Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we respect Religion?
Should we respect Religion?
I was watching one of Dawkins Videos and It had me thinking.
Any my Question is this:
Should we respect religions as a whole?
And what I mean is stop being so polite when it comes to the religion its self (I don't mean being a complete jerk to any one person as that's just cruel) and to show everybody just how stupid and evil and irrelevant it is to the whole world.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Should we respect Religion?
No.

[Image: Respect.cartoon.gif]

Fuck 'em.
Dogmatic fairytales don't deserve respect, no.

Quote:show everybody just how stupid and evil and irrelevant it is to the whole world.
Yeah, that.
Respect is earnt.

Spoiler: They haven't earnt it.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
Respect? Thinking There are none of the world's religions that could really earn that word in my opinion.

Complete disregard for otherpeoples fantasies might be closer to the mark, if they want to believe I don't give a tinker's toss; and will quite happily strive to point out that their obsession of wandering about "spreading their fantasy dust" as quite infantile.

Funny, I read this this morning, seems like it needs to be here.... You have the choice of a long read or an hour of the 2007 presentation.

The Problem with Atheism - by Sam Harris

Quote:

http://youtu.be/ODz7kRS2XPs
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I respect religion, especially when I am poking fun of it. If I didn't find it noteworthy, it's respect would amount to that of the average tree: worth not walking into, not worth thought-space.

Respect is not necessarily only positive... if it is worthy of your consideration, it has garnered your respect Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Gooders,

Is there something you're not telling us? This combined with the 'powerful quote' thread suggests you are looking for permission to be a cunt. Jim Jeffries only said TRY not to be a cunt. Sometimes being a cunt is warranted. Take for instance this past Saturday.

I'm busy getting to know my wife of 18 years a little better at 9am and the doorbell rings. I of course ignore it, only to get pushed off for the sake of very localized 'homeland security'. Now, imagine my demeanor. Also visualize the fact that I carry two stone between my belt and diaphram.

I went downstairs, opened the garage door, lit a smoke, cracked a beer, drug my nose across my radius and asked the clean cut men in suits, "What the fuck do you want?". These assholes then proved they were the fastest humans with external tibial rotation. Impressive actually.

Moral of the story: if you are subjected to the occasional 'have a blessed day' bullshit, let it go. If the same asshole wants to 'witness' Jesus to you, drop the gloves and start swinging.
(January 31, 2013 at 1:47 am)cato123 Wrote: Gooders,

Is there something you're not telling us? This combined with the 'powerful quote' thread suggests you are looking for permission to be a cunt. Jim Jeffries only said TRY not to be a cunt. Sometimes being a cunt is warranted. Take for instance this past Saturday.

I'm busy getting to know my wife of 18 years a little better at 9am and the doorbell rings. I of course ignore it, only to get pushed off for the sake of very localized 'homeland security'. Now, imagine my demeanor. Also visualize the fact that I carry two stone between my belt and diaphram.

I went downstairs, opened the garage door, lit a smoke, cracked a beer, drug my nose across my radius and asked the clean cut men in suits, "What the fuck do you want?". These assholes then proved they were the fastest humans with external tibial rotation. Impressive actually.

Moral of the story: if you are subjected to the occasional 'have a blessed day' bullshit, let it go. If the same asshole wants to 'witness' Jesus to you, drop the gloves and start swinging.

I never express my thoughts on the 'powerful quote' thread you only interpreted it that way, I said I was stunned, I never said if I liked it or not. You only interrupt it that way.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Kill the religion, spare the religious.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Re: Should we respect Religion?
Lacking respect is healthy. What kind of nut job respects institutions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what age should a child be introduced to religion? Fake Messiah 82 5555 July 4, 2022 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Right of freedom of religion should not be a human right Macoleco 19 1557 May 26, 2021 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10717 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4905 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19815 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  How Do We Respect Other People's Beliefs? Rhondazvous 93 18087 September 10, 2015 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Are there religious figures you respect? Shinagami 19 4280 August 4, 2015 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49305 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Why should religion have any influence on our lives? MusicLovingAtheist 62 9112 October 12, 2014 at 2:18 am
Last Post: psychoslice
  How come people who are either hindus or buddhists respect Monotheism Richi1 0 866 December 27, 2013 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Richi1