Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having trouble being civilized in Sociology class
Having trouble being civilized in Sociology class
Here's the problem. In sociology class there is often discussion of religion. Whenever the topic comes up my heart starts racing. I think I have been nurtured by my lifestyle to react to religion in such a way. My classmates however, often disconfirm or even reject my contributions to the discussion. I'm acting largely impulsively and often the consequences are that I get angry, I feel my self esteem drop.

I even heard one girl in class whisper "that guy is so stupid" when I asked the teacher if Africans thinking that aids is a curse would be an example of a "bad belief" when she said there are bad beliefs. On the next day the same girl told the teacher in the middle of class "I think some people like to be childish and say irrelevant things and should keep their mouth shut". teacher was talking about various types of norms: mores, folways and laws. I asked her if wearing an atheist t shirt I ordered would be a more and before she could answer, the same girl in the class who called me stupid yelled out "oh my god!" as her mom just embarrassed her or something.

At first when she did that my heart was pumping and I was in the heat of the moment, but for the next few days I felt some seriously toxic effects of this scenario. I felt depressed, angry, it hurt my self esteem. I went back into class today and when the teacher was talking about what we learn from families, schools, teachers, mass media, workplace, government, and religion, when the teacher finally got to religion and was asking for examples of how religion teaches us I raised my hand and said that it tells kids stuff that they're too young to make up their own mind about yet on what's right and wrong. She was either oblivious to what I was implying or she was just playing it off and she wrote on the board "it teaches us about right and wrong". The class was silent and I heard a couple kids laughing.

I just can't stand this sociology class. I want to instigate these kids, because I seriously hate this class. Every time I'm in this class I feel such anxiety, like everyone is my enemy and there's 100 eyes casting their judgement on me. Whenever I start to feel my blood boil though all of that psychological noise gets blocked out and all I can think of is how I want to say something provocative. I think about how if there was another atheist in the class that they would probably not appreciate what I was doing. I just don't know how I can go on in that class anymore. It's eating me up on the inside.
RE: Having trouble being civilized in Sociology class
First off, who cares, it's just a class. In a few years it will just be a memory and probably not a very important one. I'm sure that it feels important now as most things do, but it's probably not really life or death. Second: Fuck those people. Just continue to speak your mind, you will feel better about yourself and your self esteem if you speak your mind than you will if you let yourself be bullied into silence by idiotic mass opinion.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Why don't you tell the silly cunt to go fuck herself?
(September 22, 2014 at 6:14 pm)MusicLovingAtheist Wrote: Here's the problem. In sociology class there is often discussion of religion. Whenever the topic comes up my heart starts racing. I think I have been nurtured by my lifestyle to react to religion in such a way. My classmates however, often disconfirm or even reject my contributions to the discussion. I'm acting largely impulsively and often the consequences are that I get angry, I feel my self esteem drop.

I even heard one girl in class whisper "that guy is so stupid" when I asked the teacher if Africans thinking that aids is a curse would be an example of a "bad belief" when she said there are bad beliefs. On the next day the same girl told the teacher in the middle of class "I think some people like to be childish and say irrelevant things and should keep their mouth shut". teacher was talking about various types of norms: mores, folways and laws. I asked her if wearing an atheist t shirt I ordered would be a more and before she could answer, the same girl in the class who called me stupid yelled out "oh my god!" as her mom just embarrassed her or something.

At first when she did that my heart was pumping and I was in the heat of the moment, but for the next few days I felt some seriously toxic effects of this scenario. I felt depressed, angry, it hurt my self esteem. I went back into class today and when the teacher was talking about what we learn from families, schools, teachers, mass media, workplace, government, and religion, when the teacher finally got to religion and was asking for examples of how religion teaches us I raised my hand and said that it tells kids stuff that they're too young to make up their own mind about yet on what's right and wrong. She was either oblivious to what I was implying or she was just playing it off and she wrote on the board "it teaches us about right and wrong". The class was silent and I heard a couple kids laughing.

I just can't stand this sociology class. I want to instigate these kids, because I seriously hate this class. Every time I'm in this class I feel such anxiety, like everyone is my enemy and there's 100 eyes casting their judgement on me. Whenever I start to feel my blood boil though all of that psychological noise gets blocked out and all I can think of is how I want to say something provocative. I think about how if there was another atheist in the class that they would probably not appreciate what I was doing. I just don't know how I can go on in that class anymore. It's eating me up on the inside.

There are a few things you could do here, Next time that girls mouths off you could twist her words to make her look a like a idiot, you could find a way to switch classes, or you go in keep quiet and keep your head down. The first option is usually the most fun, if your nuts and can think on your feet. but honsetly the second option is best and the third is still good if you need to get through.
In the end though who gives a fuck what these people think, they sound like immature morons from you descirbed, and you really shouldnt spend your life concerned about what morons think.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Having, collecting and hoarding onlinebiker 67 3491 April 13, 2020 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Why do I keep having this same dream or at least a variation of it GODZILLA 13 1676 February 18, 2019 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Done with my nursing class Foxaèr 27 2280 July 10, 2018 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Share your protocol for having a cold Catholic_Lady 67 5777 March 25, 2018 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Having such a hard time in High School right now Distheist 7 1142 March 24, 2018 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Is it normal be a hetro-sexual and having no relationship experience? Sterben 61 5731 March 10, 2018 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Smaller trouble in little China? Naw, not really... Brian37 0 595 October 24, 2017 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Big trouble in little China? Local thing here. Brian37 13 2569 October 23, 2017 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why do I keep having an intense craving for orange juice? Edwardo Piet 25 27323 February 9, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Am I a jerk for having a car towed which was parked in my driveway? Whateverist 36 5528 April 29, 2016 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus