Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nation wide legalization of marijuana may be in the works.
Nation wide legalization of marijuana may be in the works.
http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washing...-marijuana

Congress seems to be considering decriminalizing marijuana on the federal level and to regulate it like we do cigarettes and alcohol. However, it also leaves individual states the option of criminalizing it. It's interesting; this looks like it may very well be the next big political battle.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Nation wide legalization of marijuana may be in the works.
(February 6, 2013 at 8:07 pm)TaraJo Wrote: http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washing...-marijuana

Congress seems to be considering decriminalizing marijuana on the federal level and to regulate it like we do cigarettes and alcohol. However, it also leaves individual states the option of criminalizing it. It's interesting; this looks like it may very well be the next big political battle.

no way.

Seeing some of the morons in your congress I think this will not happen within the next 30 years.
I may be biased, but I love the hell out of this.
(February 6, 2013 at 8:09 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: no way.

Seeing some of the morons in your congress I think this will not happen within the next 30 years.

Maybe. Maybe not. I think the progressives are going to be more likely to support this just because so many young people use pot or know someone who uses pot and if they take a stand against it, they damage their standing with their own base. The Republicans, on the other hand, know they need to change something after the last election and suddenly supporting marijuana legalization gives them a progressive looking issue they can say support that won't significantly upset their base. It even fits in with their political theory of 'small, non-intrusive government.' This is a rare issue where I could see both political parties getting along.

.....plus, with as stupid as a lot of our politicans are, they know their electorate is going to have to be wasted to keep them in office. Rolleyes
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
I really think the political tide is starting to turn on this issue in the United States. Even ten years ago this was a fridge issue promoted mostly by libertarians and people on the far left. Now weed has been full out legalized in two states. It's amazing. I went from thinking it would never be legalized in my lifetime to thinking that it almost certainly will be legal everywhere in my lifetime.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Oh please oh please oh please...!
I recommend the democrats and republicants to settle this under the influence of XTC. Marijuana is then legalized in three hugs and a dance.
Quote:The Republicans, on the other hand, know they need to change something after the last election

About the only thing they are looking to change is their underwear.
(February 6, 2013 at 10:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:The Republicans, on the other hand, know they need to change something after the last election

About the only thing they are looking to change is their underwear.

Probably under the mistaken impression that that's the reason they smell like shit.
Wishful thinking, methinks. From what I've seen, the Republican party may be growing more and more right-wing.

Quote:It even fits in with their political theory of 'small, non-intrusive government.'
But really, since when have people who claimed to support "Small, non-intrusive government" actually followed through on those beliefs? I'm not saying that people don't really believe that this is a good idea, just that the people who do are hardly ever in power. This is the party who came close to turning America into a police state after 9/11 and has long been the biggest supporter of the military-industrial complex. "Small government" is just doublespeak bullshit along the same line as "States' rights."
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nobody who works 40 hours..... Brian37 26 3546 May 4, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Proof gun control works GrandizerII 115 6190 August 23, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theresa May resigning as PM Rev. Rye 17 1876 May 26, 2019 at 4:38 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Theresa May seen off the coast of Blackpool Cod 0 325 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Cod
  That's odd...I thought we were a nation of laws? GODZILLA 24 4830 June 25, 2018 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  We may have different points of view but can we still be friends? GODZILLA 26 3705 May 30, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I may get a lot of heat for this, but here it goes NuclearEnergy 31 8630 September 8, 2017 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Trump May End DACA Program Seraphina 30 9075 September 8, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Stay Out Of The Water Chris-Someone May Throw A Harpoon At You Minimalist 14 3649 July 3, 2017 at 4:02 am
Last Post: GUBU
  President Donald Trump addresses the nation scoobysnack 27 6531 June 12, 2017 at 4:38 am
Last Post: GUBU