Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:31 pm

Poll: Do some people need religion?
This poll is closed.
Yes
62.50%
10 62.50%
No
37.50%
6 37.50%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do some people need religion?
As atheists, most of us recognize both the irrational nature of religious belief and the harm its' fundamentalist form does to humanity and the planet as a whole. Many of us, I'm sure, would like to see the day when religion finally ceases to exist.

A number of people, however, see religion as a positive force in society (most charities, for example, are religious) and in their personal lives (many addicts, for instance, recover with the help of religion), and would hate to see it go away. For some people, their faith is what keeps them going, gives them a moral framework, and supplies them with hope for their lives.

Obviously, this is a crutch, but is it a crutch some people need? Do these people need faith, or can they find what they need through secular channels? Do some people need religion?
All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love.
-Leo Tolstoy
RE: Do some people need religion?
I dont really believe anyone has done anything good purely because of their religion thats just my opinion though.

The days when i was in a friendly kind mood arent the days when i believed in god more, and the days when im feeling like i want to be mean to somone arent the days when i believed in god any less.

as for some people needing a crutch when it comes to dealing with death yeh some people go a bit mental about their loved ones dying, its one reason why i dont like to debate with christians who i know personally, the bible is so ridiculously unbelievable the only reason somone could believe in it is if they had something horrible happen like a close loved one dying and they really wanted to cling onto a hope they will see them again. Either that or they are just deluded , but the ive come across it time and time again where ive had a convo with a christian and a few minutes after the convo has gone to them being a christian it goes to how a while ago a friend or family relative died.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

[Image: keep-calm-and-the-cake-is-a-lie-4.png]

[Image: religion%2C%20in%20a%20worlod%20torn%20a...gion-w.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Religion is not an acceptable substitute for psychological therapy.
[/quote]

There was a time when it would have been possible to say that some people needed the THREATS of religion in order to live a moral life. That was largely in times when the average person could not even get an education. That situation still exists in some third world countries - and in that case - religion is one way to keep the masses of uneducated people under toe.

However- today - when education is almost mandatory for all children in civilized countries - there is no excuse for religion anymore. WE CAN get a moral basis for life without the need for religion

And with education - people can use their intelligence to see that religion is nothing more than a huge PONZI scheme to take their money - and offers nothing but very rich ministers spouting stupidity in return.

If you need the possibility of something after this life - in order to have hope - you still need to see that religions have NO KNOWLEDGE of such a place and could not get you there anyway.

Use this example - PRAY - pray for something as the bible says to - Ask and YOU SHALL receive. The ministers will quickly tell you that it must be something of god's will - and of course that admits that prayer is useless. If a god does what its will always - prayer is meaningless to it.

BUT - Try this one - PRAY that all of the babies and young children of the world who are starving to death are supplied with food by the god. Manna from heaven!!!! - Now - THINK - if it does not happen - why would letting a child starve to death be a god's will. AND more important - if it was - why would YOU bow down and adore such a monster?
You said religion is a crutch. Seems to me, the religious' legs have healed, but they're not confident enough to walk on their own.

In other words, no one needs religion... a lot of people just think they do.
It helps people like addicts short term.. In reality it also holds them back. They may have it to cling to for awhile but ultimately there is that point where something is no longer deemed useful.
I do think certain people wouldn't be alive without depending on religion to get them through the day. Faith is powerful. It can save lives.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Yes, sometimes it can help.... but overall, with all off humanity throughout all history in consideration, it is overwhelmingly negative

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do some people condone hell? SuicideCommando01 45 5388 May 22, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Religion: Simple Lies for Simple People Minimalist 3 531 September 16, 2018 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them? Cecelia 28 9481 June 3, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: J a c k
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10699 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  List of people who have no interest in joining a religion, ever robvalue 97 11587 January 31, 2016 at 7:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4893 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion? TheMonster 75 19326 November 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Why People Think They Need to Pray Rhondazvous 34 6583 October 14, 2015 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19757 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Oh, You Talk to God, That’s Cool! I Need Some Answers Salacious B. Crumb 40 10618 August 20, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb