Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about female worth in islam.
Question about female worth in islam.
I'm not very familiar with Islam. However, I recently had a small portion of it explained to me by a Muslim woman who goes to the same college as I.

According to her, a woman in Islam is worth 1/2 of a man. (She actually tried to argue that this was proof that Islam respects women. I don't know how she thought that saying women are worth 1/2 of men would help her case. Maybe she assumes that women outside of Islam are worth less than 1/2 of a male?)

At any rate, her English wasn't very good, so it's possible she meant that men and women are considered equal halves by Islam.

Does anyone here know if Islamic texts give any fractions for the worth of women? I will consider it bigoted and horrid unless 1 woman=1 man.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
RE: Question about female worth in islam.
Take a thorough read through the articles below and then and let me know if there is something not sitting well with you.

Equality of Men and Women as Stated in the Quran

The Status of Women in Islam
(February 13, 2013 at 12:45 am)Rayaan Wrote: Take a thorough read through the articles below and then and let me know if there is something not sitting well with you.

Thanks for the sources. Smile Based on the quotes, it seems very likely that the person I spoke with meant the 1/2 comment as in women are an equal half of men. (As in, not half of men, but an equal half of humanity.)

Edit-- However, upon googling outside sources, I noticed that there seems to be cherry-picking going on here.

"Call in two male witnesses from among you, but if two men cannot be found, then one man and two women whom you judge fit to act as witnesses..." Quran 2:282, "The Cow," Dawood, p. 47

"Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and forsake them in beds apart, and beat them." Quran 4:34, "Women," Dawood, p. 83

http://freethoughtnation.com/contributin...women.html

Is there a reason why these two quotes should be disregarded?
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
Since we're on this topic, could a muslim explain to me why women have to cover their hair? That's something I have never understood.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(February 13, 2013 at 4:43 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Since we're on this topic, could a muslim explain to me why women have to cover their hair? That's something I have never understood.

Blasphemy spread in the early Muslim society & ended up with a group of people accusing the prophet's wife (aisha ; which many people think she was a child) of being a whore.

In the same time, many of the surrounding tribes used to ambush Muslim women.

The covering of the hair & attractive body parts became a requirement for all Muslim women, to prevent blasphemy & rape.
(February 13, 2013 at 9:57 am)AtlasS Wrote:
(February 13, 2013 at 4:43 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Since we're on this topic, could a muslim explain to me why women have to cover their hair? That's something I have never understood.

Blasphemy spread in the early Muslim society & ended up with a group of people accusing the prophet's wife (aisha ; which many people think she was a child) of being a whore.

In the same time, many of the surrounding tribes used to ambush Muslim women.

The covering of the hair & attractive body parts became a requirement for all Muslim women, to prevent blasphemy & rape.

Aisha was not a child? How old was she then when they met?

Anyway...in other words if a woman has not covered up her hair and attractive body parts (you know that's subjective, don't you?), she shouldn't be suprised if she gets raped sooner or later? Or is it just a tradition?
(February 13, 2013 at 10:04 am)Dee Dee Ramone Wrote: Aisha was not a child? How old was she then when they met?

Anyway...in other words if a woman has not covered up her hair and attractive body parts (you know that's subjective, don't you?), she shouldn't be suprised if she gets raped sooner or later? Or is it just a tradition?

The external sources which Muslims use to indicate details about the prophet's life aren't accurate, nobody knows.

No, actually the penalty of rape & blasphemy stays either she was covering herself or not. As long as the penalty stays, the act is not justified.
(February 13, 2013 at 10:31 am)AtlasS Wrote: The external sources which Muslims use to indicate details about the prophet's life aren't accurate, nobody knows.

Mohammed isn't a vague mystical figure we don't know very much about people did write quite a lot about him, this was all compilled into the hadiths. So as far as we know Aisha was 6 when Mohammed married and 9 when he did the deed.

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Qur'an,_Hadith...lars:Aisha
(February 13, 2013 at 12:45 am)Rayaan Wrote: Take a thorough read through the articles below and then and let me know if there is something not sitting well with you.

None of those quotes state what would be obvious if the Quran supported equality between men and women, which is simply "Men and women are equal."

Clearly in Islamic law they are not. Women inherit half of what men do. Where is the equality there. I think the most clear example of how Islam is unequal to women are the divorce laws, men can divorce a woman at will where as women have to go through a lengthy and difficult process which involved giving up the custody of their children.

Considering that Islam is a religion and also a system of government, it's pretty difficult to make the case that Islam treats men and women as legally equal.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(February 13, 2013 at 10:31 am)AtlasS Wrote:
(February 13, 2013 at 10:04 am)Dee Dee Ramone Wrote: Anyway...in other words if a woman has not covered up her hair and attractive body parts (you know that's subjective, don't you?), she shouldn't be suprised if she gets raped sooner or later? Or is it just a tradition?

No, actually the penalty of rape & blasphemy stays either she was covering herself or not. As long as the penalty stays, the act is not justified.

So, if a lady doesn't cover herself properly...and then she gets raped...both the rapist and the lady will be punished (blasphemy, right?).

Where are the punishments described?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taliban stop female Afghan students leaving country to study in Dubai zebo-the-fat 43 3176 September 1, 2023 at 1:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Female cops for the first time in Mecca WinterHold 50 3761 July 24, 2021 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7784 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Has Anyone Come Across Any Evidence of Pre-Muhmamamd Mass Graves of Female Babies? ReptilianPeon 10 1429 February 7, 2019 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Its not so anti female as i thought it would be? Rufun83 20 1980 August 16, 2018 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Question about Near Death Experiences and Islam? arda101 11 4051 January 23, 2017 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5440 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Anti-Islam Dutch politician converts to Islam Muslim Scholar 58 33717 May 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Men should be allowed sex slaves and female prisoners could do the job. leo-rcc 60 24954 July 16, 2011 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Epimethean
  A friendly female muslim Ace Otana 11 6375 April 4, 2010 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Shell B