Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jesus, Least Fit Moral Judge
Jesus, Least Fit Moral Judge
I've posted this argument before but I think it deserves its own thread because its a question Christians need to answer.

Jesus is often seen in our society as the very yardstick by which morality is measured. "What Would Jesus Do" has become a cliche. Even non believers are taken in by the image of him as a great moral teacher. Christians think we will all stand before him on Judgment Day. For the sake of argument, let's assume they are right. Let's assume that Jesus is exactly who they say he is, a personal god who is watching over us right now and desires a personal relationship with us.

For the sake of argument, let's give Jesus a pass on all the suffering that occurs due to natural disaster. We'll gloss over all the unanswered prayers as people are drowned in tsunamis or buried during earthquakes.

Let's also give Jesus a pass on the evil that that most non-clergy miscreants do. We'll call it "free will" and gloss over the genocides of cruel dictators and the sadistic acts of child molesters (the non-clergy ones).

Let's pay attention only to the religion he inspired and watches over. Wasn't there something about "bad tree bears rotten fruit"? And since Jesus represents all that is good in the universe, a religion that promotes his name, that he watches over, should be a great force for good, indeed.

In reality, to take in all the pain, misery and stagnation that Christianity has brought to the world would be a mind-boggling task. For now, let's consider the more dramatic atrocities: the crusades, the inquisitions, the burning of "witches" and intellectuals, and the torture and persecution of non-believers, the heterodox and those of other religions. And the Protestants proved themselves to be every bit as bad as the Catholics whenever they had the opportunity.

If Jesus exists as the god Christians believe he is, he watched all this and more happen, all of it done in his name and his greater glory, and he... did... nothing!

He neither discouraged his vicars from their abuse nor did he intervene to prevent their atrocities. We can only assume that he either didn't care or approved.

A general at an international war crimes trial who knew about the atrocities his soldiers were carrying out, who did nothing to stop it, would be held to full account even if he never gave the order to commit the atrocity. Why should Jesus be held to any less of a standard? If anything, he should be held to a higher standard since he had far greater knowledge and power than a mortal general.

If Jesus exists and is a personal god that watched all of this happen, by his church and in his name by his vicars, and did nothing, then he is the least fit being in all the universe to sit in moral judgment over anyone. He is a monster, akin to Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Genghis Khan or any other blood thirsty dictator who ever walked the earth.

It is Jesus who should repent, not us. It is Jesus who should beg our forgiveness, not the other way around. And if I stand before him on judgment day, I shall tell him to pull the mote out of his own eye before lecturing me on any of my relatively petty sins. He may have the might but not the right.

Christians should justify why they serve such a tyrant.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: Jesus, Least Fit Moral Judge
Oh I imagine the excuses will pile up shortly.
Your entire argument is one of the major reasons I deconverted from catholicism and became an atheist. Though you articulated the argument far better than I.
It's complicated, you see Jeffrey Dahmer Jesus has a plan. and you just don't understand his plan.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
I expect there will be a lot of passing the buck in the responses.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
It's starting to look as if none of the fuckers will take up the challenge.

No surprise, there.
I already know what the response will be.

See, 'good' is only what God considers to be 'good'. And since he presumes to be the Ultimate Good, everything he does, or commands done, is good. If it seems otherwise, it is because you are judging God based on your own (and obviously flawed) human morality. God has a grand plan our puny human minds cannot begin to comprehend. Also, God is the most powerful being in the universe and might makes right. Therefore, God (as Jesus) is, and deserves to be, the ultimate moral arbiter. QED.

I've argued with Drich enough times, I know how this goes.
(January 6, 2013 at 5:56 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It's starting to look as if none of the fuckers will take up the challenge.

No surprise, there.

There WAS a Christian who posted here once who would unabashedly defend Jesus from this very argument. I think he was the one I originally used it on. His "logic" was most perplexing, very Orwellian in its double-think. I'm going to see if I can dig it up now...
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
It's only been two hours, but yes it does appear that none of our theist friends have the courage of their convictions, doesn't it? Faith is a fragile creature, so easily bruised.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Why do you say Christ did nothing? Are these acts still being carried out in his name? Has the bible been amended to command such a behaivor in Christians as some church leaders wanted? No?!? If Christ is the monster you have described then why put an end to these terriable acts? Why are we allowed to continue on slaughtering those who do not believe as we believe?

(January 6, 2013 at 6:35 pm)Stimbo Wrote: It's only been two hours, but yes it does appear that none of our theist friends have the courage of their convictions, doesn't it? Faith is a fragile creature, so easily bruised.

-Or-
"Your theist Friends" could ALL be doing something else on a Sunday... Hmmm What could that possiably be???Thinking

What in the world could ALL Christians be doing on a sunday that "you people" do not?Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moral Law LinuxGal 7 525 November 8, 2023 at 8:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 28833 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  At least it's not little boys for once Cyberman 14 4709 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  At least she didn't blame "jesus." Minimalist 15 3982 February 11, 2016 at 5:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Serious moral question for theist. dyresand 30 7304 September 1, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Why is Faith/Belief a Moral Issue? Rhondazvous 120 25082 August 21, 2015 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Recap - A moral question for theists dyresand 39 7191 July 15, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  A moral and ethical question for theists dyresand 131 17102 July 15, 2015 at 7:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is There a Point To Living a Moral Life? ronedee 323 122783 July 14, 2015 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  How can a book that tells you how to treat slaves possibly be valid moral guide là bạn điên 43 11971 July 11, 2015 at 11:40 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain