Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear Mark 13:13 & Catholics
Dear Mark 13:13 & Catholics
My question is a simple one.

How can you justify using "the" LXX and the Latin Vulgate as "inspired scripture"???? (PS in this context the LXX means Codex Vaticanus minus the NT).

Good luck in your quest for justification. Angel
RE: Dear Mark 13:13 & Catholics
And how about the whole bible while you're at it?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(December 31, 2012 at 10:22 pm)Aractus Wrote: My question is a simple one.

How can you justify using "the" LXX and the Latin Vulgate as "inspired scripture"???? (PS in this context the LXX means Codex Vaticanus minus the NT).

Good luck in your quest for justification. Angel

Same way you justify using the bible I suppose.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Try and post on-topic guys. Rolleyes
What's your reasoning for what should be considered "scripture" and what shouldn't?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Like most protestants, I don't believe any translation, no matter what language, no matter how old, to be scripture. The Bible was written in Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic, not in Latin, etc.
(January 1, 2013 at 4:13 am)Aractus Wrote: Like most protestants, I don't believe any translation, no matter what language, no matter how old, to be scripture. The Bible was written in Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic, not in Latin, etc.

Right, but in terms of what document is in or not...?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
The 22 scrolls are the entire OT canon (39 "books"), and were so at the time of Christ. As the NT "books" (scrolls) were written, they became associated as scripture by the early Xian church in the first century, and the early second century. These of course were determined by early church leaders, but as time went on "heathen" books began appearing. They were weeded out. So the full answer to your question "in terms of what documents is not in it" is that once canonized, they aren't removed. In terms of the question "what document is in it", that was determined by the early Church.
(January 1, 2013 at 4:30 am)Aractus Wrote: The 22 scrolls are the entire OT canon (39 "books"), and were so at the time of Christ.

Sure.

Quote:As the NT "books" (scrolls) were written, they became associated as scripture by the early Xian church in the first century, and the early second century. These of course were determined by early church leaders, but as time went on "heathen" books began appearing. They were weeded out. So the full answer to your question "in terms of what documents is not in it" is that once canonized, they aren't removed. In terms of the question "what document is in it", that was determined by the early Church.

So would it be safe to say that in your opinion, it was a fully human process, which evidently involved cherry picking those documents that focused on Jesus' "humanity" the most?
(January 1, 2013 at 4:13 am)Aractus Wrote: Like most protestants, I don't believe any translation, no matter what language, no matter how old, to be scripture. The Bible was written in Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic, not in Latin, etc.

God is so lazy. After he finished the greek and hebrew copies, confronted with the other 6000+ languages he just said "fuck it."
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mark's Gospel was damaged and reassembled incorrectly SeniorCitizen 1 351 November 19, 2023 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 1016 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1296 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What do Catholics think of Frollo from "Hunchback of Notre Dame" story? Woah0 2 626 August 26, 2022 at 9:46 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Traddy Catholics on the ropes? Jehanne 16 2085 July 18, 2021 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Not just catholics! zebo-the-fat 109 9452 June 11, 2019 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Embellishments in the Gospel of Mark. Jehanne 133 13282 May 7, 2019 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 11729 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Catholics warring against the Pope? Fake Messiah 29 7525 November 27, 2017 at 6:52 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Dear Xristards Don't Pick On Muslims Minimalist 20 2557 July 24, 2017 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Cecelia