Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LBGTQ people and drawing the line on second class citizenry
Video 
LBGTQ people and drawing the line on second class citizenry
As some of you know I have been posting a lot about LGBTQ equality lately and this talk I something I would like to share.
This talk is about sexually and human rights and where to draw the line on where to make somebody a second class citizen.

Background

For those Theists and Atheists and anywhere in-between who are homophobic I would love you view and after seeing the real faces of anybody who is not straight, Can you still look at are faces and deny us are rights.

And everybody else, your thoughts.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: LBGTQ people and drawing the line on second class citizenry
Those who oppose LBGT rights are no better than these people;

[Image: kkk.jpeg]
(January 30, 2013 at 4:14 pm)Dee Dee Ramone Wrote: Those who oppose LBGT rights are no better than these people;

Sure they are, until they stoop to lynching and beating people down and overuse of derogative language.

Which not everyone who opposes LGBT rights does, infact... a number of them are rather pacifistic and even rather proper in their stance against say, gay marriage, whilst harboring no ill-will toward gay people at all.

I'm not a fan of branding every person who disagrees with me a violently evil extremist terrorist. Please... that's an identical retardation to comparing someone to Hitler Tongue

I don't consider anyone in particular to be a second class citizen, but ultimately: you're gay even if you're only 1% gay, and you're straight even if you're 99% not... we typically refer to such as marginally bisexual (as in: bisexual only in very rare situations), and don't tend to associate them as such (since in everyday life, there's only a 1% chance of these things happening to them), and so many people who say they are straight are only mostly so...

And at the end of the day, if one spends massively more time experiencing 'straightness' than 'gayness': they are probably going to think of themselves as straight, and people around them will do the same.

The average person doesn't live in spectrums, they live in absolutes and exceptions (Black and White... biracial babies, Gay and Straight... bisexual weirdo, Man and Woman... chick with a dick, Mac and PC... linux). Things that don't comply with the set of absolutes that people tend to take for granted have a strong tendency to be ignored, forgotten, discriminated against, disliked, misrepresented, and/or a source for humor Smile Just how the world works, and it's going to take a lot more than TEDtalks to change absolutist thinking Wink

It's taken feminism a while for women to not generally be considered wholly quiet, passive, submissive, and dependent... really, it takes time and effort that a lot of people don't care to spend Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Re: LBGTQ people and drawing the line on second class citizenry
Well I think that's everything.

*puts the lights out and locks the doors*
Ofcourse a comparison to the KKK is an exaggeration. But I see those who oppose lbgt rights the same as people who are racists. And I am fed up with those folks, pacifistic or not, and I am glad I live in a country where such anti-gay bullshit is marginalized to the sewers of society. Fuck 'em and their proper stance.
Uhh.....what's a Q?
Re: RE: LBGTQ people and drawing the line on second class citizenry
(January 31, 2013 at 12:14 pm)John V Wrote: Uhh.....what's a Q?
Didn't you watch Star Trek?
(January 31, 2013 at 12:17 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(January 31, 2013 at 12:14 pm)John V Wrote: Uhh.....what's a Q?
Didn't you watch Star Trek?
Aw fudge I expected that reply but figured there'd be a pic.

Seriously though...
(January 31, 2013 at 11:14 am)Dee Dee Ramone Wrote: Ofcourse a comparison to the KKK is an exaggeration. But I see those who oppose lbgt rights the same as people who are racists. And I am fed up with those folks, pacifistic or not, and I am glad I live in a country where such anti-gay bullshit is marginalized to the sewers of society. Fuck 'em and their proper stance.

I'd actually be totally okay with everything but not allowing my girlfriend to see me while I'm hospitalized. And I think that's something that needs to be taken off of marriage and simply allowed, not something that should be used as part of why gays should be allowed marriage.

They, the people themselves, are not always racists... but their pastor's interpretation of their holy book often is quite so. I think that separating marriage from religion would do us all a lot of good Smile Religious marriage will always be possible... but it's a union before their gods, and should not be treated as a union before the state.

(January 31, 2013 at 12:49 pm)John V Wrote: Seriously though...

Queer or Questioning. The former is typically as part of gender identity, the latter as sexual identity.

Don't look at me, I didn't stick the Q there Tiger
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
What's the difference between queer and LGB?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Valk's toy line??? no one 7 365 July 12, 2021 at 11:23 am
Last Post: no one
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 979 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  Done with my nursing class Foxaèr 27 2265 July 10, 2018 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Learning Hindi as a second language Alexmahone 2 496 June 5, 2018 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Moral of the story, keep it on a line. brewer 11 1948 June 29, 2017 at 5:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Can I rant for a second, about parents NuclearEnergy 12 2181 December 20, 2016 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: PETE_ROSE
  Having trouble being civilized in Sociology class MusicLovingAtheist 3 985 September 23, 2014 at 2:30 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  The hardest class you've ever taken. x2theone2x 29 4397 February 19, 2014 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Vienna now the second largest German city. Something completely different 8 2723 July 21, 2013 at 6:08 am
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  The morality of the working class. Brian37 4 1762 October 10, 2012 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37