Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your childhood misconceptions
Your childhood misconceptions
Funny/cute beliefs you held as a kid go here.

I thought bales of hay on farms were where frosted mini wheats came from.

I never could understand for a while why the rain stopped whenever the car went under an overpass.

I thought astronauts landed on the sun.

I thought Saturn's rings were solid.

Until about 5 I thought my dad was the president because he looks like Abraham Lincoln.

I thought all countries outside the US were like soviet Russia.

I thought I'd only have to take one piano lesson to be professional.

I thought the D in the Disney logo was a backwards G. I still see it that way.

The only possible explanation I could come up with for why there are flavored condoms was that genitals have tastebuds. After expirimenting with different foods I came to the conclusion that I had a disability.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Your childhood misconceptions
My first sentence was: "Manda tod. Manda hat nicht aufgepasst" - meaning "Salamander is dead, Salamander didnt look out".

Which was after I saw a squashed salamander on a road, not sure if I learned about taking care of traffic then, or realised that death existed.

Misconceptions? I and my parents remember and constantly remind me of a night when I was 5. I had a dream in which my parents came home and gave me a big mountain of chocolate.

I woke up, just in the moment as I had grabbed that enormous mountain of chocolate. So I went to my parents bedroom (it was about 4 am) and asked them where the chocolate was.

In that moment I realised the difference between dreams and reality.
I thought politicians were very smart and caring people

Then I grew up.... ROFLOL
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I thought that the sun and the moon were the same, it just got dimmer at night.
I believed in unicorns until my religious mother told me it was all a crock!
I knew that if I put on a cape, I could descend great heights unaided! (My dad stopped me just in time)
I cried the day George Reeves died, because the newpapers told me "TV's Superman Kills Self"
“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders
Ahh, the moon, I remember being very surprised to see the moon out during the day time, I thought that it only came out at night.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
I thought you could withdraw money when you needed it from ATM machines. I always thought people only took as much as they needed Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Until I was about 6 I didnt get the difference between my greatgrandma and grandma and was simply delighted to have two grandmas whilest others mostly only had one.

So I ended up calling on "Alte Oma" (Old Grandma) and the other one "Junge Oma" (Young Grandma), which my parents and uncles found so amusing that they started calling them like that aswell.
I thought they dyed the flamingos at the zoo in a vat of RIT dye.

When we visited my grandfather's house, I saw a photo from my mom's confirmation. I thought it was a picture from the future of myself.
My funniest belief came from my mom taking me to a big screen documentary nature film. I witnessed a fawn being born, but the shot of the mother dear was profile so all I saw was the fawn coming out of her backside. So made the ignorant conclusion that babies came out of the ass and not the vagina. Stupid me went on the bus the next school day Monday, and proudly proclaimed my new found knowledge only to get bitch slapped by tons of laughter. Then I stupidly tried to argue with the FEMALE bus driver who pointed at her crotch to correct me. I was only 7 but, still funny looking back at it, although it was not funny at the moment.
Re: Your childhood misconceptions
That all colourblind people could only see in black-and-white.

That waterfalls went down into bottomless pits (because it looked like the water was going into a hole)

That Sesame Street was a real place, but we couldn't afford to go there.

That Doctor Who was real.

That my Mum was Madonna (she looked like her, I swear!)

Reincarnation. But I had never heard of reincarnation, I just decided that when people died they must just live again as someone else.

My Grandad took me to a lot of WWII museums and exhibitions before I understood time, so I thought that any plane that flew over might drop a bomb and kill me.

That Mums chose what colour their child would be when they were pregnant.

That there were turtles living in the sewers. I would "feed" them by showing food into the overflow hole thing in the sink.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Things you miss from your childhood. Brian37 23 1621 May 19, 2021 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A Piece Of My Childhood Passes Away Minimalist 11 1904 July 28, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Fav toys/games from your childhood vorlon13 29 4898 June 30, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  A little childhood relic Something completely different 1 841 January 23, 2013 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Psykhronic
  Misconceptions about Homosexuality Dotard 79 32209 June 13, 2010 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Dotard