Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Universe Was Never a Singularity
The Universe Was Never a Singularity
Often theists have made the argument that the universe comes from a singularity (BBT) and claim that only God could have created that singularity. I made my arguments here that the universe was never a singularity: http://soi.blogspot.com/

Any comments?
RE: The Universe Was Never a Singularity
(March 14, 2013 at 9:34 am)little_monkey Wrote: Often theists have made the argument that the universe comes from a singularity (BBT) and claim that only God could have created that singularity. I made my arguments here that the universe was never a singularity: http://soi.blogspot.com/

Any comments?

State of the art in physics can not reach to the point where singularity occurs, so we know nothing further of what happened before we actually come to singularity. So singularity is a stand in for "unknown". But at the points after the notional singularity when modern physics can still reach, the universe was already so compact that if matter was all there was, it was already inside its own schwartzchild limits. So the schwartzchild argument fails the smell test. The argument probably fails due to lack of account for negative gravity and dark energy in the energy equation, nor the inflation and expansion of space itself.

Some theories suggests that right before the comfort zone of modern physics, but after the notional singularity, gravity was briefly repulsive instead of attractive. If true, this would put paid to any schwartzchild like argument about how big the universe must have been at the beginning.
(March 14, 2013 at 11:29 am)Chuck Wrote:
(March 14, 2013 at 9:34 am)little_monkey Wrote: Often theists have made the argument that the universe comes from a singularity (BBT) and claim that only God could have created that singularity. I made my arguments here that the universe was never a singularity: http://soi.blogspot.com/

Any comments?

State of the art in physics can not reach to the point where singularity occurs, so we know nothing further of what happened before we actually come to singularity. So singularity is a stand in for "unknown". But at the points after the notional singularity when modern physics can still reach, the universe was already so compact that if matter was all there was, it was already inside its own schwartzchild limits. So the schwartzchild argument fails the smell test. The argument probably fails due to lack of account for negative gravity and dark energy in the energy equation, nor the inflation and expansion of space itself.

Some theories suggests that right before the comfort zone of modern physics, but after the notional singularity, gravity was briefly repulsive instead of attractive. If true, this would put paid to any schwartzchild like argument about how big the universe must have been at the beginning.

Thanks for the comment. Yes indeed, at planck level no one really knows what happens. In fact Arkani-Hamed has argued that at planck level, any energy used to probe that scale would result in that probing energy collapsing into a black hole, hence nature has tricked us in denying any investigation at planck level. The only way out of this is if GR and QM are no longer valid at planck scale.
From the beginning of time by Stephen Hawking.

Quote:At this time, the Big Bang, all the matter in the universe, would have been on top of itself. The density would have been infinite. It would have been what is called, a singularity. At a singularity, all the laws of physics would have broken down. This means that the state of the universe, after the Big Bang, will not depend on anything that may have happened before, because the deterministic laws that govern the universe will break down in the Big Bang. The universe will evolve from the Big Bang, completely independently of what it was like before. Even the amount of matter in the universe, can be different to what it was before the Big Bang, as the Law of Conservation of Matter, will break down at the Big Bang.

http://www.hawking.org.uk/the-beginning-of-time.html

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(March 14, 2013 at 1:31 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: From the beginning of time by Stephen Hawking.

Quote:At this time, the Big Bang, all the matter in the universe, would have been on top of itself. The density would have been infinite. It would have been what is called, a singularity. At a singularity, all the laws of physics would have broken down. This means that the state of the universe, after the Big Bang, will not depend on anything that may have happened before, because the deterministic laws that govern the universe will break down in the Big Bang. The universe will evolve from the Big Bang, completely independently of what it was like before. Even the amount of matter in the universe, can be different to what it was before the Big Bang, as the Law of Conservation of Matter, will break down at the Big Bang.

Thanks for the info. I find Hawking's take on this too speculative. It leaves the whole question wide open for theists to twart it in such ways to support their own position.
(March 14, 2013 at 1:44 pm)little_monkey Wrote: It leaves the whole question wide open for theists to twart it in such ways to support their own position.

What makes you think they won't do that anyways?
(March 14, 2013 at 1:31 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: From the beginning of time by Stephen Hawking.

The notion that information can somehow ever be lost through any event, such as passage through event horizon, or big bang itself, was championed by Hawkings. But it seems to have come under serious attack by professionally, if not popularly, equally prominent physicists in the last 20 years. Recently falsifiable predictions of exactly how data about the previous universe would menifest itself as observable phenomenon in our own universe have been published.

(March 14, 2013 at 1:50 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(March 14, 2013 at 1:44 pm)little_monkey Wrote: It leaves the whole question wide open for theists to twart it in such ways to support their own position.

They will do it no matter what, but what they do will add more confusion if it appears to the laymen to slide neatly through loopholes in scientific understanding that the laymen have understood to exist through popular science literature.
(March 14, 2013 at 1:50 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:

Take the case with Kauss' arguments in "A Universe From Nothing". It leaves the door wide open for: 1) how do you know that the energy of the universe is exactly zero? Where's the evidence? 2) No one has ever observed a universe “popping” into existence. How would the universe do that? Then you need to come up with hyper-laws, laws that exist before the universe existed, and how would you account for that?
You can see there is a whole can of worms with Krauss and those who claim the universe popped out of existence from "nothing". OTOH, stating the universe was never a singularity forces everyone to think in a different direction.
This entire argument proves only one thing that I can think of; that there are a lot of unanswered questions. Reading the OP link only proved this author had nothing more than an algebraic understanding of physics and cosmology. Which frankly is fine and more than most people, but the extrapolation to objectively deny the concept of a singularity based universal origin is just completely false. There is no objective proof of the beginning (or if there was a beginning) to be had. It makes far more sense to acknowledge what we are uncertain about and then find ways of becoming certain.
My religion is the understanding of my world. My god is the energy that underlies it all. My worship is my constant endeavor to unravel the mysteries of my religion. Thinking

Any comments?
Obviously it was never a singularity, lol. The more appropriate question is - was it empty, and if so, do the properties of the universe indeed cause matter to self-create?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16683 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 5184 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1172 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 407 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2469 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1869 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6278 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3913 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 6019 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big Rhondazvous 11 2480 November 8, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: brewer