Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:21 pm

Poll: Do you want the UK to leave the EU?
This poll is closed.
Yes
15.00%
3 15.00%
No
35.00%
7 35.00%
I am not a Brit but would like them to stay
25.00%
5 25.00%
Not a Brit but would like them to go
25.00%
5 25.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Britain leaving the EU
Britain leaving the EU
Mhmm, well...

Camerons speech was held quite some time ago, but I have jet to receive a unbiased account of what a Brit may think of it and think of his country leaving the EU, having a Brit as dad and having been to the UK (where I still have some relatives) quite frequently, I know that the image of the average Brit as represented in the German media is a very inaccurate one, especialy concerning British conservatives.

The only thing I have found sofar which might be not that badly influenced by the German stereotyp view of the Islands inhabitants is a interview with Europes last free warcriminal.

Tony Blair:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/euro...80047.html

But I would really like to know what the Brits think of it and not their representatives, and I would like to read their views not through the view of the German media.
RE: Britain leaving the EU
I'll vote yes on leaving the EU. Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
* Nine shrugs his shoulders

I don't really pay attention to these things.. I probably should but I don't.
I am a Brit and a Politics student. I, like most lower class Brits, know that Britain leaving the EU is ridiculous, we would be nothing but a small floating island with no friends. We DO NOT have the resources like America, Russia etc to be an independent nation, we are a tiny island. The Conservative party are out of touch with the majority in this country and they won't be winning the next election so I doubt they will have a chance to take us out of the EU to be honest.

Also I come from Liverpool, a small city in the north of England, and most people living in the north, their cities actually receive more money from the EU and brussels than they do from the government! So I would definitely be voting YES on staying in the EU.
The reason why I will vote out, is because I think it's about damn time this country had it's independence back. 53M pounds spent every day just to remain a member. There's huge unemployment (especially youths) and we're being told that many millions more foreigners can just walk in and make themselves at home. Many of them aren't even checked. Brussels dictate our laws, who to trade with and who can come in. Work places in my town for example, like the cemetery. All British workers were fired and replaced by polish workers. A Comet warehouse, any Brit worker that was fired was quickly replaced with a foreign one. We've got a housing crisis, many greenbelts have been built on (which should never happen!). Getting a place of your own is now extremely difficult, getting work is about as hard.

So yeah, I'm with UKIP. Fuck the EU. Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGQIxYfKKtc

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I don't see how we would be any better off out of the EU. So some of our laws are made in Brussels, it makes no difference to me whether it's Brussels or London. You could say I didn't vote for them but I didn't vote for the Conservatives either.
(January 30, 2013 at 7:05 am)Zone Wrote: I don't see how we would be any better off out of the EU. So some of our laws are made in Brussels, it makes no difference to me whether it's Brussels or London. You could say I didn't vote for them but I didn't vote for the Conservatives either.

We'd have control over our trade and borders for one. The British people never voted to join the EU, the corrupt government joined the EU without our vote. We had no say in the matter, that's dictatorship, not democracy. Undecided

(January 30, 2013 at 7:16 am)Ace Otana Wrote: We'd have control over our trade and borders for one. The British people never voted to join the EU, the corrupt government joined the EU without our vote. We had no say in the matter, that's dictatorship, not democracy. Undecided

Being in the EU we have free trade and movement across borders in the EU which is good for our economy. We don't have vast amounts of North Sea oil like Norway nor are we practically all stinking rich with bank accounts full of money like the Swiz. People weren't given the vote originally because the mass of the British public aren't necessarily to be trusted to make the choice which would be in Britains future economic interests, they just vote for the people who know what they're doing. David Cameron does know that our future interests are best served by remaining in the EU but he is a weak primeminister who submits to pressure from Euroskeptics such as UKIP and a minority members of his own party.
The thing with Ukip from my perspective is, that also has a very homophobic and sometimes even racist policie, which makes them unelectable for someone like me (who doesnt even have a vote in the UK)

And about the unemployment question. 53 percent of all British exports are exported to the European continent, which is possible without the Buisnesses in the UK paying a toll and taxes on those foreign exports, because the EU (which was founded as an econommic union) banns tolls and taxes to be set on inter European trade. If the UK drops out, it also drops out of the economic treaty, meaning that it`s buisnesses have to pay taxes and toll again for their exports into Europe, and that trade treaties would have to be renegotiated with the EU, which could take up to 3-4 years.
Buisnesses would then consider to move production because the inter-european competition would be to big. Which puts 3 million jobs in the UK at risk.
Something your conservatives seem to enjoy forgetting.

But I dont mind, the concerned buisnesses are mostly engine building and engine construction and such buisnesses would then probably outsource to Germany to profit from our low tax rates, big education sector and experties in the engenering sector of the economy.

So if the UK would leave the EU, it would only work if the EU would collapse itself, shortly after you leave.

And if it doesnt, the UK leaving the EU will have very possitive effects on the German economy, bringing us closer step by step to ruling the world Tongue
Quote:Being in the EU we have free trade and movement across borders in the EU which is good for our economy.

Actually we gave them many of our resources. We don't actually have any say on who we trade with. Did you know we have to leave the room and let Brussels arrange who we trade with? Look at our economy, it's collapsing. Look at Spain and Greece, unemployment is enormous. We have no control. Another 29 million foreigners are now able to walk in.
How can things be any worse for us if we left?

Quote:We don't have vast amounts of North Sea oil like Norway nor are we practically all stinking rich with bank accounts full of money like the Swiz.
Norway was smart enough not to give away its resources to the EU.

Quote:People weren't given the vote originally because the mass of the British public aren't necessarily to be trusted to make the choice which would be in Britains future economic interests,

That's dictatorship. The government is supposed to be the voice of the people, not it's masters. This isn't the soviet union. Obviously the people knew best, we never should of joined the EU.

Quote:they just vote for the people who know what they're doing. David Cameron does know that our future interests are best served by remaining in the EU but he is a weak primeminister who submits to pressure from Euroskeptics such as UKIP and a minority members of his own party.

At least UKIP has a back bone. If the people ask for a referendum, for the sake of democracy, you're supposed to give such a referendum. It's called freedom, democracy. For the government to say no, we'll do this and you must obey, that's a dictatorship.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1157 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Anyone leaving if Trump wins? onlinebiker 39 2419 October 27, 2020 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Britain's Russia Collusion Scandal Foxaèr 3 603 June 23, 2018 at 7:45 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Petition: second referendum for leaving the EU robvalue 37 4344 June 25, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  I'm leaving Ron Paul land Videodrome 28 3144 February 12, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Eric Pickles: Britain still a Christian nation – get over it zebo-the-fat 3 1262 April 7, 2014 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  David Cameron says Britain is a Christian country. downbeatplumb 10 5802 December 16, 2011 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels
  Residents of Britain: Take back your freedom! Tiberius 6 2111 July 8, 2010 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn
  One of the reasons we won't be leaving Iraq anytime soon. Dotard 3 1589 April 8, 2010 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Disinter
  Church schools in Britain butterfingersbeck 12 6308 February 12, 2009 at 8:43 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki