Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is castrating young boys ethical?
Is castrating young boys ethical?
The last castrato singer died in 1913. It was a practice mostly during the rennasiance and baroque (but continued into the 19th century) to castrate young male singers before puberty to preserve their voice. Into adulthood they had a wide vocal range and could do things normal male and female singers couldn't do.

This practice was done a lot. It wasn't minor.

Put into historical perspective, they'd have a better chance of having their vocal career continue into adulthood.

Nowadays we don't have any castrato singers left and there's a large repretore of music that we can't authentically perform because of that. Would it be ethical to bring the practice back if it were voluntary? Or can children really make such decisions fairly?

Here's a recording of the last castrato:

Here's a synthesized approximation of a castrato:

My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Is castrating young boys ethical?
Of course it`s unethical!

Is there even a question to this?
It doesnt matter "how good" the musical performace would be.
One would infringe the individuals right to selfdetermination and health.
Questions which a child at the age of 13 couldnt answere and certainly not be made for a child.
Haven't there been sex change operations though done to children? Why are they able to choose that but not this?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
I dont know about that.

Really? Have there? I cant imagine that to be true.
(February 3, 2013 at 8:34 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Haven't there been sex change operations though done to children? Why are they able to choose that but not this?

If so, they are also unethical.

Children can't consent to such procedures.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(February 3, 2013 at 8:36 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: I dont know about that.

Really? Have there? I cant imagine that to be true.

It was probably hormonal treatments now that I think about it. But that would still signicantly affect their physiology growing up I would think. No? So it'd be a pretty big decision.

(February 3, 2013 at 8:48 pm)Annik Wrote:
(February 3, 2013 at 8:34 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Haven't there been sex change operations though done to children? Why are they able to choose that but not this?

If so, they are also unethical.

Children can't consent to such procedures.

What makes you say that? How do you determine at what age a person acquires the ability to consent? Is it different from person to person?
My ignore list

Jet that child wouldnt completly cut it`s sexdrive, like in this case.
There will always be variation between people, but children can't consent to just procedures because they can't cognitively understand what the consequences will be (as in not understanding the gravity of them). Here's Piaget's stages of cognitive development, which are well-worth looking over if you haven't heard it 10,000 times. Haha
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Castrating young boys ethical? Depends on their race. Fuhrer mode off///
As a parent, there's no way I'd let my sons be castrated, even if they had the most angelic of voices. Think of what they would be giving up at too early of an age to appreciate what they are losing, children of their own, a traditional intimate relationship... These are not things that a 12 or 14 year old should be thought capable of making permanent, life-altering decisions about. That being said both my boys were circumcised (by a mohel, nonetheless), which some would equate to castration, the anti-circumcision crowd can be quite militant.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Heart American Gods & The Young Pope AnubisBarba 4 416 March 25, 2020 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Ethical slaughterhouses purplepurpose 16 747 August 15, 2018 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Something young kids today will never understand Foxaèr 114 12481 June 2, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Awesome names for baby boys and baby girls ErGingerbreadMandude 37 3636 February 14, 2018 at 2:40 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Nick Offerman read tweets from young female celebrities Czechlervitz30 0 467 July 18, 2016 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Czechlervitz30
  No Young People Allowed Whateverist 22 2589 July 15, 2015 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  No boys allowed! BrokenQuill92 29 4018 July 15, 2015 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
Question Dear Americans: What's the leading cause of death among the young? Aractus 71 10683 November 20, 2014 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Meat eating ethical? Tea Earl Grey Hot 87 11639 June 26, 2014 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Apparently this is a thing now...I'm an atheist, libertarian, ethical computer hacker. Ask me anything. Tiberius 41 14004 February 3, 2013 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Shell B