, 2012 at 7:54 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Edit: I see Rayaan beat me to the counter-question. Note to self - must type faster.

You're getting old(er).... you'll never type faster, no matter how many notes to self you make! Wink

You can always try to learn:
http://keybr.com/
I read the bible, and I'm the owner of a functioning brain.

The question that kept echoing in the back of my mind whilst I was trying to be a xtian: Even if there was a god, what makes this one the one true god?

I had the cognition from a very early age that people who worshiped other gods felt just as passionately about their gods as the xtians felt about their own god. When I sat down to read the bible, sure it would convince me the the xtian god was the one true god, all it did was made me want to fucking hurl. I kept reading it, and out loud, I would exclaim "YEAH RIGHT!".

I had all these facts gathered in my head, and everything I read in that book just sounded to me like made up bullshit that a bunch of ancient dickheads wrote to explain the things they couldn't understand, push their personal political and moral agendas, and control the masses.

I know some seemingly intelligent people who are self-proclaimed xtians. The only thing I can attribute that to, as a professional in the psychological field, is fear. Casually, it's called "The Blankie Complex".

I'm an atheist because I'm smart enough to know religions are all a bunch of made up nonsense, and I am not a fucking baby anymore. I don't need a blankie, I need truth, even if it's unsettling...

(September 20, 2012 at 8:31 pm)pocaracas Wrote: You can always try to learn:
http://keybr.com/

Interestingly, I took Typing at school. Well, they called it the more formal Typewriting, but I came away with an RSA Grade 1 (Distinction) and that was with manual typewriters. Can't remember what my typing speed was but it was based on touch-typing working from existing text... if I took the time to compose what I wanted to type, like I do now, I'd most likely still be sitting there in the exam room, surrounded by a load of eighteen-year-old schoolgirls.

Oh.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 17732 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87841 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2739 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why i became a protestant Christian Rispri 34 6470 February 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Is it possible to avoid masterbation or nocturnal emission if you aren't married ? The Wise Joker 63 9248 January 31, 2017 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why I'm Still a Christian Lek 265 31394 March 9, 2015 at 5:37 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Why I'm still not a Christian. Whateverist 37 5287 March 4, 2015 at 11:28 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Why I never was a Christian in the first place DeistPaladin 17 4248 March 1, 2015 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Evangelical Alliance: "We aren't homophobic women-haters" Foxaèr 170 22090 December 20, 2014 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Why i'm not a Christian and why i left the faith as a child. dyresand 20 5406 November 8, 2014 at 10:01 am
Last Post: dyresand