Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:58 am

Poll: How often do you feel "Stupid"?
This poll is closed.
Always.
0%
0 0%
Often.
50.00%
9 50.00%
Sometimes.
22.22%
4 22.22%
Rarely.
16.67%
3 16.67%
Never.
11.11%
2 11.11%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How often do you feel "stupid"?
RE: How often do you feel "stupid"?
If I don't feel stupid, when trying to find an answer, it is usually because, I have not thought about all the possibilities within the question.
I feel very stupid when on this forum, I oftern dont know if what I`m writing makes any sence, or has the meaning I want it to have, but I do think my english will gradualy become better when time passes.
(November 4, 2012 at 9:04 am)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: I feel very stupid when on this forum, I oftern dont know if what I`m writing makes any sence, or has the meaning I want it to have, but I do think my english will gradualy become better when time passes.

Your English (with the exception of some poorly spelled words) is very good. Don't feel stupid!

I feel stupid on a daily basis. There is always some preconceived notion that I had that gets proved wrong purely because I didn't fact-check. I feel very foolish in those situations and now I actively try and verify things before believing them. I also feel stupid when I act with emotion before gathering the facts.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]

There's a distinctinction between being stupid and being wrong. A critical thinking club I joined in the past year asked the question of whether I recalled any recent time that I had recognized that I had been wrong. Their conclusion was that if I didn't, then I was probably not a critical thinker. But they neglect the possibility that maybe it's because I'm usually right, or guarded in opinions where caution and further research is advisable. It reminded me of a series of Youtube videos which was like one of those books where your choices determine the course of the story, and the series title was, "Are you a rational debater?" The first question in the series was, "Can you imagine anything which would change your mind?" Being prescient, and snarky, I answered no, and was greeted with the self-satisfied smarm of this woman telling me I was not a rational debater. When I asked this Youtube poster if there was anything which would change her mind about me not being a rational debater for believing thusly, she said no. I made a few vain attempts to point out that she had constructed a variant of the liar's paradox, but to no avail. She just couldn't comprehend that having a dogmatically unfalsifiable position on the question of falsification itself was itself not a rational position. "Oh well."

Anyway, as a Taoist, I try to embrace my inner stupid. So in some ways I feel it less, as I'm happy it's a part of me. Life is about being human, not simply being smart or right.

The sage stays behind, thus he is ahead.
He is detached, thus at one with all.
Through selfless action, he attains fulfillment.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching, Ch. 7

"I'm tired of hanging on to you / I mean it this time." — Marti Jones, Back Of The Line

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Rarely...and when I do, I learn from my stupidity.
I wanted to make a snarky comment about how clever I am and how I've never felt stupid before, but I'm too stupid to think of one.
Goes without saying Napo Big Grin

Bazinga!!!
I feel stupid only when I am faced with things that seem to be forever beyond my intellect. I can listen to someone talk about the basic concepts of something like particle physics, but throw even the easiest of the equations they use at me and you might as well have handed it to a two year-old.
I don't feel stupid; I just feel stupider.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Stupid Cousin question of the day. Gawdzilla Sama 4 457 December 12, 2020 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Do you feel loved? Cod 46 3029 October 16, 2019 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Cod
  When someone says something really stupid. Cod 8 1546 July 28, 2019 at 7:35 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stupid shit you've seen. Gawdzilla Sama 44 5729 December 26, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stupid Sayings brewer 52 2928 October 12, 2018 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2241 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How do you honestly feel about younger people complaining about being old? Foxaèr 30 4950 May 6, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Ever feel like you don't belong in this world? Foxaèr 44 4806 April 3, 2018 at 5:48 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Stupid Spell Check. Brian37 19 2193 March 25, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stupid humans & risk taking Brian37 20 4163 March 25, 2018 at 11:24 am
Last Post: rskovride