Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catholics warring against the Pope?
Catholics warring against the Pope?
Oh no! The pope said some time ago that divorced people can eat Jesus and that, apparently, gays are not so bad which left Catholics very pissed off especially the clergy that even plan to dethrone him and even "divide the Church":

Quote:This summer, one prominent English priest said to me: “We can’t wait for him to die. It’s unprintable what we say in private. Whenever two priests meet, they talk about how awful Bergoglio is … he’s like Caligula: if he had a horse, he’d make him cardinal.” Of course, after 10 minutes of fluent complaint, he added: “You mustn’t print any of this, or I’ll be sacked.”

To judge by the voting figures at the last worldwide meeting of bishops, almost a quarter of the college of Cardinals – the most senior clergy in the church – believe that the pope is flirting with heresy.

Last year, one cardinal, backed by a few retired colleagues, raised the possibility of a formal declaration of heresy – the wilful rejection of an established doctrine of the church, a sin punishable by excommunication. Last month, 62 disaffected Catholics, including one retired bishop and a former head of the Vatican bank, published an open letter that accused Francis of seven specific counts of heretical teaching.

To accuse a sitting pope of heresy is the nuclear option in Catholic arguments. Doctrine holds that the pope cannot be wrong when he speaks on the central questions of the faith; so if he is wrong, he can’t be pope. On the other hand, if this pope is right, all his predecessors must have been wrong.

The present crisis is the most serious since the liberal reforms of the 1960s spurred a splinter group of hardline conservatives to break away from the church.

(Their leader, the French Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, was later excommunicated.) Over the past few years, conservative writers have repeatedly raised the spectre of schism. In 2015, American journalist Ross Douthat, a convert to Catholicism, wrote a piece for the Atlantic magazine headlined Will Pope Francis Break the Church?; a Spectator blogpost by the English traditionalist Damian Thompson threatened that “Pope Francis is now at war with the Vatican. If he wins, the church could fall apart.” The pope’s views on divorce and homosexuality, according to an Archbishop from Kazakhstan, had allowed “the smoke of Satan” to enter the church.

The Catholic church has spent much of the past century fighting against the sexual revolution, much as it fought against the democratic revolutions of the 19th century, and in this struggle it has been forced into the defence of an untenable absolutist position, whereby all artificial contraception is banned, along with all sex outside one lifelong marriage. As Francis recognises, that’s not how people actually behave. The clergy know this, but are expected to pretend they don’t. The official teaching may not be questioned, but neither can it be obeyed. Something has to give, and when it does, the resulting explosion could fracture the church.

read full article
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/oc...are_btn_tw
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Catholics warring against the Pope?
(November 6, 2017 at 4:10 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: ...
"divide the Church":

Quote:...
Something has to give, and when it does, the resulting explosion could fracture the church.

They say that like it's a bad thing. Angel

I say it's a great way to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the division of the church.

Thumb up
The PURPOSE of life is to replicate our DNA ................. (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living ... (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind ..... (from observation)
Meh, so we end up with catholic and catholic lite, don't care. 

Aren't  most of the US parishioners catholic lite in practise anyway? The one I'm married to is.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Pedophilia will still be OK in both Catholic churches won't it ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I think the Pope has been hanging around too many Protestants lately and he's picked up some funny ideas . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 6, 2017 at 9:28 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Pedophilia will still be OK in both Catholic churches won't it ??

One might be allowed to advertise to correct falling numbers.
(November 6, 2017 at 9:06 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Meh, so we end up with catholic and catholic lite, don't care. 

Aren't  most of the US parishioners catholic lite in practise anyway? The one I'm married to is.

Catholic lite are what we call Episcopalians. Catholics with half the calories.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
This has been the norm for the RCC for all of modern history. Society changes, the RCC is forced to change with it to stay in the game, the hard core people are disgruntled but eventually grow old and die off. Rinse and repeat endlessly and that is why the RCC today (and those who call themselves Catholic) wouldn't have a thing in common with a Catholic from say, the year 1750.

Immutable word of God. ROFLMO

Oh yeah, or they make up so much shit that people get pissed off enough to just break off and form a new more "pure" religion, ala Protestants.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(November 6, 2017 at 10:06 am)Aroura Wrote: This has been the norm for the RCC for all of modern history.  Society changes, the RCC is forced to change with it to stay in the game, the hard core people are disgruntled but eventually grow old and die off.  Rinse and repeat endlessly and that is why the RCC today (and those who call themselves Catholic) wouldn't have a thing in common with a Catholic from say, the year 1750.  

Immutable word of God.  ROFLMO

Oh yeah, or they make up so much shit that people get pissed off enough to just break off and form a new more "pure" religion, ala Protestants.

Well now you're just being a heretic. Where did I put the comfy chair?
(November 6, 2017 at 10:06 am)Aroura Wrote: This has been the norm for the RCC for all of modern history. Society changes, the RCC is forced to change with it to stay in the game, the hard core people are disgruntled but eventually grow old and die off. Rinse and repeat endlessly and that is why the RCC today (and those who call themselves Catholic) wouldn't have a thing in common with a Catholic from say, the year 1750.

Immutable word of God. ROFLMO

Well, it only took them three hundred and fifty years to pardon Galileo. They're slowly moving into the eighteenth century.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1290 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What do Catholics think of Frollo from "Hunchback of Notre Dame" story? Woah0 2 621 August 26, 2022 at 9:46 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Pope Francis apologises for Canada residential school harms zebo-the-fat 10 1293 April 5, 2022 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Traddy Catholics on the ropes? Jehanne 16 2052 July 18, 2021 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Not just catholics! zebo-the-fat 109 9341 June 11, 2019 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Ex-Pope Benedict XVI blames 1960s revolution for sex abuse zebo-the-fat 27 3372 April 17, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: brewer
  Why do cardinals get to elect the Pope? Fake Messiah 26 1331 March 13, 2019 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Pope Fuckface Is Either Losing His Mind Or Remembered How The Church Traditionally Minimalist 12 2135 October 10, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pope's visit to Ireland turning into a fiasco? Fake Messiah 11 2262 August 27, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3591 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU