Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does God never guide disbelievers?
Does God never guide disbelievers?
There is a lot of verses that state God doesn’t guide the disbelieving people. Other verses state that God doesn’t guide the unjust people.

Now these verses can be interpreted that God will not guide them while they disbelieve/don’t believe/are unjust, and would guide them if they leave that state, but even this is problematic because according to Islam leaving the state of disbelief or unjust state to just state would be “guidance”. It also stated no soul believes unless God wills it and that nothing happens without God’s will.

And some verses are promises that disbelievers will never believe, like the following:

In fact, being deaf, dumb, and blind is for the purpose of not returning:

Basically, they are hopeless, in the darkness, will never understand the book, deaf to hear the call.

Then we have Suratal Kaffiroon, which states, that they will not worship what Mohammad Worships.

Now this can be said to refer to disbelievers in that area of that time, but even then, it’s problematic. This is because disbelievers came into the religion (see Suratal Nasr) per Quran after the victory, and there are verses that talk about reward of those whom spend money in the way of God after and fought, and those whom did before, and they would all be rewarded good. So you can see, they became believers, even if initially when they converted outwardly, they were not believers.

This verse summarizes it perfectly:

But they ended up following.

And if we look at some of the verses, they are describing people whom disbelieve in general and the verses are general about whomever rejects God’s guidance. Therefore you have this additional problem.
RE: Does God never guide disbelievers?
I read it as if your a disbeliever your already fucked. lol

Which is a bit harsh on anyone not born a Muslim.

If you were looking for more examples then I remember reading some in the first couple of books.
(September 22, 2012 at 2:01 pm)Insanity x Wrote: I read it as if your a disbeliever your already fucked. lol

Exactly, but Quran shows disbelievers can become believers and not only can, but that most in Arabia did.

Therefore you have a contradiction.

No Muslim will believe it's impossible for disbeliever to be guided towards Islam. Faith is something to be said that doesn't happen unless God wills it.

This looks like a slip up from the Prophet.
(September 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Exactly, but Quran shows disbelievers can become believers and not only can, but that most in Arabia did.

No Muslim will believe it's impossible for disbeliever to be guided towards Islam. Faith is something to be said that doesn't happen unless God wills it.

Could mean disbelievers as atheists only. So anyone who is from another religion can convert but not atheists.
(September 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: This looks like a slip up from the Prophet.

Ixnay on the criticizing the prophetay. Angel

I may be getting guidance from God all the time or not at all. I just have no way of knowing. One thing is for sure though: I never expect or wait for any. In this life we are all better off to make our own choices and get what needs doing done ourselves. I suspect you would agree? Probably the only difference is you assume you are getting some and are grateful while I assume otherwise.
(September 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm)Insanity x Wrote:
(September 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Exactly, but Quran shows disbelievers can become believers and not only can, but that most in Arabia did.

Could mean disbelievers as atheists only. So anyone who is from another religion can convert but not atheists.

Disbelievers in context of Quran, means those whom disbelieve in God's Guidance.

The disbelievers of that Area almost all believed in God, they just associated with him Sons and daughters (Jinn/Angels) or worshiped idols a long with God.

One of the three verses I posted also stated those "whom believe not in God's Ayat"...

And other verses state those "whom deny God's Ayat"....

So even if disbelievers in Quran meant Atheists, then you would have those verses.

But it would not make sense in context of Quran, since almost all of Arabia believed in God and they were being addressed as disbelievers.

Also believers are contrasted to disbelievers, while Quran states those whom desire other then the religion of Islam, will be losers in the next. As well as other verses say all but believers are reduced to the lowest of the low.

Aside from that, is verses stating disbelievers can become believers. For example, the famous verse that if disbelievers stop their opposition and believe, all their past sins will be forgiven.

That is why people say converts come with a fresh sheet.

(September 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm)whateverist Wrote:
(September 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: This looks like a slip up from the Prophet.

Ixnay on the criticizing the prophetay. Angel

I may be getting guidance from God all the time or not at all. I just have no way of knowing. One thing is for sure though: I never expect or wait for any. In this life we are all better off to make our own choices and get what needs doing done ourselves. I suspect you would agree?

Yeah I agree.
Quote:Probably the only difference is you assume you are getting some and are grateful while I assume otherwise.

I don't think God interferes, I feel like morality is linked to him, but that he made up a system....

If I say God guided me to the truth, I would have to say, others who believe in false religions or what not, God is treating me special over them.

And I don't believe that. I believe there is a system, and I believe there is inner sword of God within the soul, but it's not that God interferes, it's that the system he constantly creates, can guide people, and that includes the system of the mind and soul.
Quote:Exactly, but Quran shows disbelievers can become believers and not only can, but that most in Arabia did.

It's amazing what people will agree to if you swing a sword at their head.
(September 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Exactly, but Quran shows disbelievers can become believers and not only can, but that most in Arabia did.

I know. Threaten me with eternal torment of any grotesque form you can think of and I'll laugh in your face. But hold a sword over my living body and I'll give you all the hosannas and praise-be-to-Allah's you require.
(September 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

Yeah I know, this is why the "it's the best generation of people and they are all trustworthy" doctrine of Sunnis never flew with me. Most "Sahabas" converted to Islam due to force, or felt like once Quraysh believed, they should follow Quraysh;s lead and not fight...basically due to the fact Quran stated because they kept up on breaking treaties, to fight them until they accept Islam or die.

If Imam Ali was appointed by the Prophet, it's no surprise if most people reject him, as they were very much opposed to Islam from the beginning till the victory.
(September 22, 2012 at 1:36 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: There is a lot of verses that state God doesn’t guide the disbelieving people. Other verses state that God doesn’t guide the unjust people
That's not a contradiction, is it?

And yeah, the verse "Allah guides whom He wills" is one of the things that seems to confuse a lot of people (even Muslims). It gives an impression as if man doesn't have any free will in regards to his faith and that God is the only who can guide him toward the truth. However, I don't think that's true, because my understanding of God's guidance is that it is (1) determined by His attributes, not by whim and (2) it is also dependent on the internal quality of the heart. This means that a good heart will be drawn to further goodness, whereas a bad heart may decide to repent or it may harden into a deeper state of rebellion.

An analogy of the above would be the the rays of the sun, shining down and spreading light and warmth on the earth. Under the same benevolence, a lump of wax will soften and melt, but, on the other hand, a lump of clay will harden more and more as time goes on. Similarly, one's disbelief is inclined to become stronger and deeper as he remains in that state and, on the other hand, one's belief is inclined to become stronger and deeper as he remains in that state. This, I think, implies that God's guidance is actually dependent on our own internal qualities.

I don't believe that we have complete free will, but I believe that we must have at least some degree of free will in order for personal accountability and love of God to have any real meaning in our lives whatsoever. Islam teaches that man is a being of free will that continuously chooses either the way of his fitrah (spiritual nature) or the way of his tabi’ah (animal nature), and so it is with this free will, or rather, a "limited" type of free will, that man determines his life in the Hereafter. See the article below on the topic of free will and determinism:

Free Will and Determinism from a Scientific and Religious Perspective

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Quranic reflection]: hell is a black hole-part V, objects never leave hell. WinterHold 40 3132 January 5, 2023 at 11:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Never call other humans disbelievers! Mystic 42 5902 October 29, 2018 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Does Quran prove God? Mystic 88 10858 October 14, 2018 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Believers are meant to suffer while disbelievers are enjoying themselves Kimmy 3 475 August 23, 2018 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Fireball
Wink Does god got a place for philosophers, or is it just a fairytale for stupids? MixedUpSatan 19 2473 October 28, 2017 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: MixedUpSatan
  Did humanity ignore this as it was never mentioned? WinterHold 41 8777 July 21, 2017 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: Vast Vision
  Vaccinations are Haram apparently, and Muhammadans never get AIDS... ReptilianPeon 1 872 December 27, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Somebody born in space (e.g. on Mars) csn never conduct Hajj or Umrah ReptilianPeon 24 4283 April 4, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  OP ED RANT! Never accuse me of this. Brian37 62 12351 February 21, 2016 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Ten facts you never knew about Muhammad's religion (lol) ReptilianPeon 11 4199 May 27, 2015 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Prince