Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I never was a Christian in the first place
Why I never was a Christian in the first place
So let me see if I got this straight.

You believe that God sent himself down to earth to become his own son so that he could sacrifice himself to appease his own wrath because it was the only way that he could convince himself to forgive us for being such sinful beings, because blood sacrifice makes everything better because...

Well, that part is never explained... but that's not the point. The point is we're sinful beings in need of a savior. The reason we're sinful beings is because an ancestor of mine ate a magic fruit after speaking with a talking snake and that brought "sin" into the world because...

Well, that part isn't explained either... but that's not the point. The point is we should admit we're sinners worthy of Hell because people should be punished for the crimes of their ancestors because...

Well, that part is a little outdated, isn't it... but that's not the point. The point is that Jesus loves you. He loves you so much. And if you don't accept him as your lord he'll torture you for all eternity.

Oh dear, that sounds less like love and more like an abusive spouse, doesn't it? Well, that's not the point. The point is that Jesus demands worship like a megalomaniac and yet shyly hides behind a curtain instead of taking center stage like such a personality would be expected to. It's almost like some people just made up these rules to suit their agenda to gain more followers with false promises about an afterlife that can't be verified.

But I shouldn't believe that because the Bible tells me it's all true. This same book tells me the universe operates according to a god that isn't at all subtle or shy. Turn nearly any page and you read about magic, angels and overt displays of divine power that can't be mistaken for natural occurrence or coincidence. And yet when you put the book down, you see a natural universe governed by predictable laws and best understood by science and reason.

And then this same science tells me that we were not poofed into existence in some magic garden 6,000 years ago but evolved from simpler life forms. Some Christians accept science and say Genesis is just a metaphor. But if Genesis is a metaphor, when did "the fall" happen? And if there was no "fall", there was nothing for Jesus to save us from. Christianity unravels, such as it ever held together in the first place, either way.

It amazes me that anyone EVER believed this story, never mind in today.

And would someone please explain to me why love becomes evil when the body parts are similar?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: Why I never was a Christian in the first place
Worship (large)
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
"Love" is evil because it's fun. Joy is forbidden.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Fish in a barrel, yeah.

(February 28, 2015 at 3:06 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: And would someone please explain to me why love becomes evil when the body parts are similar?

It's Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve!

This appears to be the answer to that.
It's certainly the most quoted reason.

By the way,I would love to hear the Eden story told with Steve just hanging around in the background.

"Hey Steve"
"Sup Eve, Adam"

Comedy gold.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(February 28, 2015 at 5:36 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(February 28, 2015 at 3:06 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: And would someone please explain to me why love becomes evil when the body parts are similar?

It's Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve!
[...]

Actually - it was Adam, Eve and a whole lot of - apparently benevolent - animals, with conveniently placed orifices. Therefore bestiality must be "A-OK" in God's book...

And if we are to believe Genesis 2:20-23 - Eve was an afterthought. So originally God intended Adam to rely entirely on masturbation and/or bestiality. And if he did not have a sexual instinct at all - what were the testicles intended to be? A cat's toy?
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(February 28, 2015 at 5:36 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: By the way,I would love to hear the Eden story told with Steve just hanging around in the background.

"Hey Steve"
"Sup Eve, Adam"

Comedy gold.

Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
It is ludicrous and the weirdest thing is that at one time I considered it beautiful just like Christians do.

The way Christians explain away the existence of evil when god is supposed to be pure good is equally crazy.
I was never a Christian in the first place because Christianity isn't compatible with the most fundamental values I hold. My mom taught me a few things about Jesus, but she also taught me important values that exist regardless of religion. Her teachings ended up making me a non-Christian.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Quote:It amazes me that anyone EVER believed this story, never mind in today.

You have to evaluate it against the overwhelming stupidity and gullibility of jesus freaks to begin with, D-P.

Biggest bunch of assholes going....right next to the allah freaks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of Leonardo17 7 211 April 10, 2024 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 18625 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Most People Insist That Two Separate Being Can Never Be One KerimF 86 4354 June 17, 2023 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why is Jesus in third place when he deserves first? Greatest I am 25 4614 September 22, 2020 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88905 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Secret hiding place for ancient christians Foxaèr 20 2361 May 11, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2461 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2780 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why i became a protestant Christian Rispri 34 6643 February 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Christians never murdered anybody mcolafson 22 3473 December 15, 2016 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: vorlon13