Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it strange that I want there to be a God ?
Is it strange that I want there to be a God ?
I know this sounds dumb,I am an atheist, but part of me still wants to have some form of belief, that there is a God out there and there is more to existence than this life I have been dumped with.

But then I see what religion has done to the world , it has caused wars, suffering repressed people like me so I can't bring myself to accepting there is a god when I see the state the world is in.

What kind of God would allow the boxing day tsunami to happen? To allow HIV to become a pandemic? To let little kids be born in dire poverty?
RE: Is it strange that I want there to be a God ?
I wish there was a god too sometimes. I used to think there was..
But I realize now that reality as it is--can't possibly mean there's an omnipotent all loving, caring, or rightly Just god in existence. It's been a huge relief actually to know that god doesn't allow the wrongs of this world to go on for his own purposes, too. I dropped a lot of deep set grudges the day I dropped belief in a god.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
There very well may be a god. It's a possibility I can never rule out.

However living my day to day life as though there is one just seems like a waste of time if you ask me.
(February 18, 2013 at 5:53 am)pop_punks_not_dead Wrote: What kind of God would allow the boxing day tsunami to happen? To allow HIV to become a pandemic? To let little kids be born in dire poverty?

The sort of god that is so vast,so remote and so impersonal that we wouldn't even register.

In fact, the sort of god that is logically consistent with the ancient and almost infinite universe that science has revealed to us.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I never wish for it. And I fail to understand how there can be anything benefitial in it. What is it worth havin a supirior being or set of supirior beings which can effectively play arround with mankind as they wish due to the resulting infiriority of mankind.

I have lived a substancial part of my life being treated like a piece of shit, plus I live in a country which has probably displayed the horros which lie within such supiriority complexes. And I know human history and especialy the parts in which someone was declared supirior.

I trust my own reason and my own capacities to think and educate myself and to reach greater levels of knowlege and status through learning and work. To me, wishing for a god is like wishing to be a slave, it is like declaring that one is to incompetent to handle ones own affairs.
A god doesn't necessarily have to have all power and control over our lives, unless I'm mistaken.
He would still be by his or her or their definition "a supirior being".

And how is that something worth wishing for, when you are self determined, self aware and think for yourself?
I wish there was a god sometimes, because I love someone so deeply that only a lifetime with them would not be enoughWink
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(February 18, 2013 at 7:04 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: And how is that something worth wishing for, when you are self determined, self aware and think for yourself?

Something to do with a 'higher purpose'?
I wouldn't mind there being a god who after their death rounds up the nasty fucks and puts them in a pain amplifier for eternity.

I don't particularly want to die. The system of be born, improve for 25 years and then begin sliding into decrepitude sucks.

I haven't really been hit hard by the death of loved ones but I can see how that would push one to accept a god story.

The idea that god is love, he loves all of us, I just don't understand whoever made that one up. What's the point of him loving me if he's off on his fricken cloud somewhere.

You have the Norse gods created by warriors, in their version of an afterlife they get to continue being warriors, the mead never runs out and the serving wenches have perfect tits.

Ah anyway I don't want to pretend that existence is as I desire it to be.
[Image: YgZ8E.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 357 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  "You just want to be your own god"? zwanzig 48 4333 July 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3027 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 43121 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 30221 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16470 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished
  "There is a god because e = mc²" bheath 58 10494 February 24, 2017 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: bheath
  This is strange. Explaining stuff to myself. purplepurpose 26 7290 December 16, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Am I the only one who doesn't want to be called a "Skeptic"? Heat 35 9573 January 11, 2016 at 4:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Don't tell a Religious person "There is no God" Heat 46 8096 October 25, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mikazuki